Scope Mount Questions

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
RLKondo
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF 204

Scope Mount Questions

Post by RLKondo »

Hello All,

I have a question about a scope I had mounted.
I had this VX2 3-9X50 mounted on my 22-250. It was done by a local gunsmith so I didn't think to check it over to closely, I was just excited to get out and shoot.

My question is how close is too close for the bell of the scope to be to the top of barrel? I added the picture, but it is tough to see. If you look at the rifle from just the right angle you can see daylight between the two, however, i can't slide a piece of paper between the two.

I went to sight in the rifle today and the gunsmith didn't even tighten the screws all the way. It took me about 3 shots and then I realized that my accuracy wasn't improving so I had to go into problem solving mode and then became concerned about how close the bell of the scope is to the barrel.

I just want to know if you think there is damage from the scope being this close? if there is daylight between the two, am I ok? Also, any other recommendations you have would be great.

Thanks,

RLKondo

Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Re: Scope Mount Questions

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

If it was me, I would go with a little higher ring set. That looks a little too close and as the barrel heats up, it could rub on the scope bell.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I also would tend to go to a slightly higher base, that is not very much clearance, in my opinion. If you have enough eye relief, you might try sliding that scope forward a little, there looks like, from the photo, that you can do this and that might give you more clearance without changing base's. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RL: If it were me, I'd just slide the scope forward about .100" and call it good. No need for higher rings, it'll just make you crane your neck to see through the scope, and it's almost perfect now. If you can see light between the objective bell and the barrel, you're okay. That barrel will never 'grow' enough due to heat to touch that scope.

I like my scopes as low over the bore as possible. It minimizes the effect canting has on shot placement and gets your eye closer to the bore axis. Besides, it also makes the rifle less 'bulky' and gives a much more pleasing aesthetic effect.

Here's a few of my Cooper rat rifles for illustration....all Leupold VX3 6.5-20X LR 40mm with M1 elevation turrets, mounted low over the bore using "Low" rings (see that little sliver of light under each scope?):

The higher the scope is from the bore of the rifle, the more chance of sighting error. Not to mention the effect unwanted canting adds to the equation. The way some folks have their scopes mounted so high on the rifle, it makes the scope look more like a carry handle than a sighting device. Slide the scope forward a tad and call it good; go out and shoot. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I agree with Rick. You gotta have clearance but, the less there is, the better. The only downside I see in your setup is if you want to use lens caps. Not enough clearance for Buttler Creek caps so you would have to use Leupolds' screw-in units. Of course, that just puts you into a better cap so I guess there is no draw back at all! :D
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

i agree with rick,,,,slide scope forward a bit to gain more clearance if it doesnt screw up your eye relief,,, i also agree, the barrel isnt going to expand with shooting ,,,,,im always working to get the lowest possible mount , for all the reasons rich and ramos mentioned , just saying, hope this helps comfort you
RLKondo
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF 204

Post by RLKondo »

Thank you gentleman for your information! I will tap the scope forward and call it good.
I have not had a chance to get back out and shoot again, but hopefully this weekend I will be punching some holes. :D

Rick, those Coopers are beautiful wood, action, barrel and scope all have great contrast; and I bet they shoot even better than they look.

Do you guys use 40 mm objectives for all your Deer and Elk rifles? I started using the 50mm to get some added brightness at dusk and dawn. Most of my hunting is cross canyon spot and stock, so that little extra light helps me reach out a little further.

Thanks again for all your help!

RLKondo
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

I, myself, like 40-42mm objectives on everything. Just allows me a better, more comfortable cheek weld. As for gathering light, my Leupolds and Vortex Vipers seem more than adequate. If I ever got brave enough to look through a $1.5-2K scope, I might change my tune. Since I can't afford to buy one, I just don't do it! :mrgreen:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Ramos...you're right on that and there have been many times I wish I'd have never looked. :o
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thanks for the warning, Jim. I will remain 'Blissfully Unaware'!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That advice carries over to other 'things' too. I never intended to ever actually buy a BMW 3-series, but an eager salesman buddy said "take it out for an afternoon spin". You can guess what happened after that.

Same goes for rifles. Back in the middle 90's, a buddy showed up on a rat shoot with a new Cooper Varmint in 6BR. Never had seen a Cooper before that, and when I saw how it shot, it got me all worked up. I've never been the same since! :lol:

Moral: Be careful what you fondle! :wink:

RLKondo:
In regard to hunting scopes.....my elk rifle, a M70 in .338-06 Ackley wears a Leupold 1.5-5X with a 22mm objective. I've shot bulls in black timber for years where a larger scope would have been just in the way....much too bulky with un-needed power for serious elking. My deer/sheep/antelope rifles wear 40mm Leupolds, mostly 3.5-10X's and some with 2.5-8X's with 36mm objectives. In over 50 years of hunting from Mexico to B.C., I've never ever NOT been able to make a shot due to not enough light during legal hunting hours.....never.

A very good friend at the Leupold factory told me long ago that large objective scopes are purely a marketing ploy, and is especially effective in the SE region of the U.S. The latest silly 56mm version VXL with the cutout for barrel clearance is the latest, most ridiculous offering yet. I can't imagine an experienced, serious hunter ever showing up in camp with one. (But I've seen some city-dwelling rookies out there carrying them around...) A huge objective bell, much wider than the rifle it's mounted on is just waiting to get bumped, scratched, banged or generally buggered up in the conditions in the outback.

Just an opinion and purely subjective, but to me, a scope should not overwhelm the rifle it's mounted on, and with all those years of hunting behind me, I've just never needed a larger objective on any scoped rifle I've ever owned. YMMV :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails