montana extreme 50 bmg? Strong stuff? Jag reaction?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
craigyboy

montana extreme 50 bmg? Strong stuff? Jag reaction?

Post by craigyboy »

I decided after alot of rounds this week I would clean the bore with some montana extreme 50bmg. I usually just use wipeout but I was thinking there could be a lot of cooper. I thought at first I had tonnes of cooper and wipeout hadnt been doing the job as the blue just kept coming but I think it just must have been a reaction from the brass jag and brush, I was using a nylon brush but its still brass cored so probably gave a reaction too, all I know as soon as I put the 50bmg on the brush the core in the brush turned black straight away, after heavy brushing the first patch would be pure blue but if you put maybe 3 dry patches after brushing the blue would be gone, does this sound like a recation? I know this stuff is very strong as the smell would knock you out, so am thinking its just stripping the brass jag and brush core real fast, my bore was probably clean long before I stopped cleaning but i kept going because I was getting blue readings. Also does anyone get brass reaction from wipeout, I done the bore with wipeout after and got a few flashes of blue on 2 patches (just slight) and I dont think that the 50bmg would leave much for wipeout. Any input or help much appreciated
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I use nylon brushes with the 50BMG, and haven't had any reactions with it, also, my jag is brass, but haven't had any reactions with IT, either (didn't expect any reaction with a nylon brush, though).
I've never used Wipe-Out, but the .50BMG has worked extremely well for me. It IS stout smelling, but it works.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!