Problems with Ruger 77

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Problems with Ruger 77

Post by randyman »

This isn't my gun nor is it a .204 but please bear with me. I'm describing the problem with the gun which is a 17 Hornet for a friend who doesn't do much stuff on the computer.
He purchased the rifle new last year as a squirrel gun. The first time out shooting it with factory loads, he experienced difficulty work the bolt after firing the shot. The bolt works fine on the ammo until it's fired then it would be hard to open.
He contacted Ruger about the problem and they wanted him to send it back so he did. He had to make a box and pay for the shipping but it was returned to Ruger.
When he got it back the repair invoice said they replaced the bolt handle and had done test firings with a 5/8 group (no details as to how the grouping was performed)
I went with him to our favorite squirrel ranch to check out the repairs and hopefully shoot some rats. He loaded with factory ammo (not sure of the brand) and after the first shot the bolt was so tight you could lift it but not pull it back. We finally got the bolt pulled back after a few minutes of cooling and inspected the fired brass for damage but didn't notice anything out of ordinary. We did this 3 more times and left the fired brass in the chamber on the last shot.
I don't know how Ruger can say they test fired the rifle after replacing the bolt handle when they obviously didn't unless they used a different type of ammo. My friend is pretty upset with Ruger as they are making him pay to send it back. I offered to send this message out to the group to see if anyone has a suggestion as to what the problem might be. He may have it fixed by a local gunsmith instead of sending it back as it may be cheaper.
Thanks for any help! Randy.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Problems with Ruger 77

Post by skipper »

Just investigating here BUT did he use the same ammo as the first time out? It sort of sounds like he's experiencing extreme high pressure. Try different ammo. Ask Ruger what ammo they used to perform their testing.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks for getting back to me on the stuck bolt issue. I suspected the same, either high pressure or maybe head spacing problems. I'm not sure of the ammo he was using because it wasn't in the factory box but a plastic 100 round box. He has reloaded for the gun but hesitates to try it because of warranty issues. He was suppose to talk to Ruger on Monday because they were closed for the week of the 4th but I haven't heard how that discussion went. Thanks again, Randy
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

You are welcome, anytime. If he is indeed reloading this ammo in the plastic box or using ammo someone else has reloaded he appears to be way over the maximum load for this particular combination. I would probably suggest that he re-examine his load development procedures and work up from the minimum suggested load for the bullet and powder he is using, slowly. Small incremental increases of .2 grains at a time might be the thing OR try some actual factory loads. Many 204's will stack 5 shots under a dime at 100 yards with factory loads.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman

Post by randyman »

This a follow up on the Ruger 77 problem. The rifle was returned to Ruger (again-same problem) but this time they took it out and actually shot it. Guess what? They couldn't get the bolt to open either. They have offered to replace the rifle but the transaction has to go thru an FFL dealer with all the usual fees. I suppose this closes out the case. Thanks, Randy.