222 necked down

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
paddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 btcss .204 ruger

222 necked down

Post by paddy »

g'day fellas, my mate has a very nice rifle chamberd in 222rem necked down to .17rem
but he has no more brass for it.
i would like to know how can i make up some brass or
if anyone in the states has some they would ship to aus.

thanks guys
sending aussie game to aussie hevan 39gr at a time
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: 222 necked down

Post by RAMOS »

I may be off my nut here but, is'nt a .204 a necked down .222? If that is the case, why not neck down .204 brass? I'm just guessing so please, someone, correct me if this is wrong.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS: You're not a nut, but the 204 Ruger is the 222 Remington Magnum case necked down, shoulder moved forward and increased to 30*. It is much longer than the 222 Remington case and is not suited to making 17 Tac brass unless you used form dies and neck turned the finished product.

paddy: The best best would be to have your mate obtain a set of 17-222 dies from Redding et al, and then have the ability to form his brass from 222 Rem brass at his liesure. A bit spendy, but well worth it overall IMO.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Thanks Rick, just knew it could not be as simple as that!
paddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 btcss .204 ruger

Post by paddy »

blah, sounds like a serious pain in the clacker, i know him he wont be botherd with it all.
i might try n convince him to sell it to me then i will make them all up myself i dont care how much it cost or how much time it takes, i have shot this gun before and it is very nice rifle.

how exacley do you neck down brass? it could not be as easy as getting a 222 case and hitting it with a 17rem die is it?
sending aussie game to aussie hevan 39gr at a time
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

paddy wrote:blah, sounds like a serious pain in the clacker, i know him he wont be botherd with it all.
i might try n convince him to sell it to me then i will make them all up myself i dont care how much it cost or how much time it takes, i have shot this gun before and it is very nice rifle.

how exacley do you neck down brass? it could not be as easy as getting a 222 case and hitting it with a 17rem die is it?
Serious pain in the CLACKER? (now that is funny! :lol: )

Just place the cartidge in the shell holder and slowly run it through the sizing die, in and out.

It turns out that BRASS is fairly malleable. So a small reduction in section for most normal wildcat cartridges is not a problem.

.222 - .170 is about 0.052" or about 0.026" on the radius. The bore is then reformed on the upstroke by sizing pin.

Sometimes you may be required to trim the overall length of the neck, but given a trimming tool, this is not a big deal.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

paddy: If your buddy goes the die forming route to make his cases, make sure that he's aware of neck turning, as those cases will surely be too thick in the neck after forming, and will require neck turning for safe chambering.

It's not really a big pain in the clacker (never heard a hiney called a "clacker"....that IS funny), and is worth the overall effort in the end, especially for cases you cannot buy over the counter.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails