New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Re: New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Post by hemiallen »

SactoBill wrote:Ok do spoke to Shirley, super nice lady, and will be sending the rifle back. While there I'm having them install a OD Green Phoenix stock with black webbing. Figured if I'm going to send them the rifle might as well have them fit a Phoenix stock to it.

So hopefully I'll have a nice Phoenix stocked M38 that'll actually work in a few weeks.

Bill

I just received an email that UPS delivered my 17 rem cooper to Shirley. It will, as soon as they get their next batch of 20 cal barrels, get a 20VT chamber job done to it.

I am not 100% sure or not if Rick is saving or costing me money with his help guiding me down the right path he has already gone, lol.

What did they quote you for the Phoenix stock?

Thanks

Allen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:I am not 100% sure or not if Rick is saving or costing me money with his help guiding me down the right path he has already gone, lol.
Allen, as your unofficial "Purchasing Mentor" :wink: , just chant after me....."I'm saving money, I'm saving money, this is a good idea......"

But I promise that your first morning out in the rat patch with your sweet new Cooper 20VT will be a dandy one*......that I do promise. Skippy however, is pretty much predicted to NOT approve! :lol:

(*Mark my words.....k?)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

SactoBill
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by SactoBill »

Allen,

They quoted $300 for the regular Phoenix stock (black with red webbing), $125 to fit and bed. I ordered the olive drab green stock with black webbing which costs another $200.

Pretty pricey! Thanks a lot Rick! :(

Bill
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks Bill

I'll keep the ratty wood stock, but if I didn't send them the 17 I haven't used in a years time of owning it, I WAS going to buy a New Phoenix 20vt.

Yes, Rick has, for sure, saved me a bunch in my learning period.

Thanks both

Allen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

SactoBill wrote:Allen,

They quoted $300 for the regular Phoenix stock (black with red webbing), $125 to fit and bed. I ordered the olive drab green stock with black webbing which costs another $200.

Pretty pricey! Thanks a lot Rick! :(

Bill
Wowsers! $625 for a green/black Phoenix stock, fit and bedded to your rifle? That's nearly half way to a whole new rifle.

Absolutely not knocking your decision at all. I'm just a bit surprised at the cost of a replacement stock. You should have a real beauty when all is said and done, Bill.
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Mike,

My name's not Bill, I don't live in Sacramento and I didn't buy a stock for $625.

Ok just in case my wife sees this post. ;)

I'm hoping it's a looker but I'd be happy just to shoot it. The tech called me yesterday and told me he coildn't replicate my extraction problem. He thought I may have used hot handloads but I told him it was all factory HSM rounds. He said the HSM rounds were fine and they have those on hand and will use it to run tests again. So keeping my fingers crossed.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

What stock? ;)

I sure hope Cooper sorts out your extractor issue soon. I am a huge Cooper fan, but this is a frustrating problem. It's good that Cooper is doing a good job of keeping you in the loop with status updates, though.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

Now that's some funny stuff there John Doe
I love the green/black stock have one a weatherby .i shot my Phoenix vt for the first time today using 32 vmax hsm ammo . I had one hard bolt lift and six primers looked to be bulged out of the pocket ?
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

terrace wrote:Now that's some funny stuff there John Doe
I love the green/black stock have one a weatherby .i shot my Phoenix vt for the first time today using 32 vmax hsm ammo . I had one hard bolt lift and six primers looked to be bulged out of the pocket ?
From what the tech said, HSM rounds are suppose to work in Cooper rifles. He said HSM was located close to Cooper and they use HSM rounds for testing purposes. That's not good about what you experienced. Did you buy your HSM rounds recently? I bought mine about a month ago from Sportsmans Guide.
terrace

Post by terrace »

I don't remember where I bought them .but I found them right after you posted about them just wanted to have some when the rifle arrived . About 8 of 50 shot had the raised primer.
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Oh I hope there's nothing wrong with the HSM rounds. I finally have all the supplies I need to reload so as soon as Cooper sends the rifle back, I'll try some handloads.
terrace

Post by terrace »

I need powder and dies I have some RL 7 that was supposed to be in stock ordered 3 weeks ago. my cooper target says H 335 .in the meantime the 204s will get plenty of use.
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

I bought Redding dies from Todd Kindler. And I got lucky and found Remington 7 1/2 primers and H4198 powder. All set to go but no rifle.

If you haven't ordered your dies yet, try Todd. I know he has them in stock.
terrace

Post by terrace »

I am going to give him a call tomorrow and order the dies and his book still need the powder for the VT and 17 h hornet been stocking up on all primers since the last shortage
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

SactoBill wrote:Oh I hope there's nothing wrong with the HSM rounds. I finally have all the supplies I need to reload so as soon as Cooper sends the rifle back, I'll try some handloads.
I've shot hundreds of rounds of HSM ammo in my Cooper .204 with no trouble at all. Gary