20 BR anyone

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

20 BR anyone

Post by jsh »

Have probably visited/corresponded with most anyone that has fooled with one.
Running Berger 55’s. It may see some 40-45’s but few.
Need to skim turn necks just to knock off the high spots.
Jeff
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: 20 BR anyone

Post by skipper »

JSH
I'm definitely interested in the 20 BR. I'm trying to decide if the 20 BR or the 20 PPC is the better choice for 600 yd scompetitive shooting. Any insights would be much appreciated. I'm wanting to do a new build with all the right parts and do NOT want to look back afterwards and wished I had gone a different direction. I intend to use a Lilja 3 groove heavy barrel for this build. Probably a Panda action. i have one that I love.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Can't really aid you much on your two choices. But I am working up and playing with a 22PPC at the present time. Howa mini action with a Preffered barrel. It is working well and shooting some nice groups, with the 55 grain bullets and CFE 223 powder. Will be playing with other powder and bullets.
Don't really shoot it much beyond 400 yrds and nothing in contests, just a walking around coyote and rock chuck rifle.
I have thought about a 20 PPC also, but did the 22 cal, as I have several other fine 20 caliber rifles.
Keep us posted on your results and which way you do go. :)
jsh

Post by jsh »

There is some reference to both on accurate shooter.
I felt the 22-250 case was a bit much. After I played with the 22BR and found it so wonderful to work with, I went to the BR case for the 20. May still be a bit much, but I can down load rather than pressure it up.
The PPC case may be the ticket, but I had no bolt face set up for it and 20BR seemed a bit easier.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Being lazy, rather than google/search. Is the BR bolt face the same as 308 or 223 ? :)

Disregard, I think I see it is a 308 bolt face measurement.
jsh

Post by jsh »

Well after what I feel like was an extensive search and reaching out to some, I got zero responses.
10-14 years ago there was a lot of chatter on the 20BR with heavy bullets. Lots of threads with some data was about all I came up with. There has been some new powders show up and a lot of the old stand bys are hard to come by or nonexistent. A fellow from the UK and another from South Africa put out some info and findings.
I ended up going with VV150,CCI450, and the 55 Berger’s.
I started low, 27.5 and worked my way up .5 at a time.
Had the magneto speed on the barrel. I don’t think it does a lot to this barrel as it is a full bull straight no taper. I was shooting for group and speed with no high expectations with groups at this time. Shot five shot groups on everything, glad I did as the battery for the chrono was weak and missed a few, new battery and have a spare again.
The 27.5 loads average were around 3260FPS. Gains fell in well with the .5 increase 40-50FPS each.
29.5 gave me an average of 3552fps which I can live with, I was hoping for 3600 at least. Buddy thought the 29.0 group looked better but I pointed out the 29.5 cut the SD and ES in half of the one he liked. 29.5 , SD-8, ES-19.

I feel this project is pretty well a success at this point. I am going to bump up some more as time allows. I think things will only get better as I know brass is a small bit long, I could have trimmed but I have found moving that much brass, 6mm to 20, it can grow more on firing and it never does that squarely either.

As far as groups I will say they are good showing a lot of promise. Have not shot a 1” group yet…………..every thing has been smaller;-). I felt froggy Saturday and had some barrel break in loads, shot a group @100 and one @200, both under 1”, size and shot pattern was the same as well.
This is working thus far as nicely as the 22BR did
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like you are making good progress with those loads and powder used. The mention of less than 1" at both 100 and 200 yrds is less tha 1 MOA, so that is showing good results and especially if they continue to group as such. Keep us posted on further results and maybe a photo or two of rifle and targets. :)
jsh

Post by jsh »

961F28BC-6F9D-40D0-B027-37E7531F7D2F.jpeg
961F28BC-6F9D-40D0-B027-37E7531F7D2F.jpeg (4.22 MiB) Viewed 14131 times

The horizontal was consistent and I am now pretty sure it was my rear bag set up after talking with some folks.
jsh

Post by jsh »

I ran this up .5 at a time to 30.5. With the 30.0 load I still gained 40 FPS, numbers were not what I was looking for.
30.5 I only gained an average of 10 FPS, but SD 7 and ES 10.
Powder is just into the shoulder, if compressed it is very very little. Groups were still under MOA@100.
Now to tinker with seating a little. Still have a few more to fire form. I am going to anneal after each firing with these. Necks may be a little hard right now so that may change some things down the road.
Pretty much achieved what I intended an set out to do, 35-3600 with a case full of powder, good numbers and stellar accuracy for just getting started.

Yeah it may not be for everyone, some deem it a barrel burner. With 1500 Berger’s I should have enough to wear it out. If I shoot 100-150 rounds a year I will be surprised.
I find myself shooting accurate rigs less than I do the problem child.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jsh, glad to hear you've reached your goal with your 20BR...nice when a plan comes together.

Question: What is the intended purpose of this rifle now that you've found 'the' load? Seems like it would be a great chuck rifle for extended range shooting. Inquiring minds and all that.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

For those that worry about burning out a barrel. So what. Is that not just another part of our shooting and reloading sport ? If you worry about burning out a barrel then maybe you should find another hobby. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Barrel makers are people too, they have to stay in business or we're outa luck next time a barrel goes south!

After all, think about all the fun a guy has burning out that barrel! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I hate to shot a good tube out but the alternative is to not shoot it all...a real bummer.;)
jsh

Post by jsh »

This project came after a phone call to Todd Kindler about three years ago, the call lasted close to 2 hours. I learned a fair bit in the conversation.
My whole main purpose is to shoot a prairie dog at 1000. I will not be the first by any means.
They are no chip shot at that range with any rig.
Finding and ranging one, then getting one to pose for the camera will be a chore. I figure about 2 hours tops a day for conditions to do so.

A couple of years ago one week we were out, it was fairly over cast all day long. It was calm as well, so about as perfect as you could get with no mirage to speak of and little wind, ALL day.

As to wear, I am with most. The things are threaded for a reason. It is a consumable, just like tires and brakes on a vehicle. Depending on the purpose as to how long they last.
12-1500 is a lot by some, and not much by others.
I have tried to explain it to some locals, this was not built as a play pretty or to plink at the dump with. I have plenty of others for that.
I have gotten comments to the effect XYZ cartridge would do it with no problem. Yeah, maybe so, I tend to do some things the hard way. More likely than not, I will get to see most of the “show” in the scope with the reduced recoil.

Now if the pilot will get on his game, I should be in business. I am working on trying to get access back to a place I used to be able to use years ago, it stretches out to a mile.
Closest place I have today is 2 hours away and only goes to 400, long haul for the purpose. Other wise I have 200 meters at hand.
jsh

Post by jsh »

May as well fill in the blanks as to the build, nothing special really.
Zermatt TL3
Shilen select 1-9”, full bull
Trigger Tech Diamond straight blade
KRG Bravo
Arken 5-25

Couple of guys told me to go to a different barrel, I didn’t want to add another year to the project, I have and have had numerous Shilen over the years. They have always been easy to work with, along with zero complaints from me.
The TL3, because I wanted one and didn’t want another single shot action for future use/projects.
Buddy has a 3D printer, trying to get him to make a drop port sled for AICS magazine.

KRG Bravo, I like them. Imho Best Buy for the $$$. Got this one on a Black Friday deal.

Arken, 5-25, I now have five and want another. It is a veteran run company, and have been great to work with. I hope the have continued success with their future projects. I will rank it right with a couple of Bushnell elite tacticals that cost 3-4x the $$$$.