aftermarket stock for ruger 77 mark ii (newer model)

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
agross

aftermarket stock for ruger 77 mark ii (newer model)

Post by agross »

I was thinking of replacing my wood stock that came with my ruger 204 to try and get a little better accuracy. I have already had a timmney trigger put in last summer and was thinking that if i replaced the stock with a synthetic pillar bedded model my accuracy might increase a little more.

Any suggestions or experience with either hogue, mcmillan or anyother brands nad are they really "drop in" as advertised??
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: aftermarket stock for ruger 77 mark ii (newer model)

Post by Hotshot »

I've put a couple Ruger 77 mkII in the Hogue stocks with timney triggers and I loved 'em. Accuracy was great.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: aftermarket stock for ruger 77 mark ii (newer model)

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Since you are thinking of replacing the stock why don't you experiment with the old one and glass bed your action into it. I glass bedded mine and it allowed me to shoot tight groups with the 32gr bullets which it wouldn't do before. With a drimmel you can easily float the barrel and remove a little wood around the action so that you can bed the action with Brownells Accuglass. I haven't pillar posted any of my rifles yet but that is on my agenda. For $25 dollars you can get a kit that will do four rifles and with a little study you can pillar post them two. Once I glass bedded one I did two more. You learn by doing. Give it a try! I Glass bedded both my Rugers with the walnut stocks and it allowed them to shoot tight groups with the lighter bullets one was a 204 the other a 270. I found the lament stock to be very soft wood and very easy to work with they really benefit from glass bedding. If you do decide to glass bed use quiwee nuetrel shoe wax as a releasing agent. To your answer a stiffer stock will help your accuracy. My Rugers shoot very tight groups now.