Tell me your Ruger accuracy tricks

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

Tell me your Ruger accuracy tricks

Post by GlennGTR »

I would like to know what you guys to to upgrage the performance of your Ruger rifles. i have a 204 ultra lite that shoots half moa but have had only mediocre accuracy out of my 260. All input is welcome.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Tell me your Ruger accuracy tricks

Post by acloco »

Sporter or Varmint barrel?

Free float the barrel
Bed the action
..and on a Ruger, you might have to put an aftermarket trigger on. Some of these are hard and tall triggers to pull on.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: acloco steered you right on, but I'd add that when you bed the action, create a small pad, or bed for the first 2" of barrel just ahead of the receiver ring, directly under the chamber for proper barrel support. This creates a bed for the barrel, and does not put stress on the action by having the barrel hanging out there unsupported.

I'd also suggest using the Rifle Basix sear for the Ruger. Cheaper than a full trigger assembly, and makes a world of difference, giving less pull weight, and eliminates creep and overtravel. I installed one on my old tang safety M77V in 220 Swift, and it feels like an entirely new trigger. ;) (Easy installation too.....)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I didn't have to bed my ultra light. I did float the barrel and added a Timney trigger this is a MKII. It shoots excellent. I have bedded the actions and floated all of my Rugers with wood stocks and worked on all the triggers. The MKII's all have Timneys on them The M77"s I would use the Rifle Basix sears. I don't know why the synthetic stock didn't need bedding but the wood stocks deffintly needed it. It allowed me to shoot lighter weight bullets in my .270 and 204 standard weight rifles. My 7mm mag that shoots great won't group the 100gr bullets very tight I might just glass bed it as this is what allowed me to shoot good groups with the lighter bullets in the other rifles.