Wyoming Trip 5/12

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Wyoming Trip 5/12

Post by Melvin Eades »

Back on May 23rd, just after noon, Lucas, Clint and I headed out for Neb. on a 9 hour drive to our friend Dave’s house. We spent the night there and then around 6-6:30 am the next morning we were on the road to meet up with Dean, a friend of Clint’s that had invited us to Wyoming to shoot some prairie dogs and maybe a coyote or two. We had to stop along the way and take in the view of Lake McConaughy near Ogallala, Ne.

We went by Chimney Rock and little did we know at the time that we would later be hunting on the back side of it. More on that later.

We met up with Dean around noon before we got to Torrington and introduced each other and headed out to check out a location to shoot some prairie dogs. Some people I’ve talked to question why we shoot pd’s but if they could see how they devastate a property, they might understand. There wasn’t much left in this pasture for cattle to eat. We shot here till late in the day and then headed to the motel to get checked in.

The next morning we met up with Dean and headed out to one of his spots to try and call up a coyote before we started shooting pd’s. Just before we got there, we saw two coyotes out in a grassy field so we went on past them and set up on a big basin to the south and started calling. There weren’t any takers so we went to the north of where we had seen them and tried again. I took the backdoor and didn’t get to see what happened but shortly after they started calling, I heard a shot and Dean connected on a coyote with his Rem. 22-250 AI.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shooting more pd’s. One thing Wy. has is wind and plenty of it. 25-30 mph winds were common making for some tuff shooting on the longer shots. The next morning, Dean’s dad Don, went with us to a ranch run by Judy, a 62 year old lady that ran the ranch by herself. I would loved to of had the time to sit and visit with her and talk about the history of the area. Judy’s family owned the land that Chimney Rock is on and sold the Rock to the state way back when.

L-R is Dave, Lucas, me, Judy, Don, Clint and Dean.

While talking with Judy, two of her pet Longhorns had to check us out probably thinking we had something for them to eat.

We got out our guns and gear ready and headed out to try and call up a coyote when Don told us to keep our eyes on the ground because there were rattle snakes in the area. We didn’t go 100 yards when we saw the first one and then another one soon after that. Before the day was done, Dean almost sat on one.

We set up and started calling and after a while, a coyote showed up on top of a hill 466 yards away. It didn’t seem too interested in our calling and finally disappeared into a low area out of site to only re-appear on the side of a hill at 347 yards. The coyote stood looking our way for a while and then lay down like it didn’t care about our calling. Dean decided to take the 347 yard shot and it appeared that he hit it. We went and looked for it or any sign of blood but didn’t find any. When I got home I reviewed the video and I’m certain he hit the coyote. Notice Chimney Rock over the hill. Judy's family owned Chimney Rock at one time and here we were hunting on the southwest side of it.

We then moved deeper into the basin and set up again below the hills on a small rise between the hills and the flat of the basin. With the wind as strong as it was, I could barely hear them calling because I was on the other side of the rise watching the backside overlooking the basin. I figured there wouldn’t be anything coming from my way so I set my rifle down beside me and had my camera out taking pictures and looking at the far hills with my binoculars imagining in my mind what it would have looked like 200 years ago with buffalo roaming the plains. The sun was popping in and out when I noticed a tiny spec way out into the basin. I looked through the binos and saw it was a coyote that had worked its way in from the right out of a low spot and I could tell from this distance that it was mangy. I couldn’t get the rangefinder to give me a reading but I’m guessing it was out there around 800-900 yards.
Lucas had the video camera and was between the others and me so I whistled to get his attention and then got on the howler to try to get the coyotes attention. Even with the high wind, the coyote heard me but would not commit. Dean then started in with his distress call and the coyote started our way but in no hurry. It was working its way in but circling to my right and when it got to a small rise, it saw the trucks and started heading back out in front of me. It was still out there over 300 yards but I was hoping it would start coming back to us but didn’t. It was straight out from me heading to my left into the wind and I decided I’d better try a shot before it disappeared behind a rise 200 yards out in front of me. I howled with my voice to stop the coyote and held high for the distance but didn’t hold into the wind enough and just missed the coyote to the right. The shot was around 320 to 340 yards. The coyote started running quartering away from me so I lead the coyote and pulled the trigger and the coyote dropped instantly. We walked out to the coyote and the 39 grain Sierra B.K. hit the coyote in the head. I ranged the spot on the rise where I was sitting several times and got 380 yards. I’m glad it’s on video and there were witnesses because this was a long shot. After seeing this coyote up close, I can’t help but believe that God had a hand in this shot to stop the slow miserable death this coyote would go through in the months ahead. I was shooting my CZ 527 Varmint loaded with 39 gr. Sierra B.K. We then finished the day shooting more prairie dogs and bucking the wind.

I took this picture before I had seen the coyote.

This story wouldn't be complete without some pictures of prairie dogs that smiled too long at the flash.

Of all of the dead prairie dogs I saw, Clint gets top honors for the best "splat factor". He shot this one with a 32 gr. V-max and blew it up into the fence.

When I came across this, I wanted to bring it home.

The next morning we met up with Don and his wife to go down toward Cheyenne and shoot pd’s. at another spot. When we got there, the wind was blowing so hard that it was picking up dirt and blowing it in our eyes so we decided to call it quits. We loaded up and headed for Dave’s house and of course we had to stop at the “Mother Ship” of Cabela’s at Sidney, Ne.
We originally had planned to shoot until noon on Sunday and then travel to Dave’s house and spend the night and then leave for IL. the next morning but since we were leaving earlier than planned, we would just drive straight through to IL. Dave called his wife to meet us at York, Ne. on I-80 which would cut about an hour and a half off of the trip. There were severe storm warnings out for the area and just as we pulled back onto I-80, we saw a huge brown cloud to the south of us and we didn’t get a mile down the road when a dust storm hit us. All of a sudden the road ahead disappeared and Clint immediately pulled off and shut the truck off so the engine wouldn’t suck up any dirt into the breather.

We got back home around 2:00 am on Monday but it was all worth it.
Dean, we really appreciate you inviting us out to call some coyotes and shoot some prairie dogs with you and your dad. We had a GREAT time and look forward to more time shared with you guys. We had a lot of fun poking fun at each other and launching prairie dogs.
I’m sure I’ve missed some things so Dean, Clint, Lucas or Dave, feel free to add what I’ve missed.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Wyoming Trip 5/12

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.
The pic of Chimney rock reminds me of Road Runner and Wile E :D
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

thank you for the story. and pics.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Glad you guys had a great time. One of these years, I will make it back out with ya.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Thanks, cool trip!
K = ½mv2
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

WTG Melvin!! Glade you got out there and had a great time!! Thanks for sharing your adventures and pics with us. When our group was out there we hunted between Chugwater and Wheatland of route 25. Yep the wind does blow out there! My 22-250 was only good inside of 500 yards.( this was back in 1999 and I didn't have a 204 ruger yet). I also learned the true meaning of Kentucky windage. I then broke out my 7 STW with nosler 140 BT with a healthy dose of reloader 22 and this helped some my windage problems.
Thanks again and your adventures brought back some good memories and good times with friends .

Later
Ray P :lol:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for posting the great trip and pics, Melvin. I sure can relate to that prairie wind.....man oh man does it EVER blow out there! That's the kind of shooting that really makes a rifleman though.

Looks like everyone had a great time, 'cept maybe for the grass rats and that 'yote. :wink:

By the way Clint......great graphics on the "Fence-Hanger"! :lol:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Nice report and photos. Damage to varmints great.. Boy the way what load and caliber was used on the Longhorn? Sure removed hide and all :D :D Bill K :roll:
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Man, I gotta move WEST!!!!

Thanks a million for the tour!!
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Bill, that critter was shot out of pure necessity. Melvin can eat a person out of house and home. We would have had a lot more pic's of the beasts that were slain but ol Melvin kept the prairie pretty well cleaned off. He carries a set of fire irons, a small torch, a spork, and salt and pepper in his 'to go pack'. And here we thought he had calls, extra ammo, a range finer, bino's, and a bottle of water in it.

Sorry Melvin, I saw the opportunity and had to go for it. Knowing Judy, the owner of that ol longhorn carcass, it probably died of old age out there in the hard grass. We have to keep the yotes happy so we can call em in somehow.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Nice job. The fencer was a great Kodak moment. I will see if I can smuggle the wifes camera out with us next week for our annual PD shoot.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

I have some photo's and video of Clint making prairie dogs explode. I haven't used my photo bucket account for a while and I'm trying to get it opened back up. Its a long story. As the Eades already know I have posted the video's on my facebook account. If any of you friends of the Eades or anyone else would like to add me as a friend then go right ahead. I'm under the name David Zwiener. Just add a note that you are from the 204 board so I know its safe to add you.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Same goes for me .As dave said my username clint and then my last name.
WY-NE VARMINTS you forgot about melvins trailmix.
Yes i get to claim the fence shot that was taken with my m77 204 with 32 vmax but it wouldn't have happened if melvin hadn't spotted it. A trip like this is all about freinds family and good times. Everyone was shooting at top notch rate.
Getting to finaly meet wy-ne varmints and his family after years of emails and such was great and look forward to it again.

Maybe melvin will post the footage that lucas got of melvin shooting his coyote.
WY-NE i have said it before and i will say it again Thanks for the great time.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Melvin--It is good to hear you had a great hunt. Thanks for posting the story and all the great photos.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Great stuff. People don't realize the great memories a trip like this creates. Friends, family and fun. What's not to like? Glad melvin kept the pd's from going to waste! :mrgreen:
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?