Replacement rifle stock help ? any opinoin or suggetion ?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Replacement rifle stock help ? any opinoin or suggetion ?

Post by cshooter »

I have a Ruger MK II standard barrel and have a wood factory stock . My gun seems to like a little forward pressure on the skinny barrel so after I free floated it and the groups got worse, I put a little cardboard shim under the forend against the barrel and the gun shoots fairly accurately and consistant now. Or until I hold the forend of the stock too tightly. Then the groups move around, until I let go of the front of the stock. I think I should have the stock bedded. But I was looking at some replacement stocks and would like to maybe get a camo pattern. I read where Hogue guarrentees best accuaracy and warping resistance with their strong alluminum block bedded stocks. And the hardwoods pattern is'nt bad either. Of course, I don't know if i could get my wife to go for the price of the full block modle, but the standard pillar bedded modles are cheaper and I might be able to get one of those. Anybody know anything about them as far as feel, weight, streingth, improved accuracy, ect. ? Do I really need the expensive full block modle or will the standard modle fix me up ? Also I have a Timney trigger in the rifle, is there going to be a problem getting the action to fit ? Any opinoins or prior experience would be helpfull. Thanks
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Replacement rifle stock help ? any opinoin or suggetion ?

Post by Hotshot »

I've put three Rugers in Hogue stocks over the years and I like 'em. They really feel good in my hands in any weather, any temperature. I only have experience with the pillar model, and the action dropped right in with a timney trigger. I don't know if the stock specifically helped accuracy but it sure did nothing to hurt it.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

A good glassbed job in an economical Bell and Carlson would do just as well, but it's slightly more work than just turning the screws :D . Also, with just about any aftermarket stock, except perhaps the Ramline stocks, which I think are horrible. Even doing a good bedding job on your factory stock would probably make a new rifle out of it. It's up to your own budget, of course. I've used B&C stocks for years and years now, and I'm pretty happy with them, but I can see the appeal of pillar bedding, but it's not a cure-all, either, it just makes it somewhat easier.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

The B&C Medalist also has a machined aluminum bedding block. Same one found on some of the Weatherby rifles. I like them so much I've changed out several Vanguards. :D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Glen - Do you think if I put a B & C stock alone on my Ruger MK II it would help the accuracy or would I have to bed it anyways ? Thanks
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

No matter which stock you use, you probably should bed it. The Medalist series Ahab mentioned wouldn't necessarily NEED it, but it doubtless wouldn't hurt. That includes the HS Precision stocks, too.. Bedding isn't a horrible chore, Brownell's Acraglass gel instructions are very thorough and helpful. You probably have the minimal tools needed in the kitchen drawer.
If you didn't want to tackle it yourself, most smiths charge less than $50 to do it, but it's not hard.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!