600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Guy M

600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Post by Guy M »

Finally got some rounds downrange at 600 yards with the 6 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle! I am very pleased. Shot from the bench, with the rifle on a Harris bipod, no rear bag. Ammo was my handloaded 108 gr Hornady ELD Match bullets with H4350. I had removed the muzzle brake and did notice a little more muzzle jump, despite the weight of the rifle.

Used the Jeep to set out my 600 yard paper & steel targets. Fresh snow from yesterday!

Set up the rifle, on the bipod, with no rear bag. Had to clear snow off the bench!

The Vortex. I'm finally happy with it. Great scope for this rifle!

600 yard target, some of my last few shots after I'd found my 600 yard dope today. I'm pretty sure I pulled that one high and left. Feeling good about that:

Spent most of my time banging this steel gong at 600 yards. Sure was fun! I hadn't shot 600 yards in quite a while.

All in all, I'm happy with the rifle, the scope, the load, and even myself. Didn't even try prone today, was having too much fun from the bench.

Felt good to get some rounds downrange from 600 again.

Guy
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 600 yard 6 Creedmoor Results

Post by Bill K »

Looking good, nice looking rifle and set up. Shooting well also. Bill K
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

looks like you have a shooter,The 6 mm creedmoor is an awesome round,What length Free Bore and twist does your ruger have? I just got a 6 mm creedmoor barrel,a light varmint 1in 8" with.104 FB.Have 313 rounds down the barrel;bore scoped it, and still looks almost like new.The group on paper looks like you may have 1/4-1/3 Moa rifle.When it warms up your groups will probably get tighter.I.ve been shooting 87 v-max and 105.s by Hornady and the Nosler RDF.Still working on nosler 70 gr.BT.LIke the looks of your scope and rings.I'm waiting for it to warm up here;that is good shooting in the cold with no rear bag.Keep us posted on future trips to the range.varget204
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Thanks. My rifles sometimes pick up names. This one is "BUG" for Big Ugly Gun. It officially displaced my AR-15 as the ugliest gun I own, but it is a shooter! :)

Twist rate on Ruger's factory barrel is 1:7.7

Why 7.7? Danged if I know! :)

Haven't measured the freebore. I just handloaded to match the factory ammo for overall length, using the same bullet. My first impression with the factory ammo was so favorable, I didn't do much changing. Still need to run 'em over the chronograph. I suspect I'm somewhere around 2950 - 3000 fps, but who knows?

Guy
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I was wondering how does 1/4 MOA clicks compare to 1/8 MOA clicks, especially sighting in at 600 yards? At 600 yards 1 click is roughly 1 1/2 in. Second question. If that rifle is THAT ugly, why don't you send it to me, please?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Skipper (I used to get called that when I was a Captain in the Marines)

I've never had a scope that had 1/8 MOA clicks. But I've achieved High Master in NRA Long Range prone competition. ;)

One click equaling 1/4 MOA is just peachy with me. I'm human. I vibrate more than that.

It IS "that ugly" ! :) But I kinda like it. Ma Deuce never won any beauty contests either, but she's beloved by many who fired her, or relied upon her for help in a tight spot. I kinda like the BUG. Sorry Ruger, I know you want it known as the Ruger Precision Rifle... But... This one is my BUG. ;)

They're made in 338 Laupa too... I have no idea what I'd do with such a beast, but it would be fun. :)

Guy
skipper

Post by skipper »

Hey, I was in the Marines as well, but mine is a nautical title. Someone called me skipper once while out sailing with the Power Squadron and it stuck. I don't capitalize it out of respect for those who had to earn the title the hard way. So were you a Parris Island Marine or did you get to lay out on top of the Quonset huts with your sunglasses and tanning lotion?

I have a NightForce with 1/8 MOA clicks. It comes in handy at long range or whenever I really want to dial in the groups.

Thanks, for your service.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

The 1-7.7 twist is Especially for 108-115 grain long Vld type bullets, FB is probably around .183. My barrel is 1 in 8, .104 FB,can shoot up to 107 grain bullets. A scpoe w/1/8 moa at 600 yards is 3/4".I have a 10-50x 60 w/1/8 moa on mine.I,d agree about ma duece,love that sound when chargeing.Anyone with in hearing range ,their ears will perk up :lol: It's so ugly it's perty.Don't know how many rounds you have got threw it.You usually get 50 to 100 fps increase
in velocity after 100 to 200 rounds w/the 6 creedmoor.It may become my favorite cartridge.Have had good luck w/ IMR 4350 & H 4350 at 2950-2975 fps with the 105"s.If you get a 338 lapua ya might look for some kind of wheel carriage for it :)--varget204
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I was pretty doggone impressed with the Hornady factory ammo. Bought only one box of it, 108 gr ELD match.

Functioned perfectly through the Ruger rifle, no surprise, and excellent accuracy! Sighting in the rifle took but a few minutes and a few shots. I've fired 17 factory cartridges, kept three to use over a chronograph when I take it to the range. And I've fired 20 of my handloads, using the same 108 grain bullet with H4350.

The light-recoil and good accuracy make this an awful lot of fun to shoot.

I've been focused on big game hunting for some years now, and often shoot my hunting rifles which weigh less & kick more. This is a pleasant change.

Guy
Chiaan
.204 Ruger Guns: 6mm Ruger Precision

Post by Chiaan »

Hi guys I just got my 6mm creedmoor Ruger Precision, found an awesome load and am busy tweaking it as we speak. Im loading 41.9gr H4350 behind a 105 Nosler RDF with Federal small rifle match primers, using brand new virgin Lapua small primer brass. Currentle the speed I get is 3060fps, showing no signs of pressure and Im shooting 1/4 MOA at 100m with an ES of 5 fps. I really love my new RP as its as accurate out of the box as a few more expensive rifles i own, I topped it with a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 and they compliment each other immensely. This rifle was bought solely for mid range gong competitions but will also use it for small to medium game hunting here in South Africa.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Sounds very good and I am sure you are going to enjoy it. By the way, we enjoy photo's of guns and even the area of your shoots and game shot.. HINT, HINT. :D Bill K :) ( Almost forgot, Welcome to the group and site)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Guy, I'm curious why the 6mm over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I ask because I find myself asking that question. Also included is the 6x47, 6.5 x47 or the 260 Remington or AI.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Jim White wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm Guy, I'm curious why the 6mm over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I ask because I find myself asking that question. Also included is the 6x47, 6.5 x47 or the 260 Remington or AI.
Hi Jim, sorry I neglected this post for so long and hope you got your new rifle!

Why the 6mm? :) It was on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse for $748...

I also have a soft spot for the 6mm bore, Dad gave me a 6mm Remington back in the 1970's and it's still in use by my youngest son.

I'd have likely been happy with either the 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor, but the 6mm was on sale at a great price, so it came home with me along with dies, brass, factory ammo, and Hornady 108 gr bullets.

BTW - further handloading with Superformance powder revealed excellent accuracy and velocity too. Maybe, maybe, just a bit better than produced by H4350.

Regards, Guy
skipper

Post by skipper »

What's the distance of your typical shot while hunting? I see you're loading the ELD variety. How's that working out??
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

skipper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am What's the distance of your typical shot while hunting? I see you're loading the ELD variety. How's that working out??
Oh, this is a range toy - I could hunt with it I suppose. No real intention of doing so. It's awfully heavy & cumbersome for hunting.

I've taken mule deer anywhere from about 20 yards out to 400 yards. Just with standard rifles. In fact the 20 yard mule deer and the 400 yard mule deer were both taken with my good ol' 25-06 Rem 700.

Regards, Guy