204 Ruger Accuracy Concerns / Problems

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Big-D
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77 MkII, CZ 527 Varmint, Tikka T3 SS lite, RAP

204 Ruger Accuracy Concerns / Problems

Post by Big-D »

Hi All!

I'm a newbie to this forum (but not to hunting and shooting). Recently, I purchased one of the new Ruger American Predator rifles chambered in 204 Ruger (see pic). This gun has a hammer-forged and tapered varmint barrel which is 22" long and has 1:12 RH twist. It utilizes the same "Power Bedding" system that Ruger uses in their standard American Rifle to free-float the barrel. I mounted a Simmons 44Mag 6-24X44 scope on my gun.

About a week ago, I shot it for the first time to sight in the scope. After consuming 1 box (20 rounds) of 40 grain Hornady V-max, I called it quits. I'd estimate my last 4-5 shots to have 1.5-2.0 MOA at 100 yds. Out of 20 shots, I had maybe 3-4 flyers that were completely dumbfounding. Keep in mind that I had a solid shooting table and gun rest. Shooting conditions were excellent (i.e. no wind). I am very confident about the rail and scope mount being secure. Likewise, I am confident about my shooting technique and abilities.

Perhaps my expectations regarding accuracy are unrealistic. I was hoping for sub MOA but at least 1 MOA at 100 yds. What is a reasonable expectation in terms of accuracy for this gun?

After a fair amount of research and reading, I saw where it was suggested that the 1:12 twist was borderline for 40 grain bullets. Is there any truth to this notion and could this explain both the flyers and unimpressive accuracy?

Also, I have read where a number of Ruger American Rifle owners have experienced fit and/or flexing problems associated with the synthetic stock. The problems are associated with the forestock area. Some of these folks have claimed that the forward rest point made a difference in their accuracy/consistency. Resting the gun near the end of the forestock created problems. Moving the rest point closer towards the magazine produced better results. I inspected my gun today and noticed there was little if any clearance between the barrel and an area on one side of the forestock. I tested clearance with a sheet of paper and confirmed there was some interference at the area in question. Could this explain the flyers and relatively poor accuracy?

I plan to test a lighter bullet (32 grain Hornady V-max) but am not optimistic at this point. Nevertheless, I will wait and see how the lighter bullets compare before I pass final judgement.

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations?

Thanks and I look forward to reading your replies.

Big-D
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Re: 204 Ruger Accuracy Concerns / Problems

Post by VAshooter »

Snt you a PM Big D
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Big-D wrote: I mounted a Simmons 44Mag 6-24X44 scope on my gun.
I am very confident about the rail and scope mount being secure.Big-D
You don't seem to share the same confidence in the scope as you do in the mounts. I wouldn't either......
It cracks me up that folks buy economy rifles and scopes and expect them to perform as benchrest quality rifles. Have you tried it with a known/proven scope? Try loading the 32's or 39 BK's to different seating depths. It should break M.O.A with ammo it likes.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+One on the scope issue. Simmons is at the bottom of the pile in regard to proven track record/reliability/quality. I have decades of anecdotal evidence with that bird. (How about four separate elk hunts ruined by guys trying to save a few bucks using Simmons scopes? Yup, no $hit. :eek: )

FWIW, with your quoted experience, I'd expect that you'll work with some sandpaper on the forearm area to relieve any contact with the barrel prior to going further. That would be the second thing I'd take care of, after tossing that scope and replacing it with a quality-built unit of proven reliability. Then I'd try some 32gr handloads, with different seating depths and powder weights. If you don't handload, then try some 32gr factory loads. The Sierra 39gr BK is the darling of heavy bullet 204R shooters, including me. You will want to try that one.

With a mass-produced factory barrel and factory loads, don't get your hopes up too high. But good handloads using 32gr or the 39gr SBK should brighten your day.

Oh, and welcome to the 204um! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Factory Hornady 40g-grain ammo will put 5 shots into .75"-.9" for me, so I wouldn't completely blame the ammo right away.

I started out with a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope on my .204, just to hold me over. The scope was kicking around, I said "Eh, why not." I could occasionally get down to 3/4" groups with it, but the eye fatigue from it was horrible - the longer I shot, the worse it got. I eventually got a better scope. Now, not only can I turn out smaller groups, I can do them just as well after four hours of shooting as when I started. Also, my technique improved as well, letting me get smaller and smaller groups.

Also, yes, the 40-grain vmax is on the edge for a 1:12 twist. My 1:12 shoots them well, not all do. Try the 32-grain V-max ammo. If you reload, try Sierra Blitzkings. The 39-grain SBKs don't take as fast of a twist as the 40-grain V-Max.
Big-D
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77 MkII, CZ 527 Varmint, Tikka T3 SS lite, RAP

Post by Big-D »

***UPDATE***

FYI, there was no evidence of poor machining around the crown. 32 grain Hornady V-max ammo didn't shoot any better. After a 5-shot sequence, the grouping was maybe 6-7" high and to the left. I saw the same 1.5-2" MOA accuracy. After writing a note to the CEO of Ruger, I was contacted the very next day and asked to send the gun back to the factory. I did at their expense and after their engineer worked with the gun for about a week, he was dissatisfied with it as well so they shipped me a new gun. I have yet to shoot it but upon inspection, the barrel fit around the stock looks to be perfectly symmetrical (i.e. equal spacing between the barrel and forestock on either side). I'm keeping my fingers crossed with regards to this second RAP firearm. In any event, I am encouraged and impressed with how Ruger handled the situation.

As luck would have it, I stumbled across a like new model 77 mark II target/varmint that someone had traded in for another rifle. The price was just too good to pass up so I took it home with me and I'm glad I did. It's a definitely a shooter with sub MOA accuracy using factory ammo at 100 yds. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with two great shooting guns! And by the way, I used the same cheap Simmons scope to evaluate the M77 MKII!

Lastly, I wanted to thank everyone for their constructive comments and advice.

Huntsman22 and Rick in Oregon - I have a used Simmons 44Mag 6-24x44 mildot for sale if you're interested. :wink:
I'm here to kick-butt and drink whiskey. And pilgrim, I'm all out of whiskey!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Good to hear.
K = ½mv2
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Do the old dollar bill test to check the barrel & stock clearence. If it fails, try opening it up as Rick suggested. I'm not familiar with that specific rifle but if it isn't bedded, try that because it's been known to m ake a difference.

As far as the scope; we'll enough said.

HTH.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Big-D wrote:Huntsman22 and Rick in Oregon - I have a used Simmons 44Mag 6-24x44 mildot for sale if you're interested. :wink:
:lol:

Thanks, but I'll pass, but I'm glad you're getting it sorted out, and that MK-II Varmint should put a smile on your face too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

I own a ruger American in .243 cal.--the first box of factory ammo after sighting in I put 4 rounds at 100 yd in a group that measured .4l4--for me that was pretty good. the second box of shells gave me a group that measured just over .310 at 100 yards. I am not too crazy about their trigger but for $300 I am not complaining. anyone can get a rifle with a problem right out of the box but I know I got a good one--I have several rugers and am happy with them all.
Slayer1962
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Venture

Post by Slayer1962 »

Interesting thread. I recently purchased a TC venture in .204 and was curious about my groups. I tried 40 grain ammo and got 1.5' to 1.81 inch groups (3 three shot groups) I am an eastern coyote hunter so that is fine with me. Long shots here would be 200 yards most being 50 yards. I bought 2 boxes of 32 grain and will try them as well. As a shooter I am not the best but have a modified AR15 that will keep under an inch on any day but a 20 plus mile an hour wind lol. I have only shot 50 rounds thru the gun and cleaned after my day at the range. Will try the next ammo and see. I was hoping for a little closer to an inc
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

40gr factory ammo doesn't do all that well in the .204. Sorry. It's just the way it is. If you can find some 93gr Sierra rds those should shoot much better for you. The 32's should shoot very well for you & will pack some punch out to 200yds. After that,, IMO,, they lose steam. My experiences over 100yds with the 32's are on groundhogs & not coyotes.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen