Timney Triggers ?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Utahshooter01
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Timney Triggers ?

Post by Utahshooter01 »

After waiting the better part of a year to finally get a Timney trigger for my Howa Varmint rifle, a friend located a new one and got it for me, upon trying to install it I discovered that with the safety on, it would NOT fit on the receiver, with it OFF it went right on and feels great compared to the factory trigger, but I would NOT have a safety ! I called Timney this Morning and was advised to grind the ear off and that it would work then, I complained that for a trigger that was high dollar and supposed to be the best on the market that I shouldn't have to grind or otherwise correct their product at home, I was told that "Thats just the way it is, they didn't design it, they just sell it" WEll, I won't be buying any more of their products.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Timney Triggers ?

Post by WrzWaldo »

Utahshooter01 wrote:I complained that for a trigger that was high dollar and supposed to be the best on the market that I shouldn't have to grind or otherwise correct their product at home, I was told that "Thats just the way it is, they didn't design it, they just sell it" WEll, I won't be buying any more of their products.
If you had of done a little research on installation you would have known that before you spent the money.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/InstallIn ... 201500.pdf

I'm glad you will be passing on future Timney purchases as with a lower demand the prices will come down an I can buy more of their triggers.

Thank You!
WW
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Three posts and not a positive word in any of them.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I had one installed on a Howa 1500. Best thing I could have done to it. Original trigger was a major POS. I believe the trigger in question is for a Weatherby Vanguard which while it uses the same action is NOT a Howa. Anyhow, I knew going into it that it needed slight alteration and it worked great.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

The trigger:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

The note: Timney Trigger Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500 with Safety Blue 1-1/2 to 4 lb

This Trigger is adjustable for pull weight, creep, and backlash. Minor fitting may be required. Instructions included.

Read the reviews while you are at it...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okey-dokey then, here's a positive note for this thread....

I've got many aftermarket triggers in my rifle battery, Jewell's, Canjar's, Timney's, Rifle Basix, Moyers, custom CNC-made units, and some I'm probably forgetting (CRS ya know...), and in many cases, even the high-dollar units have all had to have stock material reworked, ears/tabs milled or ground off, and some sort of dinking around to some degree to get them to work in the parent rifle.

This is part of owning and shooting a modified rifle. The sweet little Sako Vixen L461 sporter in .223 Rem pictured below is one of my walking varminters. It wears a Timney that I had to work on for three evenings to get right. Three evenings! In the end though, it is a sweet trigger, and the time spent working on it is now moot, as it's always been one of my pet rifles. The Timney trigger breaks right at 1.5 lbs like a glass rod, no creep or overtravel, and is a pure joy to shoot. The trigger wears an Ace trigger shoe that makes the pull weight seem even lighter

I'd install the trigger in your Howa, do whatever it takes to get it right, go shoot it and decide for yourself if the effort was worth it. I bet you'll be pleased you did, and the rifle will take on a new, favorable personality, and maybe become one of your favorites. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

RIO's post reminded me of the RifleBasix I installed in my Marlin HMR. I had to grind a little off the side of the trigger as it wanted to rub. I pair of gloves & a little light touch & go grinding & it was ready for a permanent black marker. Sharpie to be exact!! :lol:

Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

Someone has to keep the gunsmith in business I guess...
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

It's too bad your initial experience with a Timney trigger was negative. Personally, I think they are one of the best aftermarket triggers on the market. I have several Timney triggers (> 10) and have installed them all. Some take a bit of fitting, some drop right in. As some of the other folks have stated, the final product is well worth the effort.

As for the Howa 1500, I have several of them as well. The older models do not have a slot in the receiver for the tab you mention. The newer 1500's have a slot and the modification is not required. So, you have two choices: grind off the tab per the instructions or take the rifle to a competent gunsmith and have him rework the existing trigger. Existing Howa triggers can be successfully reworked and will yield a very nice trigger with no creep.

Good luck on your installation.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I installed a timney on my howa 1500, with hogue overmold stock. I had to take a little rubber off inside the stock on the safety side, as per the instructions. i just used my pocket knife to make the adjustments needed. I also installed a timney in my Vangard in 223. had to do some trimming on the same spot inside the stock, no big deal.
IMHO, I think you may have judged the trigger assembly to harshly, without experiencing a really fine trigger. I will never return either of them, unless there is a problem with either of them. Best of luck in your quest for a really good trigger.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

A drimmell is a great tool to have if you are going to do work on your guns it works great for floating barrels, bedding actions. and trigger work. Makes short work of it.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Have a Timney in a 1917 .30-06, made a big difference over the original military two-stage trigger. Huge improvement. Had a Rem 700 Sendero with a Timney too - nice shooter and the trigger was good. No problems with either.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Hey Rick
That looks like Mt. Shasta in the background! :eek:
TD-Max wrote:This is part of owning and shooting a modified rifle. The sweet little Sako Vixen L461 sporter in .223 Rem pictured below is one of my walking varminters. It wears a Timney that I had to work on for three evenings to get right. Three evenings! In the end though, it is a sweet trigger, and the time spent working on it is now moot, as it's always been one of my pet rifles. The Timney trigger breaks right at 1.5 lbs like a glass rod, no creep or overtravel, and is a pure joy to shoot. The trigger wears an Ace trigger shoe that makes the pull weight seem even lighter

NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.