6mm PPC - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

6mm PPC - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Post by ScottB »

I have a line on a Savage in 6mm PPC that the owner claims shoots bugholes. My current varmint/small bore lineup consists of rifles in .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, and .223 Rem. I'm thinking the 6mm PPC would be good for longer range varminting and paper punching. Does anyone have experience with this round and can offer some insight? Would this be a good direction to go, or should I look at something else?
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
TRG300WM
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom

Re: 6mm PPC - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Post by TRG300WM »

As far as accuracy go’s the 6PPC is one of the most accurate cartridges available in the world, the 6mm PPC is used widely in the bencherst comp, out to 300 yards, and the claims it shoots bugholes would not surprise me at all.
For varmint weight bullet in the 55-58 gr class with max loads, you could expect 3500 fps with powders like AA2200 and Benchmark. With a 70gr bullet using one of these powders H335, H322, 8208 XBR you could expect around 3100 fps with max loads. This cartridge would make a superb varmint round out to 400 yds.
Last edited by TRG300WM on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by ScottB »

Thanks, TRG. That's the kind of information I am looking for.

Are there any particular difficulties with loading for it, or is it straightforward?
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
TRG300WM
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom

Post by TRG300WM »

The 6mm PPC is like any other cartridge and can be easily made from Lapua 220 Russian brass (recommended). Norma and SAKO make factory-formed 6PPC brass and this may be a better option for you as it saves fire forming. even fire forming loads have amazing accuracy. A good supply for brass is Bruno Shooters Supply or Hoehn sales inc. 6 PPC, totally prepared $195 / 100.

The 6mm PPC will pretty much shoot any 6mm bullet you feed it, very accurately as long as you have the correct twist rate for the bullet being used.
Redding makes a nice 6MM PPC bushing neck size die set. or you could go with forester, RCBS or Lee.
Wilson also make 6PPC dies if you want to go that way. i forgot to mention that brass will last almost forever, but is a little on the expensive side.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Anyone know if it cycles OK? A moot point if single shooting but if it's a repeater "and" you wanted quick follow up shot...