Contender/Encore?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Contender/Encore?

Post by ScottB »

I have been intrigued for some time by these guns, and I'm trying to decide if I should try one out.

My interest is only in the carbine/rifle models at this time. And my main focus is varmint hunting and plinking. There are tons of factory and wildcat chambered barrels available, and the thought of getting into a new caliber for the $250-450 cost of a barrel, rather than the cost of a complete bolt gun, is rather appealing.

Are any of you guys into these, and could offer me some advice?

Thanks!
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Contender/Encore?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sounds like you need to visit Varmint Al and his eclectic website. Tons of info, including Contender/varmint shooting, engineering and beyond. It would take a few days to navigate the entire site, but I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

I'm into single shot falling block and bolt guns, not so much break-open rifles, but check out Al's site:

http://www.varmintal.com/avarm.htm
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by ScottB »

Thanks, Rick.

I am just toying with the idea right now. One of the problems I foresee is dealing with a break open rifle, off a bench, with high volume shooting for prairie dogs or sage rats. Seems like more trouble than it would be worth.

Now, as a light, handy walking varminter, it may make a lot more sense.
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

I agree with your thoughts.

I have only gone to the field for 3 days, probably 800+ rounds fired, but the bolt guns were used 95% of my shooting even though my contender was the least recoiling guns in 22k hornet. I have since gotten a 17 AH in both 12" and 22", the 17 has a lot less recoil, but still off my bench loading and reloading is a much slower deal than a bolt gun, you have to reset bags every time ( probably easier if one used a benchrest front rest with the stop rod) but for me it is less fun than a bolt or maybe a ruger #1 would/ will be.

If you can try someone's gun, it may save you following my path, but I did start this journey shooting pistol silhouette, which they are great for .

Allen
TC Encore204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

Contender/Encore?

Post by TC Encore204 »

I shoot my 204 in an encore, and my dad his 17HH and 22-250 in an encore also. My 204 shoots half inch, and while breaking it open after every shot isn't ideal it works pretty well with a front rest rear bag when target shooting or shooting varmints. ImageImage