Switching barrels/calibers

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
LeeC

Switching barrels/calibers

Post by LeeC »

As I understand it, with the exception of the Savage target actions, Savage makes only two actions: long and short. Correct?
So, in theory, my 12VLP in 204Ruger can be rebarreled (changing bolt head, of course) to .260, .308 etc. or any other shorts action cartridge, with the exception and the short magnums. Am I correct in this assumption?
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Re: Switching barrels/calibers

Post by YoteSmoker »

You're kinda correct :D All actions including Savage are short (308 win, 223 rem, 300 wsm examples) and long (30-06 based cartridges ect), and some long magnums like 300 rum etc. If you wanted to go from say 204 ruger to 308 win, you could use the same action but you would have to change out the bolt face for .473 face to accept the 308 win case head. Same idea for WSM or SAUM etc. Also same concept for long actions, you would need a magnum bolt face to turn a 270 win into a 7mm mag for example. The nice thing with using a long action is you can shoot short action cartridges through it and reach the rifling because of all the space in the magazine.
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

The nice thing about the savage actions is you can easily switch barrels and headspace yourself at home with a action and barrel wrench and a set of go/no go gages in a matter of minutes. No gunsmith required.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Thanks Yotesmoker. I just love that handle....how do you keep them lit? I did a winter project; got ahold of a 110 on the cheap in 30-06, re-stocked it with a B&C Duramaxx, SSS trigger, and have yet to get my Shilen 6.5x55 barrel. Thought I'd try a little long-range match stuff this spring. Just wanted to make sure my short action would hold the stiffer loads.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

Interesting. I've just re-finished a sporterized m95 mauser 6.5 and am excited to try some test loads at the range. Are you planning to shoot the 142 a-max? Mine won't take the hot loads that yours will but it will work ok for deer with either a 129 btsp or 125 partition.
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

Oh and I like to light them up with a 32 or 55 grain v-max. But they go out pretty quick!
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Yote-I keep well within the loadbook specs with my Mod. 96 Swede, but I only shoot it once in awhile just to keep its muscles limber. It's 100 Yrs old, and I don't push it. It's straight as-issued except for the front sight which I made a tall sight to shoot at 100-300 yds. It does quite well with A-max and IMR 4895.
The 110 I'm building I need to push 139gr Lapua's and 142SMK's to 2800 or better, so I plan to start with RL-22. Seem's that will give a bit more velocity with less pressure.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Yote- PM sent. Lee
YoteSmoker

Post by YoteSmoker »

Replied to LeeC
Rifle 223
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Rifle 223 »

LeeC wrote:As I understand it, with the exception of the Savage target actions, Savage makes only two actions: long and short. Correct?
So, in theory, my 12VLP in 204Ruger can be rebarreled (changing bolt head, of course) to .260, .308 etc. or any other shorts action cartridge, with the exception and the short magnums. Am I correct in this assumption?
I send you a PM
Dale in OK