22 Hornet to 22 K-Hornet

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

22 Hornet to 22 K-Hornet

Post by ScottB »

I have seen some deals on rifles chambered in 22 Hornet. I know the conversion to K-Hornet is pretty simple, and provides some real benefits. And besides, it is just a cool little cartridge. :D

However, I already have a 221 Fireball. Are these two rounds similar enough that there isn't much benefit to having both? Or would it be a good excuse to get another rifle?
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 22 Hornet to 22 K-Hornet

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Scott, I'd say you're primed for a new rifle and caliber. :D

I shoot varmint calibers (CF's) from the 17 Ackley Hornet, the 22 K-Hornet, 17 Mach IV (17FB), the 20VT and a host of others. To that end, I'd say it's very worth it to own and shoot both a 22 K-Hornet and the 17FB. The 'K' will only use about 12 grains of powder, be very quiet compared to a Fireball, and just a whole bunch of fun to own and shoot. I still shoot mine every varmint season, despite having more zippy and powerful calibers to choose from. It's one of those "fun calibers" if you know what I mean.

When you look at the little critter along side a standard Hornet, it makes perfect sense to "K" (204 Ruger for comparison)....

And don't let anyone tell you this caliber is not accurate. There's a whole bunch of ground squirrels and rock chucks that would testify to that fact if they were still here..... ;)

One neat aspect of this little wildcat, is that all you need to do is run a "K" reamer into a standard Hornet, and wha-la, it becomes a K-Hornet, and you can now fireform brass with field loads on varmints if wanted......I do it all the time. No barrel to buy, no re-bedding or further dinking about and you've just gained in the range of an extra 150-200 fps from the little case. Another nice thing about the K, is that cases now almost never need trimming, unlike a standard Hornet. Most smiths do not charge much for the conversion, and it's pretty much a straightforward operation.

The caliber is great for local rock chucks where noise can be an issue with larger calibers. I use mine for thinning chucks on local horse ranches.....doesn't spook the stock (30gr Varmint Grenade over 'Lil Gun at 3,300 fps at about 180 yards):

I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you "yes, you need a 22 K-Hornet!" :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

If you're going to dot he 22 hornet you should definitely to the K version. Isn't there also a .20 hornet wildcat? that might even be better?
K = ½mv2
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Thanks for the info, guys.

Rick, those Low Walls are great guns. If I could find one at a decent price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Scott: If you have interest in building your K-Hornet on a single shot falling block action, another alternative to the Browning Low Wall is the Ruger No.3 carbine. Mine started life as a 223 with the ugly Ruger No.3 wood, barrel band, etc. It is now a flat shooting, very accurate .17 Ackley Hornet which is light, handy, and capable of 400 yard varmints.

These rifles can be found for much less than the 1885 Low Wall or Ruger No.1, and can be made just as accurate with the addition of a custom barrel, a 22"Pac-Nor stainless Super Match in this case, profiled the same as the original barrel. Add some decent No.1 wood or in my case, a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock set, and you've got a nice little custom rifle.....exactly the same size as a Ruger 10-22.

Just something else to consider. Captqc here just scored a No.3 last week for $499, so they're out there. I'm always on the lookout for them too, as they make great little rifles in any caliber.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Another good alternative. Thanks, Rick.

Justice Hugo Black
Volstandigkeit
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Volstandigkeit »

I've got a G2 Contender with a 12" barrel. Would it be worth while to add a little more chamber volume to it? I'm liking the idea of not needed to trim the brass, which is at least one selling point to me.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Rick (or anyone else that knows), I am going to admit my ignorance here, as I have no experience with falling block rifles, other than admiring their styling. If I am looking for a rifle to re-barrel, do I have to find a rifle with the correct breech face size like I would in a bolt gun?

Justice Hugo Black
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ScottB wrote:Rick (or anyone else that knows), I am going to admit my ignorance here, as I have no experience with falling block rifles, other than admiring their styling. If I am looking for a rifle to re-barrel, do I have to find a rifle with the correct breech face size like I would in a bolt gun?
Scott, in a word, "no". That's the beauty of the single shot falling block....no bolt face to fret about. You can chamber one of these rifles from 22 Hornet all the way to a .505 Gibbs if wanted with only a barrel change. The all have a smooth breach face to allow the falling block to move up and down freely....no cartridge cutout/bolt face whatever.

So in theory, you could find a used falling block rifle in something like .30-06 and rebarrel it to 22 K-Hornet quite easily with only a new barrel required for the caliber changeover. These little rifles are just plain fun to carry afield, and are always quite accurate to boot. And then there's the old adage about having only one shot makes for a better rifleman....... :chin:

Another one of my single shot falling blocks, this one a No.1V chambered in 223 Remington during a hot squirrel shoot:

Most of the factory wood on No.1's is usually quite nice (they shoot, and look good):

If you're interested in a 22 K-Hornet for varmints, going to a single shot falling block rifle will only ADD to the overall enjoyment, I promise. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Scott: If you have interest in building your K-Hornet on a single shot falling block action, another alternative to the Browning Low Wall is the Ruger No.3 carbine. Mine started life as a 223 with the ugly Ruger No.3 wood, barrel band, etc. It is now a flat shooting, very accurate .17 Ackley Hornet which is light, handy, and capable of 400 yard varmints.

These rifles can be found for much less than the 1885 Low Wall or Ruger No.1, and can be made just as accurate with the addition of a custom barrel, a 22"Pac-Nor stainless Super Match in this case, profiled the same as the original barrel. Add some decent No.1 wood or in my case, a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock set, and you've got a nice little custom rifle.....exactly the same size as a Ruger 10-22.

Just something else to consider. Captqc here just scored a No.3 last week for $499, so they're out there. I'm always on the lookout for them too, as they make great little rifles in any caliber.
Actually it was only $449.00! It may become a K Hornet sooner than later. Captqc
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Interesting option for my conversion from the K-hornet contender. Rick, who installed the barrel for you? Mine is a ruger #3 in 45-70, a caliber I'll probably not need in my future, and what trigger(s) do you use ? The K looks like a chrome trigger blade, the 223 looks like a Canjar, which I missed by 30 minutes last week.

I loaded 30 reformed to 17 AH cases tonight, need to get a windless afternoon to sight the gun in and see how she shoots.

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Allen....sharp eye there, buddy. My No.1 does indeed wear a Canjar single set trigger, as does my Sako Vixen in 17 Mach IV. Sure do wish these were still in production.

My 17 Ackley Hornet on the Ruger No.3 wears a Pac-Nor SS Super Match 3-groove 10-twist barrel, turned to duplicate the factory sporter contour by Pac-Nor. It dropped right into the B&C synthetic stock, but got bedded/floated anyway (glassed at the hanger tenon).

I sent the action and barrel to Broad Creek Rifle Works in DE. This fellow specializes in Ruger No.1 and No.3, even produces his own CNC-made triggers which you also spotted. He fit and chambered the barrel with a tight neck, bedded the rig and supplied a cutaway chamber guage when he returned the rifle. Very good work and the chamber guage allows me to actually see where the bullet ogive meets the rifling in order to set precise seating depth. I of course also use a Stoney Point seating guage also for determining seating depth.

If you decide to use the No.3 action with upgraded wood or synthetic intended for a No.1, be aware that you'll have to bend/reconfigure the finger lever, as it will interfere with the pistol grip. These rifles originally came with the silly carbine straight grip stock for some marketing reason known only to Ruger.

Not a great shot, but you can see the modified finger lever here. Just a flick of the finger opens her up easily.

I don't know what you like to shoot/hunt, but I'm betting you'll get much more use out of your No.3 rechambered to a varmint cartridge than what it's chambered for now. Skippy will fear another 22 K-Hornet. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks again Rick.

Now that I see it written, I apologize, you already gave me that Gunsmiths name a moon or 2 ago. I am much closer to that gun being modified, am writing all the info down and now filing it in my new cabinet.

I suspect is is a hummer like all your other rigs? I may go 22k or 17AH, I have both in contender bullberry's and need to sort which to keep before designating the caliber on this one. And I don't have a pile of the now unavailable Nosler Hornet bullets you love, so it would have to run 40 NBT's...

Thanks Rick

Allen

BTW, Following your posts/ pictures has cost me a wheelbarrow of ...

fun

Can't wait till spring and Alturas