AR-15 Platform Question

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

AR-15 Platform Question

Post by Squatting Wolf »

The internet is going to be the death to my bank account. I was doing some searching on the internet and started reading about the AR-15's. I have always been interested in one but now that you can get one chambered in .204, I've really become interested.

It seems like there is a ton of choices out there from building one from scratch to buying a complete rifle from numerous manufacturers, however I think I've settled on a Les Baer Super Varmint model (my pocket book hates my spendy tastes).

The decision I have left to make is do I get one chambered in .204 or in .223. Basically I'll be using it at the range, shooting prairie rats and a little bit of coyote hunting.

I love the .204 and am already set up to reload but wasn't sure if there were any reasons why I should consider the .223 (besides the fact that I could pick up ammo cheaper than .204 if I didn't reload). Currently I have nothing chambered in .223 so it would be a opportunity to expand on my caliber selection.

Let me know your opinions and experiences! I'm not sure when I'll be able to pull the trigger on one, I recently got engaged and within a couple days I purchased a S&W 686 plus which I am picking up this weekend!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: AR-15 Platform Question

Post by Captqc »

.204, You will be happy all of the rest of your days instead of saying "I wish I had" :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SWolf: Yep, we've all spent more because of the "handy" internet and all the choices it brings right into our homes.

On your caliber quandry: I've got five 223's, and one 204. I'm in the process of building up yet another varmint rifle, and it WILL be another 204 versus another 223. Why? Well, the 204 shoots flatter, maybe a tad more accurate all things being equal, and has less wind deflection at all the ranges I shoot varmints. I seldom shoot paper except during load workup and sight-in, so I want field performance, and the 204 delivers.

It is true you can get cheap 223 ammo, but if you were out in the PD or squirrel patch with both calibers, you'd notice a distinct difference in the drop of a 223 over the 204. I've gone from one of my 223's, even my 223 Improved to the 204, and as soon as I start popping rodents with my 204 I have a tendency to shoot over them, as no where near the same elevation correction needs to be applied to the 204.

The 204 may be a bit more expensive to shoot, but when you consider how many days we get in the field per year, and all the anticipation involved before we get there, don't you feel the wee bit of expense that the better performing round delivers is justified?

I've had many AR's and M16's in the past, both semi and select-fire, and if I were to go with another AR-based platform now, I'd not give it another thought.....it would be a 204. .....but that's just me. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Two votes so far for the .204 (as expected :D ).

Rick - As usual, thanks for you comments on the performance of the .204 versus the .223. I haven't had any experience yet with the .204 in the field, I've only shot paper, milk jugs and used shotgun shells so far...however in May, that will change (as I am going on my 1st PD hunt, hopefully the guys won't back out on me this time).

I'm not that worried about the slight difference in cost since I'm already set up to reload the .204 and why shoot factory rounds when you can have fun making your own?!? And like you said, for as little as most of us get out to the field, why not have a better performing round. I guess if I wanted to save some money, I should look into something different than the Les Baer!
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

Go for the .204 first. Then when you want the .223, you buy a .223 upper. Then when you want a 6.8 SPC, you buy a 6.8 SPC upper. The when you want a 6.5 Grendel, you buy a 6.5 Grendel upper. They all use the same lower. The .223 and .204 use the same magazines. The 6.8 and 6.5 use a different magazine. I am working on my 4th caliber AR now. They are very versatile and can be very accurate.
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Due to the interchangability of uppers, I have to go for the .204 as well.

I have 4.5 ARs, only one is in .204 and I will shoot it more than the others, just because I enjoy it so much. I also have a .204 Savage that is my preferred Coyote rifle.

I save my .223s for action competition shoots due to the ammo availability, but those are generally short range (35-200yd) events and very rarely to I get to recover any brass.

When I go for the PDs, the .204 outshines the .223 every time.
AR
Factory/Factory
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Only reason I can come up with for choosing the .223 is if you were shooting NRA Highpower competition.

Otherwise - the .204 is one sweet little cartridge! I've never shot an AR-15 in .204 - that might be a real neat setup...
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I've been able to find complete guns from Les Baer and from DPMS. Does anyone know if Rock River, Bushmaster or anyone else makes an AR in .204? The other one that comes to mind is Remington's new one.

Has anyone had any experiences with DPMS? I think I've settles on a Les Baer but a buddy of mine is also looking to pick up an AR in .204 as well.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I have a DPMS, she's sweet. Her pet load prints in the low three's.

Coyotes fear her :D

Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

That is one sweet looking rifle you have there and it looks like it punches small groups as well!

I have a buddy talked into get an AR as well so at some point this winter/spring, I think we'll be ordering a couple.
AirCorps
.204 Ruger Guns: Accuracy Systems Custom AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by AirCorps »

Hi Guys. New to the forum and really happy to find an online .204 community. I live in New Zealand and had Accuracy Systems ( now in Colorado ) build me a custom AR-15 in .204.

Carl is the guy in charge there ,is really easy to talk to and will make sure you get exactly the rifle you want. Can't speak highly enough of him. Because of restrictions down here I had to have it with a thumbhole stock and 7 round mag but it shoots like a dream! First AR I have ever owned and first .204. Awesome calibre and for the shooting I do far superior to my .223.

It will shoot 40gr Hornady factory ammunition just fine. Smallest group so far is 5mm center to center 3 shots @ 100 yds. Which is nice when you havn't got the time to run up hand loads.

Couple of pictures of succesfully exploded targets from this years boxing day shoot.

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I'm a fan of DPMS for factory ARs, but I'm also learning the difference between 'factory' and 'custom'.

IMHO, the difference, if any, in cost is well worth it.

My .204 upper was built several years ago by Randall Rausch of AR15barrels.com and this year I had a .223 'slow twist' (1/14) upper built by Mike Milli of Dedicated Technologies.

Both of these uppers will produce some really scary accuracy when compared to the factory grades. Both are free floated and have 'Match Grade' bull barrels. The .204 has a Douglas XX Stainless and the .223 has an Oly SUM..

I don't know what actual prices on either are running right now, but at the time I had my builds done (DPMS wasn't making the .204 then), the difference in free floated uppers between custom and quality factory uppers was about $35-50....

For that money, the customs beat out factory hands down.
AR
Factory/Factory