Opionions on .22 Hornet

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Opionions on .22 Hornet

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello. I've kind of had a hankering for a .22 Hornet just because I've never had one & have plenty of other 20's & 22's. I want it just to shoot & maybe small varmints & crows @ 150 yards & in. Been looking at the Ruger laminated but don't know. Anyone care to share their opinion on the 22 Hornet cartridge? Is it easy to load for? Accurate? What gun do you prefer? Many thanks,
Jim D
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Opionions on .22 Hornet

Post by Bill K »

It has been around for a long time, and has it's follower's. Will do the job that you are talking about. But for a improvement in brass usage/reloads and some increase in FPS, I would go with the K-Hornet. Do some research and have fun, adding that cartridge to your arsenal. :D Bill K
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

my opinion is, it is easily trumped by the 17 Hornet ...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

JD: I've been a Hornet fan for over 40 years and over that time I've found that the best thing to happen to any Hornet rifle is to "K" it to the improved version. It about eliminates the constant case trimming inherent in the old tapered Hornet case plus gives you at least 150 fps more for any given bullet weight.

Accuracy is decent, less than MOA but will not equal a good 20VT or similar cartridge, but it will give you lots of smiles for that varmint work inside 150 - 200 yds. One of my long time favorite K-Hornets in the safe is my Browning Low Wall. Using the old Nosler 45gr Hornet bullet, it has accounted for more rock chucks than I can remember. I use it in the "settled" small ranch areas here so as not to blast the nearby neighbors into 911-Mode, and for work inside of 200 yards, it does very well indeed.

The little Low Wall with some rock chucks taken locally with the 45gr Nosler Hornet, clocking right at 3,050 fps using A1680, it's favorite powder:

As for huntsman22's suggestion of the 17 Hornet...... Another favorite of mine is my .17 Ackley Hornet. It will comfortably launch a 20gr V-Max to 3,860 fps, a tad faster than the commercial version now available, but if you like to fiddle with .17's, either is pure bliss in the rat patch or out in the sage after bunnies. Mine is built on an old Ruger No.3 using a new Pac-Nor barrel and B&C stock. Accuracy with this puppy is excellent, usually running about 3/8" @ 100 yds. It will puree a jackrabbit to a spectacular degree! :eek:

The little Ruger 17 Ackley Hornet:

For pure fun, economy, and a bit of nostalgia, you can't beat any version of the little Hornet. Did I mention "fun"? :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Sold my .22H after getting .221 Fireballs; sometimes miss its mild report when shooting near built-up areas.
A .19 Calhoon Hornet - Ruger or C-Z - would be the cat's meow. ;)
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I would also go for the 17 Hornet, mine is very impressive, lots of speed and splat on squirrels. If you go with the .22, definitely get it reamed out for the "K". Probably the easiest wildcat cartridge there is to get into.
K = ½mv2
GTOHunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GTOHunter »

I have a very nice Used Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter .22 Hornet and it is very accurate and has a nice light recoil yet puts the Varmints down.Im using 35 grain Hornady V-max bullets,I shot a Big Ol Groundhog at 128 yards when Is first sighted it in this Summer....still hoping to call in a Coyote,Fox or Bobcat while trying to Call them in this Fall/Winter! ;)
Cammo
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by Cammo »

Hi Jim

When I was a teenager the .22 Hornet was rifle to have here. I had a Ruger laminated .22 Hornet and it was a beautiful rifle that shot well, I only sold it because I'm a left hander and have a Browning A-Bolt LH. I just got a .22 Hornet on a Martini cadet action.

I also have a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet that is exceptional!

Regards
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

They're fun to shoot, although I never saw the laser accuracy with them I did out of other calibers.

Just about no pop to them, low recoil, low noise.

I had an older CZ that did not like to single feed, my new one in maple has no problem with it.

This is a pick before I changed the scope. I was told having a messy bench was mandatory though. :mrgreen:

robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

Id love another 22 hornet in a martini cadette.dad had 1 barreled in 22 hornet n it was stolen.loved that rifle.accurate n just right for 100 yards.great on turkeys too.no recoil n not loud.
Now i have a handi rifle in 22 hornet
Elliott
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ527

Post by Elliott »

Love my CZ527 22 Hornet. I single load 40gr V-Max and launch them at 3,000fps. Stunning accuracy, 0.3" groups at 100 yards and I've taken rabbits out at over 350 yards in calm conditions! I'm pretty confident in keeping up with my pal's 17 Hornet out to 300 yards.

Don't underestimate the little 22 Hornet!
https://www.youtube.com/user/elliottg123
Tikka T3 Varmint 223
CZ527 22 Hornet
CZ452 22LR
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

No never underestimate a 22 hornet
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Three year old thread........what the heck I will throw in.
I had a Hornet off and on for a few years. Then got to tinkering with 22RF. Forward a few more years and we entered the mess with 22 ammo. I had plenty of ammo for .22rf, but it was still frustrating to see what it was going to cost me to replace. Most all of the guys I shot with quit because of ammo availability. Another couple of years, I got ticked off and sold all of my Winchester collection except a few.
Bought a 22 hornet to replace my RF addiction. I was wanting to equal the good am running about 1010-1050 fps. One summer and I had it shooting as well as a couple of high end rigs I had. Cast my own bullets to boot.
On the other hand I can crank it up a fair bit over a 22rf.
I have looked at and thought about the K, just never jumped on the wagon. I am not looking for anymore than it has to offer anyway.
I have other cartridges if I want to do more. A 17HH, a couple of 204's a few 223's and 22-250's.
All depends on what you want it to do.
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

Never had a K hornet,but a friend had 1 bored to k. He said he wished he hadnt done that.i took his advice n never bored mine
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

robert w. wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 am Never had a K hornet,but a friend had 1 bored to k. He said he wished he hadnt done that.i took his advice n never bored mine
Myself on the other hand, have rechambered every Hornet I've owned to K-Hornet. Less brass stretching (actually zero stretching), better velocity, flatter trajectory, longer brass life, and usually a bit more accuracy as the case is of much better design than the original obsolete tapered case.

My current 22 K-Hornet offering resides in my Browning 1885 Low Wall Octagon, single shot falling block and is just the ticked for low impact (quiet) forays for rock chucks in areas where my 20VT is really not so welcome.

K-ing a Hornet is the best thing that can happen to it! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails