Tikka T3 - Anyone shot one?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Tikka T3 - Anyone shot one?

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Has anyone had any experience with the Tikka T3?
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

yes sir... I have one in a 270wsm and I love it the action is smooth and the trigger is the best I have ever used. It is also very accurate!! I haven't heard of one that wasn't!
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I've got two T3 varmint rifles, .223 and 22-250. They are both tack drivers, and I think one of the best rifles for the money. My .204 Cooper is better looking and a nice rifle, but the Tikka's will shoot with the Cooper. I don't know of anyone who has a Tikka that won't shoot.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

That's good to here! I'm looking for a carry rifle that won't cost an arm and a leg but will still shoot well. I've narrowed my choices a bit to either a .270, .270 WSM or a 30-06. I'm still struggling on which to choose.

What versions do you guys have? I'm looking at the Hunter.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

tikka's are fine rifles, here in the uk they are very popular and always shoot great usually 1/2 moa with good loads, if youre looking a carry rifle the stainless synthetic model is great, the only thing I have heard bad about them is that some of the models stocks are a bit flimsy in the forend and there could be slight poi variations on/off a bipod though only some people have this problem. Could be very easily fixed with a bit of dowel and rough sandpaper.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Tikka T3s are very popular in Australia. Very accurate and relatively cheap next to Remingtons and Brownings. There have been a number of cases where the front sling stud has been ripped out of the T3 Lite synthetic stock (not the varmint stock).

I had the old model Tikka M55 (22-250) and M65 (270) ~15-17yrs ago, both were very accurate. However, nowadays for me,.... Remington all the way!
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
HogPopper

Re: Tikka T3 - Anyone shot one?

Post by HogPopper »

I picked one up this spring in the T3 Lite. It is a 22/250 and shoots quite well for a sporter weight pipe. I must be the only one that got a creepy trigger. It's OK but not fantastic. My favorite feature is the single stack clip. Reminds me of my old 788 Remington. I know it is plastic, but the thing just plain works. My least favorite feature is the recoil lug. I was horrified to find it was a piece of key stock. So far so good in the function department. It can't go anywhere once it is all together, but I have heard reports of it not assembling properly. I guess I would have to say Tikka makes one of the better values in a rifle these days. Savage has started to price themselves on the high side. Good shooters that they are, there are limits as to how much I will pay for an ugly rifle. Dollar for dollar, the Tikka is a fine shooting iron. I will likely buy another before too long.

Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

I have a T3 Lite in 25-06 as my back up whitetail gun. It is a shooter with a very smooth action and nice trigger. My opinion is that for the money (I paid around $570) it is the best bang for the buck.

I shoot factory loads and regularly group 1/2" at 100 yds.

TB
Doveryai no Proveryai
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

hogpopper, that groundhog looks as big as a beaver :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: It's HUGE! I'd hate to run a tractor tire in HIS hole!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

Just bought a Tikka T3 for the most part because of their reputation for decent accuracy. The rifle is chambered in 270 WSM topped off with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 set in Warne rings and replaced the factory butt pad with a Simms. I shot at 100 yards and the rifle does not shoot well at all with a benchrest hold and with a firm hold off of front rest and rear bag it doesnt break the 1" mark. I checked the mounts and they are good and secure, so I have to try and change scopes and look into the bedding. Something is wrong with this one. The ammo used was Federal 130gr Barnes TBX Premuiums. I am telling you, I dont know where this thing is going to shoot when I pull the trigger :x

Here are the last four 3 shot groups before I hung it up for the day, and yes it was allowed to cool and was cleaned every 6 shots.

Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

If a rifle likes Barnes, it will shoot acceptably well. If it doesn't like Barnes, it won't shoot well with them, and a LOT of rifles don't like the Barnes bullets. I have a Savage .25/06 that shoots nearly anything well, but gags on Barnes bullets. I'd try another load before giving up on the Tikka, try something, anything, that ISN'T a Barnes, and see how it does. Always try the easiest and cheapest stuff first (my motto!!) it might be a simple fix of switching ammo.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

doubleA clean the barrel real good use a brush then change ammo, try Hornady ammo maybe. You got to remember that hunting ammo is loaded hot and won't necessarily get you 1/2 inch groups its big game ammo. Its made to get you good kill performance. The groups don't look that bad for a new rifle off the shelf. If you don't reload you will have to try different ammo. Clean the barrel after every few shoots those large rounds foul a barrel quick. I've reload Barnes bullets and have found the I get better groups with Hornady's but you buy Barnes for there performance on game. The groups I got didn't look much better than yours. I am sure with a little effort that rifle will shoot to your satisfaction. Hows the trigger feel?