What would you do????

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: What would you do????

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:22 pm No reason to send it to Weatherby and spend extra money on postage, etc. when it is most likely nothing more than a slight adjustment to the trigger/sear, which a local gunsmith could do, or even yourself, with care. :)
I was married to a lawyer for 23 years and also was an insurance agent...no need, but in our society, liability is everything. So that extra money, etc as you call it, would be what I call insurance. If there is ever a law suite, Weatherby and their business insurance will be a part of the fight along side you.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said "that will never happen to me".
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Aside from the case of the suit against Remington, years back, which was a farce, as the lady pointed the rifle towards her son and pulled the trigger while unloading it, how many cases have you actually seen or your wife handled, of firearms going off by a malfunction or adjusted trigger ?
Many of us, over the years have repaired, adjusted and taken care of our firearms, including trigger replacement/adjustments and have never, ever had an issue doing so.
But all of us sure do take chances every day, more in driving our vehicles on daily travels, of being sued and in need of insurance, than we ever will by adjusting out own triggers, with proper care and instructions. Just saying. :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:41 pm I've got a book in my library titled "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank deHaas.
Which version is best?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:12 pm
Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:41 pm I've got a book in my library titled "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank deHaas.
Which version is best?
Version? Not sure what you're referring to there, Jim.
One version, one book.

Are you asking which bolt action rifle was deemed 'best'? That's not what the book is about. It covers, in extreme detail, all the attributes and defects of virtually every bolt gun produced since 1895, adjustments, strong/weak points, etc. I consider it a 'must-have' book for any serious shooter. It also contains machine drawings of all the barrel shanks, silhouette views of every part in every rifle, assembly, disassembly; a complete study of the bolt action rifle by every maker. Highly recommended.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:48 am
Which version is best?
One version, one book.

Are you asking which bolt action rifle was deemed 'best'? That's not what the book is about. It covers, in extreme detail, all the attributes and defects of virtually every bolt gun produced since 1895, adjustments, strong/weak points, etc. I consider it a 'must-have' book for any serious shooter. It also contains machine drawings of all the barrel shanks, silhouette views of every part in every rifle, assembly, disassembly; a complete study of the bolt action rifle by every maker. Highly recommended.
There is a revised addition, which is the one I have, where he added 19 more chapters. Great book for anyone who loves rifles.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:37 am Aside from the case of the suit against Remington, years back, which was a farce, as the lady pointed the rifle towards her son and pulled the trigger while unloading it, how many cases have you actually seen or your wife handled, of firearms going off by a malfunction or adjusted trigger ?
Many of us, over the years have repaired, adjusted and taken care of our firearms, including trigger replacement/adjustments and have never, ever had an issue doing so.
But all of us sure do take chances every day, more in driving our vehicles on daily travels, of being sued and in need of insurance, than we ever will by adjusting out own triggers, with proper care and instructions. Just saying. :)
Bill, I work for a State Agency so I see a lot of nonsense that would make you shake your head. 5 more years to retire. I have adjusted my own triggers, and in fact did it on my new Tikka. It was very easy. I dont know much about Weatherby rifles but they are supposed to be pretty good. And there again, I am not afraid to mail guns. But to each their own. Have a great day.

PS have you got a booster? I am considering it....
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I retired for LE, after 28 yrs. Talk about nonsense, I could tell you some good ones. As far as suits, I saw plenty filed, but 99% never saw beyond the light of day. People will try to sue for any number of reasons and there is always a lawyer that will side with them, hoping for a settlement and a share of the profits.
The old saying still holds true too this day, even more so.
"" Anyone can file a suit, winning is another story". Any way back to the OP's post, he has the choice, to which way to go, with some of our suggestions or something else.

Which every way, I do hope he and all of us on this site, have a super "Merry Christmas and a very good New Year" :D

As for the booster, I have 4 more months to wait, for it. Was not even going to take the shots, but daughter in medical talked Mom & I into having them. If politicians would stay out of it and let the medical people handle it, maybe it would not have gone so crazy and out of hand. Who knows :huh:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:48 am
Which version is best?
One version, one book.

Apologies for my tardy reply...it's that work thing again. I'm a 3-digit midget until retirement day and its coming one day at a time. Anyway, when I looked up the title I saw different revisions and was curious abut which one you were referring too. When you give it a recommendation that's good enough for me.

In my experience sometimes the early revisions are more through than the later ones and vise-versa. I'd most likely opt for the later one if it encompasses the all the info from the earlier versions.

Curiosity was killing the cat.