My "New" CZ Hornet

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

My "New" CZ Hornet

Post by glenn asher »

I was on the hunt for a .22 Magnum when I stumbled across this CZ Hornet. Since I've already written it up, and all the trials, tribulations and other stuff, here's the story.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/index.p ... opic=14038

Yep, I'm lazy and I don't care to repeat myself :wink: , but I've posted pics and the whole, sordid story, for all who care to read about it. One of these days, I'll get around to shooting it and finding out what's what and who's who, but another CZ has entered the fold, and it should work out okay.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: My "New" CZ Hornet

Post by Lenard »

Glenn, I read your post a day or so ago on varminter. I like mine and it shoots good. But, the one thing I would change would to have the magazine hold a little longer OAL on the cartridges. I did read on one forum where a gentleman removed the magazine block and modified it so he would seat bullets longer. I just might do the same one of these days.

Congradulations on a fun cartridge.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Glenn - when you going to get out and shoot this thing????
Doveryai no Proveryai
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Big_Bullseye wrote:Glenn - when you going to get out and shoot this thing????

When old man winter takes a nap, the old stinkpot has been snowin' and blowin' more than I care to mess around with. He's gettin' on my nerves a whole bunch. :mad:

It's not so much the cold, but the road to the range that I use. It gets NO SUN most of the time, so if there's any snow at all, the road isn't useable. It's a public range, but the DNR closes the gate when the road is icy, as it's really hilly and rough to get out of. The hill going IN, is steep going down, the other side is more gradual and passable, but when you leave the place, that steep hill bites you on the behind. I've been stuck there before, and got lucky when some others showed up and gave me a push, but I vowed NOT to get in that situation again. Add the danged street tires on my overpowered truck, and I'd get stuck for sure. It spins too easy as it is (4.0V-6 in a light pickup).

The snow/ice hangs around for a week after it's clear everywhere else. That road is a PITA.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I hear ya..... This whole Cooper thing is cramping my style. I sold two guns to buy this 280AI and its driving me nutty that I can't order mine. And you know how long I have wanted a 280 ackley...... frustrated.
Doveryai no Proveryai
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Well, if you can't find the rifle you want right away, go ahead and order it from a dealer you trust, even if it takes four months, it'll be worth the wait. On the other hand, I'll give a critical eyeball to the one at Whittaker's next Saturday, if the trip goes thru as currently hoped.
Whittaker's is worth the trip all by itself, they stock at least 50-60 Coopers at all times, and that's a LOT OF INVENTORY MONEY. :eek: They also have about 4000 or more guns in stock all the time, it's an amazing place. It's always elbow to elbow in there, too, guys come from all over the place to see what ol' Darrell's got this year..........

My Hornet situation is frustrating, but I'm relearning patience, and that ain't all bad. :mrgreen:
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Just so you know, some of us have been getting some relief on the weather. I took the hornet out yesterday and today and have come to conclude, it shoots better than me with little gun and 40 grain Sierras.

Hope your weather breaks soon, as you might get into depression.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Lenard wrote:Just so you know, some of us have been getting some relief on the weather. I took the hornet out yesterday and today and have come to conclude, it shoots better than me with little gun and 40 grain Sierras.

Hope your weather breaks soon, as you might get into depression.

Well, the weather is supposed to break this weekend :cheer: , but I promised Todd (Big Bullseye) that I'd do a Whittaker's run to check out an Excaliber (Cooper 52) for him :wall: If my buddies don't drag out the trip too much, I might be able to muster up enough energy to burn some powder on Sunday. The Range Box is already packed up and ready to put in the truck, the rifle is cased and ready, just hoping the weatherbozos are right for a change. :camper:
My buddies have been cooped up in Indy all winter, too, and they are fevered up with cabinitis, just like me. We'll get it all done, it's just a matter of getting off my behind and getting busy.