Help me find my Cooper

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Help me find my Cooper

Post by Big_Bullseye »

So I was pretty excited to find the Cooper I wanted on Gunbroker and I called to ask about it and they called me back Saturday when unfortunately I was tied up with my family. I called them back this morning 30 minutes after they opened and they had sold my dream rifle 10 minutes before I called.

So I have called around to no avail and I figured what better place to ask for some help than on this forum as I know there are alot of Cooper shooters on here and I figure you all have different sources for your rifles. I already own one and this on would be my second.

I am looking for;

a Model 52 excaliber in 280AI and here is the catch. I want it in the new sierra camo composite stock. There was one on Gunbroker and that was the one I was going to buy up until it got sold.

I'm not crazy about waiting 4 mos for one so please let me know if you know where one is. I already have a call into Cooper to see if I can find out where they have recently shipped one.

thanks in advance.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Help me find my Cooper

Post by Glen »

Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Whittaker has one 280AI in a 52 Classic and to be honest the owner pretty much talked me out of it because he said the wood was only so so. I asked him to take a photo and he said they have no way to do that. So, I have a friend in KY who is going to swing by there this weekend and give me a read on the wood.

I really have my heart set on the desert camo composite Cooper........ I screwed up today big. Should have been on the ball.

Thinking about going custom now and have been browsing a few custom builders. Any suggestions down that avenue would be appreciated as well. I really like the Jarret beanfield rifle but that is a whole lot more money than the 2K I was going to spend today.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Big_Bullseye wrote:Thinking about going custom now and have been browsing a few custom builders. Any suggestions down that avenue would be appreciated as well. I really like the Jarret beanfield rifle but that is a whole lot more money than the 2K I was going to spend today.
Not trying to question your thought process, but I am a bit confused. You previously said that you didn't want to wait four months for the Cooper, but you're entertaining the option of a custom rifle? Again, nothing wrong with that. I'm just curious.

I don't have any personal experience with Jarret's rifles, but it sure seems like you pay a premium for the name.
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Your right.... I thought maybe if I was going to wait I may start looking at building or buying a custom rifle.

Glennasher from on here is going to take a look at a 52 classic at Whitakers this weekend for me. The wood is really really dark according to the owner and he wasn't crazy about it.

I'm not sure which direction I am going. I should just order what I want and have some patience I suppose.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BigBull: I'm not sure what custom builder you could contact that would build you a "custom" for two grand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but ten years ago I had two built by one of the top custom techno-rifle builders in the country, and both cost over $2,600 each at that time. I waited for each one for just over a year.

If you really want a nice rifle for under two grand, better keep looking at Cooper. Remember too, that "good things come to those who wait".....(I know that doesn't help one bit ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Big_Bullseye wrote:I should just order what I want and have some patience I suppose.
In my personal experience, that road always leads to happiness (and costs less). If your heart is set on the Cooper with the desert camo composite stock, you'll probably have a twinge of regret buying something else.
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Rick in Oregon wrote:BigBull: I'm not sure what custom builder you could contact that would build you a "custom" for two grand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but ten years ago I had two built by one of the top custom techno-rifle builders in the country, and both cost over $2,600 each at that time. I waited for each one for just over a year.

If you really want a nice rifle for under two grand, better keep looking at Cooper. Remember too, that "good things come to those who wait".....(I know that doesn't help one bit ;) )
Re-read my post. Nowhere did I say that two grand would be the price of admission for a custom. I understand the costs and I said a custom would be a whole lot more than 2K.

The cooper I wanted was close to 2K. Cooper actually gets another 200 for that desert camo stock which is weird.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Got it. You may as well order the rifle you want. Any other choice sounds like it would be a compromise, and like Mike said, you'd probably regret not having waited later.

It's been said here many times in the past, but for the money spent on a Cooper, you're time and money ahead in regard to a custom unless you need a BAT, Hall, Nesika, Viper or similar action on your new rifle. Cooper could probably whip you up the rifle you want in less time than a full custom would take, as they're more of a production oriented outfit compared to a single craftsman. But you already know that.

If you run out of Cooper dealer options, I know of at least two near here that may be able to help. Let us know.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I went and eyeballed the Cooper-in-question this morning, and it wasn't a pretty sight, in fact, it was pretty bland for a Cooper. It reminded me of my own CZ Fireball, which isn't an eyecatcher (for a CZ Fireball, I got the short end of the stick :? stockwise) Don't get me wrong, it was a nice enough rifle, but not "that kind of money nice" stockwise. I've seen plenty of CDL Remington 700s with prettier stocks, frankly.

There were 60-70 Coopers in stock at Whittaker's this morning, so I really had to look for that rifle, and I have to say that the wood quality has fallen off a bit since I first noticed the Cooper brand. They are still head and shoulders overall nicer than other production rifles except maybe some of the Kimbers, but not as nice as they were a couple of years ago.

Sorry, Big Bullseye, but I can't recommend that rifle with that stock on it.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Big_Bullseye

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Glenn - Your a heck of a guy for looking at it for me. I sent you a note on that other site, I broke down and after sweet talking a gal at Cooper and talking with Mark at first stop I will have the rifle that I originally wanted in my hands in about 30 days. I sent the check off on Thursday to First stop in Rapid City.

I ordered the model 52 Excalibur in 280 ackley improved with the desert camo stock, fluted barrel and spiral fluted bolt.

Already got my dies, bullets, brass and a box of factory Nosler ammo or it. Just need a scope and rings ad I'm all set.
Doveryai no Proveryai
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Hey, I was riding down there anyway, to help get over the cabin feveritis-ness. I only spent $5 on gas, riding with a couple other guys who were also experiencing winter blues, and got to eat at the World Famous Moonlite Bar-Be-Que, where the buffet is outstanding. I sure can't complain about that! :wink: It did me good to get out there and see some sunlight, and some nice temps (low 50s). I ain't fussin' :wtg: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Not trying to hijack thread, but does anybody own a Varminter with a laminated stock; how do you like it? I was looking for a Phoenix Model 38 (V) in .221 Fireball. Might have found a .221 but it has laminated stock, a type which I have never been crazy about. This will be an "everyday" rifle, so durability is more important than a fancy stock (already have a 21 .204 Varminter in walnut.) Laminates seem to be so heavy, but Cooper literature claims their synthetic Pheonix is actually heavier than the Lam. and solid-stock Varminters.
Also, are barrel lengths of the 38 model Varminter style shorter than the model 21s? Both are claimed to be 24".
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I saw some "plywood" Coopers on the previous trip down there, but none this time around. Either they sold well enough, or Darrell sent them back, I dunno which. :mrgreen: It was the first time I'd seen a Cooper in laminate, which didn't excite me any, to tell the truth. When I think Cooper, I think of nice wood, not laminate or synthetic, but, that's what I've been conditioned to, since first noticing them (I can't afford one :( ).
However, laminates and synthetics have their place, and it's on an "everyday" rifle, so if you find one that you like, it's probably smarter to get one, if you prefer wood over synthetics. No doubt they are stronger and more forgiving than walnut, and almost as stable as fiberglass. My brain says they are pretty good. My heart says, "if you're spending that kind of money, get a nice stick on it".
Oh well, if I could afford one, it would be walnut, because I have other stuff in Synthetics, and I work with plywood at the job, so it's "out".
Mike

Post by Mike »

RowdyYates wrote:Not trying to hijack thread, but does anybody own a Varminter with a laminated stock; how do you like it? I was looking for a Phoenix Model 38 (V) in .221 Fireball. Might have found a .221 but it has laminated stock, a type which I have never been crazy about. This will be an "everyday" rifle, so durability is more important than a fancy stock (already have a 21 .204 Varminter in walnut.) Laminates seem to be so heavy, but Cooper literature claims their synthetic Pheonix is actually heavier than the Lam. and solid-stock Varminters.
Also, are barrel lengths of the 38 model Varminter style shorter than the model 21s? Both are claimed to be 24".
Just my personal opinion, but seeing a laminated stock on a Cooper makes me want to cry. Walnut stocks will always be my first love, but I can also appreciate the Phoenix from a durability standpoint and don't mind the look of them either. Laminate seems to offer the worst of both worlds. It will never hold a candle to walnut aesthetically and offers less durability than synthetic models.

With that said, spend your money on what makes you happy. There's enough demand for laminated stocks that Cooper rolled some out, so there are at least a few who disagree with me. :)