Youth 6mm Remington Advice

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Youth 6mm Remington Advice

Post by RAMOS »

This is in the research phase so I will just throw out my current thoughts here. Feel free to jump in with your thoughts/suggestions. I want to limit this, at this time, to the 6mm Remington cartridge. The reason being that I like the recoil numbers in comparison to the 243 Winchester. The shooter is currently 9 1/2 years old, 68 lbs and has spent this past summer shooting 20VT, 223 and 20 gauge. He shoots very well and does NOT have even a hint of a flinch. I want to keep it that way! Here is the kicker: He is LEFT handed. I want to buy a good, older gun that can be shortened down to about 12 1/2" of pull, or build a rifle to meet this criteria. I need to pull this off in the next year and spend no more than $1,000 not counting the glass. One avenue I am curious about is a 700BDL (LH) in 270 Win that I bought in 1981. I believe that the Long Action would work okay for the 6mm Rem. Yay or nay? Anyway, help me out here guys.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Re: Youth 6mm Remington Advice

Post by Pmoper »

Have you looked at the new Savage Axis...? They are a good looking rifle in a very affordable range....and as we already know the Savage family is rugged and built to take it (No I am in no way shape or means affiliated with Savage)...just a thought.....
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Just looked it up....you can get a Savage in 22-250 NEW for $285....good shot placement/good bullet.... good for about any deer
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

I know the Savage rifles shoot well. Sticking with the 6mm Rem though. :)
Volstandigkeit
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Volstandigkeit »

What about a model 7 lefty?
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Well, I think i am going to work with what I have. That 270 has been a very good rifle and has come very close to being rebarreled a few times in the past. Not that it does not shoot, it just seems like it is time to reconfigure it to get more use out of it.
Chief101
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12V, Ruger #1V

Post by Chief101 »

Swapping to the 6mm Rem should be a simple barrel change. There shouldn't be any other modification needed, and the 6mm Rem is a great choice.
Chief
No man's life, liberty, or

property is safe while the

legislature is in session.

-- Mark Twain (1866)
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Yep I agree with Chief 101. A barrel change is all that is need to make her a 6mm Remington. Got both and just checked the brass.
You'll enjoy the 6mm rem, real sweet!!
Later

Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

I did this many years ago and it worked out well. The 6mm was for my wife but my daughter liked it really well. The length of pull was pretty short after I set it up for her but I could still shoot it with no dificulty. The caliber is a really good choice. My only knock on it is it has a pretty sharp shoulder and is sometimes hard to chamber. Get one in hand and try it. It was never a problem for experianced shooters but still continues to be an issue with my grandchildren when they start shooting it. I loaded a couple of dummy cartridges and let them practice and they got past it pretty quick.

Best of luck
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

You've picked a very good and under rated cartridge. The 6 m/m Rem. is one of my favorites. I think you will do well rebarreling the gun you have. In my opinion the 6 m/m works better in a long action.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

The project is plodding along. Original wood stock has been cut down. Next will be pillar bedding, recoil pad and refinish with oil and turpentine.