Ruger77/17 Hornet

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Ruger77/17 Hornet

Post by dirtcd »

Looking to add a Ruger 77/17 Hornet to my arsenal. Interested in the good,bad and the ugly of the rifle. Would be squirrel hunting out to 300 yards. Thanks!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ruger77/17 Hornet

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've had them in 22 Mag and 17HMR. Most times you need to shim the bolt and bed them as you normally would any bolt gun. Reports for the Hornet vary, but it would be about perfect for what you want to do, especially if you are picky about ammo; the weakest link. I put a Lilja SS Match barrel on my 17HMR version, and it shot almost like a bench rifle after adding a Moyers trigger and bedding.

Ask your question here also and do a search, as there are literally hundreds of Ruger Hornet threads over there:

http://saubier.com/forum.html

Mine in the rat patch last season.

The best aspect of the Ruger 77 rifles is the excellent rotary magazine. When in the field, two of those magazines fit nicely in a double revolver nylon speedloader pouch, such as those by Uncle Mike's. Good rifles for the money if you give them a bit of TLC, but don't expect bughole targets without it. The best of luck to you with yours. :)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Re: Ruger77/17 Hornet

Post by dirtcd »

Thanks for the info!! Looked at the rifle again this afternoon,bolt definitely needs shimmed, barrel needs floated, and would bed the action, thanks!!