New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Re: New 20 VT rifle in the way!

Post by terrace »

I sold my hmr to get a 17 hornet while searching I found a 17 rem too cheap to pass up. will pick up the hornet in 8 days. also cabelas has hh ammo in stock
SactoBill
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by SactoBill »

I don't know why I'm asking about 17's when I just picked up a CZ 527 Varmint in 204. :shock:

If you guys read about a gun nut killed by his wife in Sacramento, you can say "I know that guy!". ;)
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Ok so Cooper replaced the extractor and sent it back. I finally was able to take the rifle out to shoot today. After 10 or so rounds, it failed to extract AGAIN!!

I looked at the extractor and it looks ok. I've fired less than 20 rounds in this rifle and it's getting to be a little frustrating.

I've put in a call to Cooper. They'll probably ask for the whole rifle back. Has anyone else had this problem with a 38 and/or 20 VarTarg?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SactoBill wrote:Has anyone else had this problem with a 38 and/or 20 VarTarg?
Nope, not here with just over 2,000 rnds through my M38 20VT. Hope yours gets sorted out by rat season quickly approaching. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

csand
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Firearms

Post by csand »

My M38 20VT has given me no problems and I'm approaching 600 rounds. I hope they get this fixed for you!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

That's really frustrating, have you looked in the chamber? No issues chambering rounds right? Maybe there's a scratch or somethin' in there? Hope you get it sorted out.
K = ½mv2
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Ok do spoke to Shirley, super nice lady, and will be sending the rifle back. While there I'm having them install a OD Green Phoenix stock with black webbing. Figured if I'm going to send them the rifle might as well have them fit a Phoenix stock to it.

So hopefully I'll have a nice Phoenix stocked M38 that'll actually work in a few weeks.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Good idea, trick it out!
K = ½mv2
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Bet you will be good to go shortly. Of course, we will be waiting to see the new stock on here!
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Quick question on scope mounts. I have the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 40mm scope wit standard 30mm Leupold rings on the rifle right now. When I mount the scope at 20x, I have to sit back and pull away from the scope. I have the scope mounted as far forward as possible but it doesn't fell comfortable. The is at least a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the scope and the barrel. Would low Leupold rings help? Or does someone make a offset ring that I can use for the front since that is where the turrets are touching the ring?

Thanks!

Bill
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill, you don't mention what height the rings are now, but with 1/4" under the objective bell, Low rings will most likely work, as I've used Low Leupold rings on all my Coopers, all have 30mm Lupy VX3 6.5-20X LR scopes with 40mm objectives mounted, and you can just slide a business card under the objective bell/barrel.

Even at 20X using these rings, I have no worries whatever in the field shooting from my bench, bipod/sticks or prone....full sight picture, great cheek weld on the stock. :D

Do know though, that if you want scope caps, only the Leupld Alumina's will work, as there's no room for the Butler Creek rubber units to fit. The Leupold units are a tad pricey, but will last forever, unlike the BC's, and completely seal against rain, dust and field crap. Just sumthin' else to consider.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Rick,

I have the mediums. I grabbed the wrong ones thinking they were low. The way my scope sits right now is that it is pushed as far forward as possible. I'm not getting a good cheek weld since I have to lift my head up and back a little.

I'll order the low rings and see how that works. Funny how the stocks are so different. On my #1, I have to order a rear offset ring to bring the scope further back.
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

Rick what flip ups are on your scopes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ozfox wrote:Rick what flip ups are on your scopes
As mentoned in my post, they're Leupold Alumina's; all machined aluminum, o-ring sealed, rare-earth magnets, instant open and lay flat against the scope so as not to obstruct the target area.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Bill, you don't mention what height the rings are now, but with 1/4" under the objective bell, Low rings will most likely work, as I've used Low Leupold rings on all my Coopers, all have 30mm Lupy VX3 6.5-20X LR scopes with 40mm objectives mounted, and you can just slide a business card under the objective bell/barrel.

Even at 20X using these rings, I have no worries whatever in the field shooting from my bench, bipod/sticks or prone....full sight picture, great cheek weld on the stock. :D

Do know though, that if you want scope caps, only the Leupld Alumina's will work, as there's no room for the Butler Creek rubber units to fit. The Leupold units are a tad pricey, but will last forever, unlike the BC's, and completely seal against rain, dust and field crap. Just sumthin' else to consider.
That is a beatiful collection of Coopers RIO.
I love the MTV style.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger