My new toy!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Great White North
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3

My new toy!

Post by Great White North »

My new custom built rifle in 6.5mm Creedmoor.

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: My new toy!

Post by huntsman22 »

details, man.......
Great White North

Its a 26" barrel from a barrel maker in Saskatchewan. 1-8 Twist. The Remington 700 action was totally worked over. The barrel is glass bedded in the GRS stock. I love the stock! Its got a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50. I'm still waiting for my die's for it. I sighted it in on factory ammo. My final three test shots made a nice little one hole group. I'm pretty happy with that from factory ammo. The Rile was put together by my awesome gunsmith in Brandon Manitoba.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Looks like a serious tack driver with a lot of fun times ahead. But of all the 6.5 calibers, why a 6.5 Creedmoor; just curious.
Great White North

Jim White wrote:Looks like a serious tack driver with a lot of fun times ahead. But of all the 6.5 calibers, why a 6.5 Creedmoor; just curious.
Its a good question. Mostly because I have played around with one before and really liked it. The Norma 6.5 looks like it would be a little harder on barrels. I have no real world experience with it being hard on barrels, but that seems to be the consensus. Its super rare in my parts and I would have a hard time finding loaded ammo and brass. Also I wanted a short action. The Lapua looks interesting but I never really considered it. I never really liked my friends 260. Maybe not the best reason for not choosing it, but the numbers on the two rounds are pretty close. Bottom line I just liked the cartridge after shooting it. I know its a relatively new cartridge, but I really liked the idea of having a 6.5mm round and it fit the bill. I know that there is an attitude out there of it does nothing better than my good old -fill in your preferred cartridge type here-, but by that attitude everyone would still be shooting 30-06's. Not that there is anything wrong with a 30-06 I have a few of those as well!

Curtis
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

The reason I asked, I'd like to do a 6.5 build myself. I've looked mainly at the 260 [or 260 AI] as opposed to the Lapua and Creedmoor. Mine would be used primarily for larger varmints and small to midsize game. The only concerns I have with the Creedmoor is the brass comes from Hornady. And while they make good products, their brass doesn't get high marks, however the Creedmoor could be different.

I know lapua makes brass for the 6.5 Lapua and the 260 Remington. Otherwise, ballistically, it seems to be a wash.

Jim
Great White North

Most of what I have read has come off the internet so you have to take it with a grain of salt. On of the main reviews I read (I can't remember which magazine it was for) stated that he put the Creedmoor ahead simply based of the fact that the Hornady brass was better than the brass that was available for the 260. That all changed when Lapua started making brass for the 260.

I haven't loaded anything yet with the Hornady Creedmoor brass yet, but looking at it, it appears to be good. They look like there were annealed. I might the only person out there that actually doesn't mind reloading Hornady brass for the 204. The primer pockets are tight but other than that I don't mind them.

All that said it appears that Nosler makes brass for the Creedmore. http://www.nosler.com/65-creedmoor/ So thats a good sign.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Mr. North, have you wrung it out yet?
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor has been gaining popularity with competition shooters. The neck is a bit longer.
Check out this site, look around, it covers scopes, gunsmiths, rests, etc.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/1 ... -pros-use/
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Great White North

huntsman22 wrote:Mr. North, have you wrung it out yet?
Unfortunately I have not had a chance to use it since I sighted it in.

Curtis
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

well, get with it, fella.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Well...have you shot it yet?
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Very nice firearm. I havent shot the creedmore but love my 6.5 Grendel! The 6.5 have finally come into the fame they desearve, due to a healthy supply of low drag High bc bullets! Thinks have come a long way from the old 6.5 Jap Arisaka!
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Muy Bien!!! Looks like a real shooter. :yeah: