20 VarTarg Questions?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

20 VarTarg Questions?

Post by GTOHunter »

After reading about Everyone talking about the .20 VarTarg I was wanting to know a few things about it?

Is this a Caliber You guys have made on Your own?

Does other Rifle Makers have this Caliber?

What different Manufacturers have it in stock?

Is the .20 VarTarg bullets available in a Factory load?

What other Rifle/Caliber is it similar or equal to in performance?

I'm thinking about buying another Predator/Varmint Rifle and would like some suggestions on which one to get next.I have the CZ .204 "Varmint" Rifle,a Savage .223 and a .243 Browning so I'm good on the larger Calibers also...really want something in a smaller caliber below the .223.

Also...how well would the following Calibers be for Coyote Hunting?

.22 Hornet
.218 Bee
.220 Swift
.221 Fireball
32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Re: 20 VarTarg Questions?

Post by 32dgrz »

GTOHunter wrote:After reading about Everyone talking about the .20 VarTarg I was wanting to know a few things about it?

Is this a Caliber You guys have made on Your own?

Check out The Wood Chuck Den. Todd Kindler gets the nod for the 20VT

Does other Rifle Makers have this Caliber?
Mine is a Cooper

What different Manufacturers have it in stock?

Check Gun Broker for in stock rifles

Is the .20 VarTarg bullets available in a Factory load?

HSM has 20 VT. Midway has stock

What other Rifle/Caliber is it similar or equal to in performance?

I'm thinking about buying another Predator/Varmint Rifle and would like some suggestions on which one to get next.I have the CZ .204 "Varmint" Rifle,a Savage .223 and a .243 Browning so I'm good on the larger Calibers also...really want something in a smaller caliber below the .223.

Also...how well would the following Calibers be for Coyote Hunting?

.22 Hornet
.218 Bee
.220 Swift
.221 Fireball
Hope this helps
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

The VT is basically a .204 "Short". It is more efficient, lighter recoil, high speed and less heat in your barrel. I think its a good coyote or smaller round. Its biggest advantages shine when shooting prairie dogs or ground squirrels where you a high-volume shooting all day. Cooper is the only one I know making a factory gun and they are worth the price. You would spend about the same putting one together. Its my first wildcat cartridge and is really easy to hand load. Just buy a cheap Lee turret press, Hornady dies, 221 brass and you are good to go.
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

GTO: Like Bodei sez, think of the 20VT as a 204 Short. Or consider you'll get 85% of 204 speed and performance, with about 30% LESS powder, barrel heat, fouling, blast, recoil, yadda yadda. It's like shooting a pellet gun that has 500 yard reach. :eek: Remember that the 20VT is the 221FB necked down to .20 caliber, shoulder angle blown out to 30* with slightly less body taper.

I would not recommend this caliber for coyotes, as there are much better offerings. The 204 is not an ideal coyote caliber either, but both are very well suited to the smaller varmints....chucks, PD's, badgers, ground squirrels, crows, etc.

This gives an idea of case volume compared to the 204 case:

Basically, this case gives me right at 3,725 fps from 18.5grs of RL-7, and shoots like this:

The 20VT shares the same basic case shape as the PPC line of cartridges, short, fat powder column, hence it's wicked accuracy potential in a good rifle with a nice short action. This caliber is at it's best in a short action rifle like a Sako Vixen, CZ 527, Browning Micro, Cooper, etc., to realize the full potential of the little zipper, but any bolt or falling block (or Contender) is a good home for it.

Your list of potential coyote calibers shows me only one really suited for shooting coyotes...the Swift. The others will certainly kill a coyote, they're just not ideally suited for that kind of critter. I gave up on 223's and the like for coyotes, now only using my 243W.....it anchors them every time with a 70gr NBT at 3,500 fps. Don't get me wrong....I love my 204's, just not for coyotes any more. My .20's still are my favorite small varmint calibers.

I'd also recommend getting a copy of TK's book "The Terrific Twenties", as it's got lots of load data and history of this and other sub-calibers he's designed over the years. If you're really interested in the 20VT, plan on case forming and possible neck turning. If you're not into dinking about with wildcats, best to leave it alone and shoot factory calibers. BUT if you do go that route, you'll soon have a new favorite varmint rifle in the safe in a caliber none of your friends have (but they'll all want one).....that I promise. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Finally got on the bandwagon after Rick, and several others finally convinced me (I'm hard headed). Couldn't be happier with my Cooper 20 VT. It and my other Coopers performed well in the pd fields of SD this year. Here is photo of mine, flanked by my other .204's.
ImageImage
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks for all the great info Guys...!

Rick...Your saying that You wouldn't reccomend the .20 VarTarg for Coyotes?

Ive been using the .204 CZ in 32 grain Winchester bullets and now he 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings....15 Dead Coyotes later I cant brag enough on the knock-down power and speed of that Caliber Rifle,I just wanted another Caliber for Coyotes,Bobcats and occasional Fox if they happen to show up?Just wish a more affordable Co made that .20 VarTag Rifle?

What I don't understand is several Predator Hunters are bragging on the new .17 Hornet and Your talking an even lighter bullet (20 grains right) and they're putting down Coyotes with that light of a Bullet? :chin: :duh:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

GTO: I'm not saying it won't kill a coyote, heck, I've killed them with my 17 Ackley Hornet and a 20gr V-Max, but what I AM saying is that there's better coyote calibers for a dedicated wiley rifle.

BUT, a good 20VT would indeed make a good all-round varmint rifle as long as you kept to the range/energy limitations of a caliber based on a small case such as the 221 Rem.

In the end, it's all based on energy/bullet placement and range limitations of both the shooter and the cartridge.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Thanks Rick......what ever I decide on its going to be more than likely a light carry Rifle and for some type of Coyote,Bobcat,Fox Hunting situation.We don't have enough long range fields for me to worry about 300-400-500 yard shots any ways with our Rolling Hills,Hollers and Woods and a simple 3X9X40mm up to maybe a 50mm scope I'm not going to break any long range records and most of the time the Game's going to be along the lines of Smaller targets! I was thinking about the New .17 Hornet but was told its only in the CZ model 527 "Varmint" and I'm not going with another longer/heavier Rifle? :chin: :wink:

I was drooling over that Cooper .20 VarTarg....some day I'll get a little Richer and drop some serious coin on such a wonderful Rifle? :D :cry:
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

I would get a .204 since you will have more options in your rifle style/make/model/barrel. 40 grainers for the Yotes and 32 for all the others. What about an AR? Great Coyote rifle. Better get one soon...
K = ½mv2
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Bodei....I have a CZ 527 "Varmint" with the longer/heavier barrel in the .204 already,I was wanting something lighter and shorter in a different Caliber to take out Coyote,Bobcat and Fox Hunting! :chin:

I looked a few different Calibers...was even going to order a Savage .17 Hornet and my Dealer I get most of my Guns from said they were all on back order and He couldn't get one right now....couldn't even order the 17 Hornet from CZ for some reason?Now I looked at the CZ Site and they show a .17 Remington in the
model 527 "Varmint" line which is what I have ("Varmint" .204).Now is this suppose to be the .17 Hornet in the CZ line up? :duh:

I also thought of going with a .22 WMR in the Browning T-Bolt wood stock or even staying with another .223 in a Browning BLR Lever-Action Rifle which was one Sweet looking Rifle that would be a lot of fun to have and shoot too! :idea: :chin:
Bodei

Post by Bodei »

You can get a Savage easily now. I have seen them on store shelves and online. CZ is coming out this month, if you are a CZ fan, I would wait. 17 hornet sounds like what you're looking for. For coyotes, I would prefer a .22 caliber. There maybe a .221 Fireball would be a nice choice.
K = ½mv2
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

GTOHunter wrote:Bodei....I have a CZ 527 "Varmint" with the longer/heavier barrel in the .204 already,I was wanting something lighter and shorter in a different Caliber to take out Coyote,Bobcat and Fox Hunting! :chin:
For your intended use, I have to agree with Rick and suggest that you move up in cartridge selections instead of down from the .204. I suspect you'll end up shooting a lot more coyotes than fox and bobcat, so a little extra horsepower might come in handy. You didn't mention which Browning rifle you have in .243, but that would seem to be a very good cartridge to use. If you prefer to go with something a bit less common, a .260 would be outstanding coyote medicine and double as a fine whitetail rifle. Both the .243 and .260 would do mean things to fox and bobcats, so that might be an issue if you use the hides. On the lighter side, a .22-250 or .220 Swift would work well, but I'm not sure how many companies offer rifles chambered in Swift today.
M1 Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator,LRPV and Vartarg

Post by M1 Mike »

For game fox size and smaller the 20 Vartarg is a great little round, and accurate to boot! I built one on a factory action with a 20 inch stainless heavy barrel. Nice little carry rifle and somewhat economical to shoot.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Mike I have a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in the .243,it's shooting 100 grain Hornady Custom bullets and used mainly as a Deer Rifle until I got the CZ .204 which works fine it's just that I got a Money Gift Certificate for a decent amount so I'm going to add a few dollars and get me a new Toy/Rifle!

M1 Mike....I have a .243,.223,and the .204 so I'm on a downward slide in Calibers,plus I have plenty of larger Deer Calibers so it's time for something different and interesting! :D ;)

The .17 Hornet seems interesting but I checked out the Hornady Bullets at the Dealer while waiting for info about the Savage and those sure are some awful small bullets!Thinking the wind would play havoc with them and any small twigs or grass may get in its way? :duh: :chin:
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

If small and different trip your trigger, you might check out the new .17 Winchester Super Magnum. In no way would I suggest it as a coyote round, but aside from that you may want to look it over. I believe Savage will be the first company to produce a rifle in the .17 WSM and I'm not sure when they'll hit shelves. Just something to toss out there for your consideration.