Ideas for Ruger M77 Mark II .243?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Ideas for Ruger M77 Mark II .243?

Post by inKYfromSD »

I know this is already a nice little coyote gun, but it never gets shot. It just stands in the back of the safe in the dark. I'd like to rebarrel it into a .20 cal, preferably .20 VarTarg. I'd like to keep the same basic dimensions, 16" or 18" barrel. Is this practical? I know the bolt faces are different. Am I better or trying to trade it or sell it?

Thanks,
Brian
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ideas for Ruger M77 Mark II .243?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brian: The bolt face is different for the 243 vs. the 20VT.

The 243 uses the 308-size bolt face (.473"), while the 20VT utilizes the same bolt face as the 204/223 (.375").....big difference. If you're wanting a 20VT, best to find a donor rifle with the same bolt face. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

Thanks Rick. I found another article last night about using an M77 action as a project build and there wasn't a lot of support for it. Local gun shop is having their annual pig roast sale soon, I'll look for a donor project then. Maybe I'll see if this little rifle will shoot 62 gr varmint grenades.

Thanks again for the advice!

Brian
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brian, there's a few actions that would be suitable for your build. Some to consider in short action configuration are:
* Sako L461, M75, M85 (& some others)
* CZ 527
* Rem M700
* Brno
* Cooper (of course!)
* Kimber

Or you could go single shot/falling block with:
Ruger No.1 & No.3
Browning 1886 High Wall
Browning 1885 Low Wall

Or break-open action:
Contender

There's others I'm not including, but you get the general idea. I would not plan any custom build on a Ruger 77 either....own some, but IMHO, just not an action known for stellar accuracy or a basis for a custom rifle in the gun world. I didn't mention Savage either.....just not one I'd consider, but that's just me.

Yesterday I picked up a CZ 527 American in 221FB that has a drop-dead gorgous piece of walnut from a local pawn shop. Now I'm fighting myself trying to figure out weather to re-barrel it to a 20VT walkabout rifle, or as it's almost brand new, shoot the 221FB barrel for a couple of years. It's nice to have all three "Fireball" calibers right now (17 Mach IV, 20VT, 221FB)....... :chin:

But the absolute best donor rifle for a 20VT, would be one originally chambered in either 17FB or 221FB if you can find one. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

[quote="Yesterday I picked up a CZ 527 American in 221FB that has a drop-dead gorgous piece of walnut from a local pawn shop...[/quote]

Nice find! Is this a daily ritual? :) There are a few pawn shops close by but they seem to have nothing but .22 LR semis, AR's that look shot-to-death, and the usual 30-06, 7MM, 300 Win. Something else to do with one arm in a sling.

BTW, I found an M21 but it's not an MTV... Getting closer.

Brian
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

inKYfromSD wrote:Nice find! Is this a daily ritual? :) BTW, I found an M21 but it's not an MTV... Getting closer. Brian
Well, not a daily ritual, but at least semi-weekly. :wink: You just never know what will turn up....I've found nice Kimber pistols, yesterday included (Kimber Ultra Carry), plus a Kimber of Oregon M52 22LR sporter in virginal condition not to mention the sweet little CZ 527 I snagged with the killer wood. The good stuff never lasts long, precisely why I troll through on a regular basis.

If you've found a Cooper M21 in 20VT, you may want to give it a hard look. I'm not sure how many MTV's have been made in that caliber..... there's a far better chance of locating one in the VR (standard varmint) configuration than one in MTV. But I know the MTV has the upgraded AA+ wood and the Buick vents, so that may be the driving factor?

The wood on my M38 VR 20VT is their "standard wood" grade......nuthin' to sneeze at, eh?

Let us know how the quest goes.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Volstandigkeit
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Volstandigkeit »

Brian I sent you a pm about your Ruger.
Volstandigkeit
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Volstandigkeit »

I just realized I wasn't on the Nebraska Hunting board. Doubt it would work. My bad.