Varmint 30-06??

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Varmint 30-06??

Post by GTOHunter »

This was accounts from a few Hunters I have talked with about shooting the BT bullets...I'll go a step further and re-sight my Browning .270 WSM with the 130 grain Winchester Ballistic Tip bullets and see what effect they have on Coyotes this coming year and possibly take out a Deer with the same said bullets in the up-coming 2011 Rifle Deer Season?These were not BT shot 15 years ago either...I'm looking for a Manufactured date on the box I have and don't seem to see it anywhere,I'm thinking 3 to 4 years old at the most?Do I shoot the Deer in the Lungs,Heart or go for a Shoulder/Scapula shot to see what damage it will give? :chin:

Winchester Short Magnum 130 GR. Ballistic Silvertip SBST2705
WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

I used the 30-06 acelerators,,( havnt seen them in years) If I rember right it was like a 45 gr.22cal . I did take out a few yotes with them, worked good just not a long range bullet. IMOP
I think it was me....or the wind.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

GTOHunter wrote:Do I shoot the Deer in the Lungs,Heart or go for a Shoulder/Scapula shot to see what damage it will give?
I suppose it depends if you want to eat much of the deer or not, as any shoulder shot will produce alot of bloodshot meat almost every time, from any caliber. More velocity = more bloodshot shoulder meat. I'm sure most would agree that a good lung or heart shot is the way to go. Unless you "want to see what damage it will give" on a shoulder shot. :doh:

(I've fed a few jello deer shoulders to the bears that were hit with 130gr .270 bullets....from any manufacturer, even other high velocity calibers, really doesn't matter.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Chris, Since were talking about blowing up coyotes I'll show a photo. I couldn't find the pic I wanted to show but you will get the idea with this one. I shot this yote just over 300 yards with a 7MM. Loaded with a stiff handload and a 140 Nosler. I wish I would have had a 120 Vmax loaded instead for this shot. I think it would have been better. You cant really see it in the photo, but the tops of both shoulder blades are gone. The chunks of meat and bone missing are impressive. The photo does not do it justice. I shot this coyote with this load ''Just for fun" lol. and yes I did hear a loud whoooouuuumpppphh!!!! at bullet impact.

I also shot one in Colorado last winter with this load. I shot that coyote at 200 yards. The coyote was quartered to me and the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and the blowout occurred on the opposite rear hindquarter. This was the most impressive explosion I have ever seen on a coyote. Most of that rear quarter was gone. The leg was hanging on by fur! The amount of meat and bone chips on the snow were amazing. I must have hit the hindquarter bone just right for this kind of blowout. I looked for my pics but my wife must have deleted them or something because I cannot find them.

I dont usually load the 7MM for this but for impractical fun it sure worked!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

Post by chris_32212 »

:eek: lol ...wow. The aftermath on that one is pretty gruesome! ...almost makes me feel like river dancing. lol. jk.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Going back over older posts and ran onto this one. I must agree with Rick (RIO) on Nosler. I have been using them since they came out, many moons past, and they, like many other bullet companys, have improved thier products. The BT and partitions have been a go to bullet for many calibers and hunts on animals from PD's to very large game. There are many good bullets out there and if the truth was known, the sometime comments about the bullet not being good, is more often, that the shooter did not make a good and proper hit on the animal, they were aiming at. Bill K :)
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Now many years ago, I tried out some 110 grain bullets out of both the .270 Winchester and the 30-06 caliber! I noticed that both would "frag out" if they were to hit a heavy piece of grass or weed. Now when they made contact with the coyote, it would blow a 4 inch hole on the outside and travel almost clean through making a big hole. Sometimes I got an exit wound but not always. The coyot or groundhog never went more than 10 paces. The groundhogs would be cut in half a lot of times. A front shoulder hit, took off the shoulder and head!

I also noticed that they were only good for around a 175 yards accuracy speaking. I good never get much of a group with either caliber at 200 to 350 yards really. I even tried the sabbots in the 30-06 but it was the same ordeal was with the plan bullets. :roll:
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

A friend uses the Winchester Pointed soft point 125 gr in a 30.06 for coyotes and says it expands very well...but then he shoots desert dogs and does not keep the pelts.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Interesting thought. 30 06 is allot of muster for varmits! Consider this, a 30-06 cartrage necked Up to .358 is a 35 Whelen. Capable of taking any large game in north america, and most in Africa! Says allot for the cartrage! I have loaded 125 grain noslers in .308 but have yet to coyote hunt with as yet. The reason I do not is I have to question why? Personaly, I loaded 125 grain Noslers in .308 to have a spare varmit rifle if my oldest son wanted to give it a try? I guess i never considered blowing up a coyote? I have to admit though, 26 grain varmit grenades in .204 on a ground squirrle is very devastating and cool! I think perhaps barrel twist in the 30. 06 might become a issue? Would the jackets spin off the bullet with light .30 cal bullets? Would it vaporise from velocity after leaving the barrel? I would like to know? Keep it safe!
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

chris_32212 wrote:I was talking with my dad who just purchased a used Savage 30-06 and we started to wonder how a 30-06 bullet would fair against a coyote. The first thought I had was that it would blow straight through and not deliver its energy very efficiently unlike the .204. (obviously still plenty deadly against a coyote though). Everyone here knows the light weight .204 fragments violently due to the high speeds so it makes sense that if you could drive a small grain frangible .30 caliber bullet at very high speeds, it might perform similarly but on a bigger scale? It sounds like a possible recipe for exploding coyotes. lol. Any thoughts? comments? or experience with bigger calibers in this manner? It would be pretty amazing to watch a coyote get blown in half, like when the .204 hits a prairie dog. lol.

Chris
30-06 will turn a coyote inside out.....almost literally....I know, I have done it....the cavitation alone would be big enough to blow a yote in half.....
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Post by 204_au »

On this note I wonder how the 110 gr bullets from Sierra would do in a 308 or 30.06 (wouldn't expect to see exploding coyotes though). Don't really have a need for them, just ended up with a box when someone was transfered from my Navy days just hate to see them go to waste.
I used to load the 110gr, Sierras pushed by 50 grains of Varget in my 308 and the thing that really stood out was how light the recoil was compared to my 165 gr, Pro Hunter loads. They shot extremely well on paper at 100 yards and were quite destructive on foxes, although beyond 200 yards bullet drop is excessive as is wind drift. Loads of fun too shoot, hard on barrels, and not very practical if you have a 204 or 223 in the safe ;)
TRG300WM
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom

Post by TRG300WM »

Deleted
Last edited by TRG300WM on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Has anyone tried the "Accelerator" round that they made for the '06...? I remember reading about them but never tried them....they were like a sabot round for the larger calibers........Thanks.....Paul
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Pmoper wrote:Has anyone tried the "Accelerator" round that they made for the '06...? I remember reading about them but never tried them....they were like a sabot round for the larger calibers........Thanks.....Paul
Yeah, way back when they were first introduced. Blazing speed, dismal accuracy. They were not worth the price of admission, and went the way of the Dodo bird.

The marketing angle was to appeal to guys who didn't own a varmint rifle, but wished they did. Total marketing hype, no real value whatever.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails