.257 Roberts load testing

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

.257 Roberts load testing

Post by randyman »

I had a pretty good load worked up for my deer rifle but this year we gotta shoot lead-free bullets so I pretty much have to start over. I started with a slightly reduced load of RL-15 just to make sure there weren't any problems with the TTSX 100 grain bullets I got. I worked up loads in .5 grain increments till I reached mid way on the powder charts and headed to the local range to see how they would do at 100 yards. I was pretty surprised by the outcome and didn't have to make any scope adjustments. I shot 5 rounds of each load and liked how the 40.0 grain performed so I loaded up 20 more and will head back to the range to see what happens when I stretch it out to 200 yards. I did move the scope 3 clicks right after I got home so we'll see what that does. May have to adjust when I see the 200 results. What I'm curious about is how will any game wardens know if I'm using lead free or not since I don't have a factory box of ammo to show them if asked? These Barnes TTSX bullets have the same color tip as the Nosler Ballistic Tip which are not lead-free. I talked to one warden in a county up north of me and asked how they were going to enforce the lead bullet ban and he said they didn't know how to tell unless someone volunteered the information. Anyways, that's my little rant so here's a photo of my target for all you photo lovers out there. R! Sorry, when I try to attach the photo it tells me it's an invalid file extension.
IMG_4778.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG (123.9 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: .257 Roberts load testing

Post by randyman »

Hey! It worked! Randy.