Ruger Rifles...plus one or two others

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Ruger Rifles...plus one or two others

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Been shooting Ruger rifles since the early 70's. My first was an M77 Tang safety in 6mm Remington built in 1970 for me. My Dad had a custom adult size stock built for it and kept the original and cut it down to fit my 11 year old self. He built a .270 Winchester and 25-06 in the Ruger #1 model in 1971 and 1972 respectively. I owned close to two dozen (or more) Ruger handguns since 1979 or so from the Mark series .22, to the .357 double action and .44 SBH and SRH. I held a FFL from 1980 to 1993. I was able to buy them cheap, shoot them to my hearts content and sell them when somebody offered me stupid money for them. I only own a couple of .22's now (other than the rifles). I bought my .204 in February. Still shaking it out, but am extremely pleased so far.

I have not owned a Ruger (any Ruger) that I could not get to shoot!! I have wished to get a SRH to shoot as well as a SBH, but it still shot well.
Attachments
204 Ruger 1.jpg
204 Ruger 1.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 13737 times
Ruger #1 25-06.jpg
Ruger #1 25-06.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 13737 times
Ruger #1 270.JPG
Ruger #1 270.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 13737 times
6mm. Rem. M77.jpg
6mm. Rem. M77.jpg (535.05 KiB) Viewed 13737 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Ruger Rifles...plus one or two others

Post by skipper »

Sooner or later you're going to need some advice for that 204 Ruger. They have a bad habit of forming the dreaded carbon ring just past the chamber that will make you think the whole rifle is messed up. Easy enough fix! Some bore paste will clear things up in short order. Other issues are the twist rate. A 1:12 twist will either shoot 40 gr. bullets or it will start key holing them or the groups will open up past the point of no return. Most members here will go the custom build route where they can opt for a 1:11 twist rate. Either way there are a whole lot of people here that can help you with dialing in that 204 Ruger and keeping it shooting those sub MOA groups.

Nice collection of rifles there. When you get tired of them, someone here will be more than happy to take them off your hands. Provided you're willing to sell them. Either way, have fun!!!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

As Skipper said, lots of information and some good advice is available from members and the loading manuals.
You will enjoy the 204 R cartridge, it is a very good one and does a fine job on varmints and paper.
Your collection of rifles looks very nice and well cared for. Welcome aboard. Bill K :)

And we enjoy photo's of your rifles, area and critters taken. Example.
102_5982.JPG
102_5982.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 13701 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'd bet there's at least one Ruger firearm in about everyone's safe, mine included. Great guns for the money.

As usual, that's some great looking timber on that No.1. They sure do a nice job of outfitting those rifles with nice wood. Mine is no exception, a No.1V in .223 that has a Canjar single set trigger, bedded/floated and now shoots 1/4" all day. It is the ONLY rifle I've ever owned that went 100 for 100 a few years ago in the rat patch shooting H335 and 40gr NBT's.

The first handgun I ever shot was a Ruger MK-I long ago, owned by my dad, and has since been passed down to my grandson.

Welcome aboard! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jwsmith1959

Post by jwsmith1959 »

The #1's had custom wood. Here are a couple others made by the same stock maker. He was a Mechanical Engineer and Machinist at the Monsanto Plant in Texas City until he retired in the mid 70's. My Dad became friends with him in the late 40's/early 50's. They built many a rifle together. I remained friends with him until his death in the early 90's. I was even a Pall Bearer at his funeral. A few others of his art work....
Attachments
Model 70 30-06 2.jpg
Model 70 30-06 2.jpg (233.07 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
101_6630.JPG
101_6630.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 13663 times
101_6584.JPG
101_6584.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 13663 times
98 FN244 Remington.jpg
98 FN244 Remington.jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
7 mauser 95 FN.jpg
7 mauser 95 FN.jpg (313.27 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Now that is some very outstanding work there! Another artist lost to the mists of time.

You are fortunate to have some of his remaining work to admire for years to come. Thanks for sharing. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

That is so true Rick. There still are a few around that do fine wood stocks, but not like back a few years, when fine wood stocks were the way to go. These examples show it and they surely will stay with him and family for years to enjoy and treasure. Again, I add, Thank you for sharing them. BIll K :)
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Bill K wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 am As Skipper said, lots of information and some good advice is available from members and the loading manuals.
You will enjoy the 204 R cartridge, it is a very good one and does a fine job on varmints and paper.
Your collection of rifles looks very nice and well cared for. Welcome aboard. Bill K :)

And we enjoy photo's of your rifles, area and critters taken. Example. 102_5982.JPG
@BillK;

Mind sharing info/details on this rifle such as the stock/barrel/action you have. I'm looking for ideas for a build I've got going .
TIA
Jim
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Jim: It is a Howa 1500 action, that I had a Xcaliber 1/11 twist, 3 groove SS barrel put on, and I bedded it into the Boyd's Laminated Nutmeg stock. Being in California and with the Commie Fish and Wildlife commission, being ran by anti-hunters and Evoro's, I must use only lead free ammo for all game and varmints not, but that portion does not bother me, as the NTX's and Nosler Lead free bullets work as well or even better than many of the lead one's I shot before, in all my 224, 20 and 17 caliber rifles. Hope this helps you.
With Xcaliber, McGowen, Ragged Hole barrels and some others you have a good selection of companies to purchase barrels chambered and fitted to your action or even the prefits now available. Bill K
jwsmith1959

Post by jwsmith1959 »

skipper wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:27 pm Sooner or later you're going to need some advice for that 204 Ruger. They have a bad habit of forming the dreaded carbon ring just past the chamber that will make you think the whole rifle is messed up. Easy enough fix! Some bore paste will clear things up in short order. Other issues are the twist rate. A 1:12 twist will either shoot 40 gr. bullets or it will start key holing them or the groups will open up past the point of no return. Most members here will go the custom build route where they can opt for a 1:11 twist rate. Either way there are a whole lot of people here that can help you with dialing in that 204 Ruger and keeping it shooting those sub MOA groups.

Nice collection of rifles there. When you get tired of them, someone here will be more than happy to take them off your hands. Provided you're willing to sell them. Either way, have fun!!!
I don't frequent American Shooting Center, but would be willing to set up a time we can shoot together once things get a little more normal. There is also a range close to me in Orchard/Wallis that goes out to 700 yds. I have only shot the 400 - down to 100 range there. Weekend is not worth going because it is crowded. If he opens on Tuesday and Thursday again, I will let you know.
jwsmith1959

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Bill K wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 am As Skipper said, lots of information and some good advice is available from members and the loading manuals.

And we enjoy photo's of your rifles, area and critters taken. Example. 102_5982.JPG
I have that stock on a 22-250. I really like Boyd's. I bought a Richards Microfit for a Howa 1500 in 308. It required a lot of work to finish it and get it where I wanted, but boy does it shoot!
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Thanks BillK.

I'm building a 20P on a R783 action with an X-Caliber 24" 11T SS barrel, waiting on Boyd's to send me something, I went with the Pro Varmint but I may order a Spike Camp stock for $100 just to see if I like the thumbhole idea. I have a TH on a 10/22 that is comfy but not sure on a CF rifle (overall larger rifle but no real increase in recoil).
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Think you will like the TH stock/s. I have about three of them and a old shooting buddy uses just nothing but TH's, they are comfortable and work well over a bench and/or varmint fields, even hunting rifles. When you have them all set up, post a few photos. Bill K :)
(by the way, I have been thinking about putting one of my rifles into the Spike Camp model also.)
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

I've got the action and barrel together, just waiting on Boyd's to do their thing. Thanks for the info on the TH's. Did you go with Boyd's on your TH's or try different brands, and what models??
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I used the Boyd's TH's, believe, if memory serves me, that it was the TH Varmint model. When I buy the next one, I am going to go with the new Spike Camp model, which is also a TH. This one will go on my CZ 527 in 17 Fire ball, just can not make up my mind if I want the nutmeg Lami or the walnut. Bill K