Low Recoil & Big Distance...?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
204hotrod
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLSS 4-16 X 56 mildot Millett varmint scope

Re: Low Recoil & Big Distance...?

Post by 204hotrod »

Today I done it!!!! Today I shot a 12" 3 shot group at 1000 yards!!! Sporter weight rifle with a leupold 3-9 scope.
.338 Win Mag; definately has some recoil. Rem 700 with HS precision stock shooting 225 gr Nosler Accubond chronied at 2980 fps.
I did this in a wind coming at me from 10 oclock at 20 gusting to 30.
This is the first time ever in my lifetime that I have ever accomplished this.
Elated--- YES!!!
I think I have found my elk rifle!!
Are you gonna pull them pistols, or just whistle dixie??
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

You are right and I did push a bad button. For some reason I was looking at 1500 yards. The setup Jim described drops 360 inches at 1000 yards which is about 36 minutes. Thanks
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

204hotrod wrote:Today I done it!!!! Today I shot a 12" 3 shot group at 1000 yards!!! Sporter weight rifle with a leupold 3-9 scope.
.338 Win Mag; definately has some recoil. Rem 700 with HS precision stock shooting 225 gr Nosler Accubond chronied at 2980 fps.
Elated--- YES!!!
Having shot and seen many Elk shot, over the years. And with the recent influx of shows, showing Elk being shot at great distances(IF they really are) I sure hope you do not plan to be shooting at Elk, deer, etc at those 1000 plus ranges. It is just not good ethics, in my opinion,for a quick and clean shot. I believe people should get within 400 or less and then take a good clean shot and make a good clean kill. Bill K :)
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Bill K wrote:
204hotrod wrote:Today I done it!!!! Today I shot a 12" 3 shot group at 1000 yards!!! Sporter weight rifle with a leupold 3-9 scope.
Elated--- YES!!!
Having shot and seen many Elk shot, over the years. And with the recent influx of shows, showing Elk being shot at great distances(IF they really are) I sure hope you do not plan to be shooting at Elk, deer, etc at those 1000 plus ranges. It is just not good ethics, in my opinion,for a quick and clean shot. I believe people should get within 400 or less and then take a good clean shot and make a good clean kill. Bill K :)

I think we'd all be better served and entertained if the current host of hunting shows would show valuable stalking techniques in order to get closer to our target rather than displaying their "ability" to take long distance shots.

Hotrod's rifle being that accurate at 1,000 yards can pretty much guarantee a hit in the boiler room at any ethical range if he himself can be consistent. We all have to decide what our own "ethical range" is. Mine is 550 yards. I compete at that distance every month and I am confident of what my 168gr bullet is going to do in a variety of conditions.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Trent. I hear you and know what you mean. I also shoot many a round in High power rifle matches, about fifty and forty years ago. But the average shooter, now days, can not and should not be shooting at those distances, especially at a game animal. The TV shows, for the most part, are a very bad influence on todays shooters. Anyway that is my opinion. I do like to shoot long range, or should say used too, the old eyes are not what they were when I was 20-30 years old. Probably like you, I have many metals/ribbons to remember those days. Shoot straight and your powder dry.. Bill K :D
204hotrod

Post by 204hotrod »

I very well appreciate you guy's advice-- I also preach the same thing.
I have tried the 1000 yard shots with .50BMG; 30-06 and now my .338. And this was the FIRST time of any consistency. I got very lucky with my first shot and saw the bullet strike, and heard it hit my metal target. NOW I was right on. BUT I haven't been able to repeat, YET!
On a side note, about who I am. 3 years ago, on the 2nd day of deer season' I shot a nice mule deer buck at about 450 yards (my maximum hunting range) and thought that I lost him by making a too long of shot. If I couldn't have found that deer, I was done for the season. I would have stopped my season short. I did find him and filled my tag. That was the first deer that I didn't immediatley drop with the first shot in more years than I can remember.
Hunting a game animal and shooting at an old clothes dryer are two very different things. Thanks guys
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

It is interesting that this website has such a following of like minded shooters/hunters. A very positive group of folks (and wise).
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Hotrod, you should be ashamed of yourself!!! Shooting a dryer at those ranges is likely to result in an appliance wandering aimlessly, stuck on "delicates" until it finally expires in a gully by itself. Don't kid yourself man, those Maytags can take quite a hit and keep on running. The worst part of this is that you are shamelessly discussing this on a public forum. Have you not heard of an outfit called PETA? That's right, People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances!!!
Ramos: Good one, bud! Shows you've got an active, creative mind. ('Course we already knew that, as you hang out here!)

Trent: You're right, and I've noticed the same thing. Maybe that's why this site lacks the infighting and quarreling found on so many of the other gunny sites. Seems like-minded folks get along better. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

204hotrod

Post by 204hotrod »

But guys; it was a RUSTY clothes dryer
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

So you are playing the "Mercy-Kill" card?
204hotrod

Post by 204hotrod »

That works for me.
This .338 that I have; I saw it on a shelf in a local gun store and something about it intrigued me. So I held it; looked it over, and thought this is something that somebody has done some work on, but ran out of money or something. It is a Rem 700 stainless barrel and receiver that I guessed to have been manufactured around 1990, but the stock looked like a very early BDL stock. And the trigger was great without any sign of problems; so I swapped a revolver in .357 for it. My old knuckles can't take the beating from the trigger gaurd on a wheel gun any more! So I took the 338 home and put a HS precision stock on it with the full length aluminum bedblock, mounted a new Leupold 3-9; loaded some rounds and the thing just started making one hole groups!!! at the 100 the mark! One day a young guy is out and we set up a couple of targets, I make one hole on my target with three shots, hand him the rifle, and he makes one hole with three shots at the same position on his target. At that point I said " I think that I have found a real shooter"!! I will be taking it on a Colorado Elk hunt this fall. It will be interesting to see how it does if I get a shot, I lucked out and drew an either sex tag, so maybe I won't come home skunked. Don