What rifle?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

What rifle?

Post by JaxTeller »

Hi there!! First post - so, greetings from West Central, MN. Came across this forum while doing a search for a new coyote rifle. Wasn't able to decide between the .204, 22-250 or a .223. Guess you guys know (since am posting here!) which caliber won.... :doh:

Looking to add this caliber, to my collection, primarily as a coyote rifle. Maybe shoot a few times a year and that's about it. I do not reload (yet), so that is a factor in rifle and ammo selection.

I've seen the Howa Lightning available for around 360 bucks. Are these any good? How is the lightning model different than the Hogue 1500 model made by Howa?

T/C Venture is another one that made my list. Both are 1:12 twist and would prefer a 32 gr ammo. How good is the 32 grain ammo on them coyotes? Can I bump up to the 40 grain stuff and have good results accuracy wise?
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: What rifle?

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome! If you're wanting to shoot 40 grainers (recommended for coyotes), the TC Venture is the way to go. That's the only off-the-rack .204 that comes with a 1:10 twist barrel that is required to stabilize the heavier .204 bullets.
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

RowdyYates wrote:Welcome! If you're wanting to shoot 40 grainers (recommended for coyotes), the TC Venture is the way to go. That's the only off-the-rack .204 that comes with a 1:10 twist barrel that is required to stabilize the heavier .204 bullets.
Actually browsing this website (or was it another!?) I read that the 1:10, is a typo. The rifle is actually a 1:12 twist. Fact?

Edit: mistyped the first time. TC should be 1:12.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

The 204R CAN be a great coyote rifle out to 300-350 yards or so. The bullet of choice, however, is the 35 grain Berger MHP and shoots well in 1:12 barrels. As far as I know, you have to load your own, though. The 32 grain V-Max is awesome for rodents but is not a coyote bullet, not even close. Also, it has been pretty well established that a 1:12 barrel that shoots the 40 grain V-Max accurately is the exception, not the rule. The 39 grain Sierra BK would be another option, and a better choice than the 32 grain V-Max. Still nowhere near the performance of the Berger, though.

204R+coyotes=reloading

I realize a person can kill just about anything, with anything. It does not, however, make it a good idea or anywhere near optimal.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As for loaded ammo in 204R for coyotes, I'm certain all would agree that the bullet of choice for yotes is the Berger 35gr. If things have not changed, HSM loads this bullet in 204R, so it would be the best choice for off the shelf coyote 204R medicine.

Second choice would be to find a load that has the 39gr SBK, but you'll want to pay attention to the shoulder splash factor using that bullet.

But to really appreciate what this neat caliber is capable of, you'll want to start handloading.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

I find the Nosler 40 BT's tougher than the BK's and V-Max....
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Judging by RPM limits, the two toughest jacket designs are Nosler/Sierra.

Until you reload, personally I love Varmint Nightmares at a slower pace.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

Check out the CZ model 527 .204 Rifles,the "American" is a lighter easier carrying Rifle and the "Varmint" is a little heavier Rifle with the longer barrel.Both are well made Rifles with wood stocks,quality workmanship and very accurate when finding the right weight bullet!
3rdSFGRetired

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

Hello,

Over a 21 span in the profession of Arms, I've discovered certain truths, truths that to most are theoretical, not practical. I say all that to say this, your original question was in regards to gathering advice and counsel on a caliber for coyotes. It's great and necessary to gather input from all available resources, however I'll pass this advice on to you and I'm persuaded there will come a point as you progress in your shooting and hunting abilities, this advice will come to mind.

I have shot perhaps 20-35 different calibers and styles of rifles under about every situation you could imagine. I visit these forums often to learn, always seeking knowledge and wisdom, however I caution you as you read people's comments/reviews on products, start now to establish a proper filter. I read so many product reviews and rifle forums and really think about what the person is saying. Unfortunately, more often then nought, I discern that the person is stating a opinion as a fact, and one is certainly entitled to a opinion, but when even ones opinion is serious flawed by realty, be careful. Example, over and over "shooter" state the opinion (as fact) that the .308 is "only and or best caliber to do.."

As soon as I see a comment like that, I immediately know this is a inexperienced shooter using only his small frame of experience to throw out bold claims.

As your gathering data about your future coyote gun, I advise you to devote just as much study to anatomy, in your case coyotes. Study how their body's work and how best to achieve your end goal. It's it simply to kill the creature or remove fur or whatever, but you have to determine this up front.

Research now where and how often you can go train with your weapon. Start to put together a weatherproof binder to write down everything about your rifle and yourself as you make mistakes and learn what your doing.

Rifles- it's my reasonable opinion from experience that just about any current, major rifle manufacturers, Ruger, Remmington, Savage ect will all provide a rifle, any model, that will outperform you for quite some time as you progress and grow as a shooter. I mean the gun will be able to its part. I've convinced, 80% of shooting success is the man behind the rifle.

Calibers- back to my previous statement about shooters throwing out bold opinions as facts, most common- ".. .308 is the best/ only only to take down large game."

That my friend is not truth. The creature with the strongest will to live is a Man. Over 5 years total in southern Afghanistan opened my eyes to ballistics and "shooting". Things I learned in training and thought were "truths" wherein fact proven wrong.

Back to my counsel to you on devoting time to anatomy, which will guide you to shot placement. Whatever rifle you get, it can be a .22 or .338, doesn't matter. Work ever so hard on becoming precise and also accurate with whatever rifle you pick . Precise and accurate are two different things.

It's all about shot placement. "308 is only caliber to kill a big game..". What a ignorant statement. I would love to take that person with me and show him truth, by letting him observe me hitting the base of the brain stem with with my Ruger .22Lr. It will then become real to him as he sees the buck dead instantly, unable to even take 1 stem, once that bullet hits brain stem and the creature falls dead on the spot.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Jaxteller. From what you are asking and the price range you seem to be interested in, I would say go with the Howas 1500 in either 204 or 223. The 204 would be my first choice, with the 223 being second. Either will do you justice on coyotes and just plain fun shooting, if all you do is a few hunts or shoots a year. You choice between should also take in too consideration which loaded/factory ammo is available, at any give time, in your area.
As Rick and some others mention, the 35 Berger is the #1 bullet for coyotes, etc. but you would have to reload to use that one.
So given your choice of loaded/factory ammo, in the 204 go with any of the good 32 grain bullets, they will put any coyote down, with good shot placement ( which is always the case with any given cartridge)
In the 223, go with a good 55 grain bullet.
The 1/12 twist will do you just fine in 204 factory barrels. Now in time, if you have a gunsmith re-barrel your 204 have them use a good 1/11 twist.
In 223, I would say live with the 1/12, which is what most come in. but again if you re-barrel or can find one put a 1/9 twist on.
That is my humble opinion.. Just read, gain some information and always, no matter what, put that bullet in the proper spot and your animals will not leave the area. :D Bill K :) ( And also, a big Welcome to the site, you will enjoy this group and can gain, and even add information to all of us.. Plus we like to see photo's of your weapons and game taken)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

3rd/Retired: Your experience is noted, but keep in mind this post is over a year old and the OP most likely has already made his choice. Your points are well taken though. I also learned that training and the real world are two different places altogether. If you want "truth", the only place to find it is in the real world.

Bill K: If I'm not mistaken, HSM does indeed load the Berger 35gr bullet in the 204R as I mentioned in my post here from 17 Aug 2015 above. You do not need to handload to shoot that bullet in the 204......but it would sure help. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Thanks Rick. I really took no note of the date on the post... Will have to look at the 35 Berger loaded ammo. Although, like you, I load them myself.. but hey factory with Berger in that grain, great. Wonder how the sale of Berger will effect some of this ammo and other's. Bill K :)
3rdSFGRetired

Post by 3rdSFGRetired »

Rick,

Thanks for the date check, I didn't even look at the date...I'm new to this particular forum and I'll certainly pay attention in future. I just hope the shooter who asked the original question might see the post and perhaps he may use something I put forth for thought...
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

3rdSFGRetired wrote:Rick, Thanks for the date check, I didn't even look at the date...I'm new to this particular forum and I'll certainly pay attention in future. I just hope the shooter who asked the original question might see the post and perhaps he may use something I put forth for thought...
No worries there, bud, we're glad to have you aboard. There's quite a few vets here with experience similar to yours/ours, so you're in good company with lots of like-minded fellows. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

the TC VENTURE 204 is 1@10 is why I went with it I called TC to just make sure. But mine is a 1@10. I love my 204 tc it shoots so sweet!!