Savage 116 barrel question

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Savage 116 barrel question

Post by gwglave »

I have a Savage 116 SS Fluted barrel with factory muzzle brake in .243 Win. Anyone know how to remove the muzzle brake??
Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Savage 116 barrel question

Post by Hotshot »

Torch or a hacksaw would work for sure.
Otherwise if you're serious about removing you need to find out if it is silver solder or threaded with lock tight on it. Ask a gun smith. Why don't you just turn it off?
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Hotshot, thanks for the reply.
I have already talked to my local gunsmith. He has never worked on one before, so he wasn't sure how to disassemble/remove the muzzle brake.

A little background is probably in order to clarify the issue. I bought the barrel from a guy on EBay some time ago as a new, take-off barrel. As it stands now, I'm not sure that was the case. I installed the barrel on an older Savage 110 which was already a .243 Win. After trying many different loads and bullets, I have not been able to make the barrel shoot nearly as good as the original barrel. Groups are very inconsistent and POI often shifts 2 - 4 inches in any 5 shot group. From my limited view down the muzzle, it appears there may be some burrs on the end of the barrel where the muzzle brake attaches. I was hoping I could easily remove the brake, clean things up and then re-attach the brake.

As for turning it off or on, the brake rotates easily and does significantly reduce muzzle jump.
It may be that I just suck it up and write the barrel off as a lesson learned on buying barrrels from people you don't know.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Ask another gun smith. I don't believe the mussel brake should rotate. If any thing have the barrel cut down. But any smith that can cut a barrel down should be able to tell you about a mussel brake or install one. Don't give up yet. I just had a barrel cut down for $60 dollars on a Ruger rifle he was going to charge me $50 but it took so much effort to get the barrel off that he charged me an extra $10 dollars. Hunt around for a smith I am sure some one will have an answer and it won't cost that much to fix.