Which Rifle would you pick?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Which Rifle would you pick?

Post by Mike »

jrwoitalla wrote:Coopers are great guns, they just keep getting more and more expensive! Can you even touch one for less than $1800 today? In that price range I'd consider the Sako 85 too.
I think the regular Varminter goes somewhere around $1,500 these days. With a bit of searching and patience, a guy can find a gently used model for a few hundred $$ less. Sometimes you luck into even better deals than that.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Snakeshooter wrote:... ordered a Tikka T3 Hunter LH with a walnut stock.......... beginning to think I may have made a poor choice
My brother has a T3 Hunter in 22-250 and I want it :D
Nice looking gun, shoots sub MOA with cheap factory ammo, and feels really nice. A little light for on the bench, but you could carry it all day.
And it's essentially a Sako - You won't be disappointed
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Pa.Bill wrote:
Right now my mind keeps going back to a single shoot Remington .204/26" heavy barrel, finger hole in the stock.
I think its $1200. Good looking with a fancy gray/black stock.
As for the 22-250 ---Great caliber also and did shoot it some. Just thought the 204 was a bit better.
If we're thinking the same rifle, that is a XR-100 and they were offered a few years ago in 204, 223 & 22-250. They were single shot, matt blue finish in a gray/black laminate thumbhole stock with a vented (Buick forend). Those rifles are not Model 700 actions so just be aware. In fact, they are the XP-100 action (the bolt action pistol) they made several years ago.

I woud encourage you to throughly check out all brands and pick which one suits you.

I have a CZ-527 and I like it but like all brands, it does have it's quirks. The set trigger is nice, especially from a bench when load testing and the barrels are primo. It is clip fed so you'll have to see if that is a bother for you and the bolt handle doesn't always clear the scope requiring some modifications or another bolt handle. But they barrels, they look as good as any Shelen, Kreiger or Obermeyer down the tube and they really can shoot very...very well. Another quirk is the safety is backwards from my Remington(s), Ruger, Savage & Weatherby. Personally, I wish they had a internal box vice a magazine, but thats just me.

I tend to favor Remington's myself because there is just so much out there for them. All of my new ones have always shot well out of the box but I imagine when Remington exchanfes their fecal filters one some "burd(s)" manages to squeeze thru and the same can be said for any of them in that regard. IMO, some of Remington's stocks in recent years (SPS comes to mind) are down right horrible and I would replace it right away myself.

I really do like the feel of Sako/Tikka. I'm not famalier with the new Winchester/FAL so can't comment on those.

Some like Savages and there is no deneying they shoot pretty darn good out of the box. And their Accu-trigger is a nice feature. I have a Savage 17 HMR and it shoots darn good out to 200 yards and all I've ever done is feed it & clean it. I would certainly consider them if they have a model you like.

There is Cooper, Kimber and a host of others (Christensen Arms etc) that are on the upper scale if you will. In the end you will have to see how they fit/feel.

HTH,
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Of note, you can buy two or three Savage rifles for the price of one of the others mentioned.

So....buy a Savage and buy some quality optics...you won't be sorry.

If you put your nose to the internet, you can find some exceptional deals on quality optics. I have purchased several Leupold fixed 16 power Mark 4's for 700/800 range. M1 turrets and a variety of reticles are available.

Remember....you cannot hit it if you cannot SEE what you are trying to do.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Any heavy bolt gun or Contenders,and #1 Rugers Varmint,will do,as long as it's a 204r.King of the prarie IMO.Heavier stuff is for the 1000+ yd hero shots.My G2 Contender surprised me on distance.Taking Dogs out to 400yds,and barrel would only get warm during fast shooting ,20 Ackley Bee, w/32gr Noslers @3250.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

If you are looking at a XR-100 in any caliber I wouldn't pay $1200, vs getting a cooper. I have one XR in 223, it is a nice, heavy package, and they were supposed to have been built by the custom shop if memory serves, but even with the 40x trigger adjusted to 1.5# at it's lightest, it isn't worth that over any other remington, IMHO.

My other 223's shoot bugholes and the XR comes in around 3/8", but I only shot one load through it... too many varmint rigs purchased this year and not enough time to do good load development, especially when other guns shoot better currently.

Cooper is good, Remington is almost as good, CZ is cool but too light for me and hate the magazine sticking down so I got a single shot follower to eliminate the ugly magazine.

Good luck on the hunt

Allen
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Pa.Bill wrote:
Right now my mind keeps going back to a single shoot Remington .204/26" heavy barrel, finger hole in the stock.
As for the 22-250 ---Great caliber also and did shoot it some. Just thought the 204 was a bit better.
Pa.Bill,

Like Allen I wouldn't pay that much for one. But, if you really like it (and they're nice rifles) then you'll just have to decide if it is worth it. Do look around on; "gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com because I have seen them on there in the past anywhere from $600-$900 dollars in all calibers originally offered (204, 223 & 22-250)". IIRC, they were selling for $800 dollars @ Sportsmen’s Warehouse & Cabala’s when Remington was making them. I almost bought one but I ended up with getting a pair of Remington VLTHSS models in 204. Though similar there are some differences;

- Stocks: single shot vs. repeater.
- Finish: blued vs. stainless.
- Trigger: 40x vs. X-Mark Pro.
- Actions: XP-100 action vs. Model 700.

To me, they both felt the same when handled.

Out of the boxes both of mine shot so-so. After they got a bedding job, free floated barrel and a new crown they would shoot side-by-side with my buddy's 204 Cooper and my CZ. But for $1200, I'd go with a Cooper and never look back.

HTH
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

How about a TC Venture.
5R Rifling, MOA guarantee, and at least here, they are about $425.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

The CZ is a good rifle but I don't like detachable clips! Also the safety on the CZ rifles is backwards to most other rifles made. I did in fact choose the RUGER in a heavy barrel and the caliber is a 25-06 for those far down range shots on song dogs. :D
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

You could always build an AR.... get a good barrel (Shilen, Kreiger, Hart, etc...) and you are almost there.

BUT having said that... I'd go bolt gun if I had to do it all over again. I hate full length sizing, lubing, etc. Just neck and occasionally bump size for the bolt guns... I can't afford several guns, so when I sold my bolt to finance the AR a I stuck myself with the situation... but I'm happy anyway!!
TONK

Post by TONK »

I favor the RUGER because it is the closest rifle to the model 70 Winchester! I am a model 70 Winchester Guy and been one for over 35 years give or take. The next pick for me would be the SAVAGE with their new trigger it is a "cat's meow" and I am not whislling Dixie either Gents. I brought one home a year or so ago and went back and picked up another for me and 2 for the wife by golly. These have got to be the most accurate "Out Of The Box" rifles I have ever owned. The remarkable thing is, that they all shot below 1.5 inches with factory ammo. 8) :mrgreen:
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I got stuck at the mall with the wife last week to cool off during the big power outage/heat wave. Wandered down to Dick's Sporting Goods and saw a special-order catalog on the gun dept. counter. Had some pretty good prices and a surprisingly broad selection of rifles. Noticed a C-Z 527 Varmint in .204 for $550, but wasn't able to hunt down a pimply-faced employee for questioning - as per usual. Am not a fan of some of the aforementioned C-Z quirks, and don't like the too-light American platform (had one), but am awfully tempted to get one of these bargains. Love my Cooper .204, but wouldn't mind something with a magazine - especially a detachable one - and something to use as an everyday knockaround rifle.
TONK

Post by TONK »

Rowdy I had one and I must say, it shot very well with Hornady factor 50 grn ammo! It would shoot 1/2 inch groups all day long from the bench. The set trigger dealt me a fit, mostly because I would not shoot it all the time and soon forget the feel is extremely light on the set trigger, about 1.25 lbs on my rifle. So I would often "screw-up" that first shot and the varmint or predator would hightail it clean out of sight.
K22

Post by K22 »

Jim White wrote:
Pa.Bill wrote:
Pa.Bill,

Like Allen I wouldn't pay that much for one. But, if you really like it (and they're nice rifles) then you'll just have to decide if it is worth it. Do look around on; "gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com because I have seen them on there in the past anywhere from $600-$900 dollars in all calibers originally offered (204, 223 & 22-250)". IIRC, they were selling for $800 dollars @ Sportsmen’s Warehouse & Cabala’s when Remington was making them. I almost bought one but I ended up with getting a pair of Remington VLTHSS models in 204. Though similar there are some differences;

- Stocks: single shot vs. repeater.
- Finish: blued vs. stainless.
- Trigger: 40x vs. X-Mark Pro.
- Actions: XP-100 action vs. Model 700.

To me, they both felt the same when handled.

Out of the boxes both of mine shot so-so. After they got a bedding job, free floated barrel and a new crown they would shoot side-by-side with my buddy's 204 Cooper and my CZ. But for $1200, I'd go with a Cooper and never look back.

HTH
Good post and excellent info. I agree, for $1200 a Cooper would be an excellent choice, but I must admit, I am very partial to Kimber Rifles. My out of the box 204 Kimbers shot very acceptable groups.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

RowdyYates wrote:Am not a fan of some of the aforementioned C-Z quirks, and don't like the too-light American platform (had one)...
I too have thought about unloading my CZ [American] mainly because shooting from a bench it warms up pretty quick. But...for a walk-around/carry rifle [where it is currently regulated too] it's hard to beat.

Jim