.308 out of box ACCURACY

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

.308 out of box ACCURACY

Post by dannybracy »

Hey guys, looking for a little info. I think I might be needing a .308 so I can reach out a little farther on the windy days. I was thinking about getting my first Remington rifle (have a .204 LRPV, a .204 Savage 12, and a .223 AR) and I was looking at the new Rem. 700 VTR and a Rem. Light Tactical Rifle. Was wondering which would have the better potential to be a shooter say in the 600 yd+ range. I am new to precision rifle shooting and am going on my 2nd PD hunt in june and I think that I want to move into a little larger caliber. I know the LTR has a alum bed block and a better stock, but the new VTR with the triangular barrel would be a little cheaper and I would replace the stock right away. I just read the article in Shooting Times mag. on the VTR and the author shot a .41" group in 25-45mph winds w/ a .223. I don't know how you could go wrong there. Was just wondering what you guys think about either Rem. in the .308 b/c I was looking around on the Snipershide.com and they didn't have very many kind words on the VTR. Thanks guys!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Guy M

Re: .308 out of box ACCURACY

Post by Guy M »

Danny, since you've already got a couple of Savage rifles - consider the relatively new Savage F/TR in .308 Win:

This thing offers match-winning accuracy right out of the box. A shooting buddy of mine, Monte Milanuk, took one to Raton for the F-class nationals last year and placed SECOND against competitors using all sorts of different custom rifles. The Savage is one factory .308 you can count on for performance.

That said, my two precision .308's are a Winchester 70 and a Remington 700. Been a long while since either of them was in a factory stock, or had a Remington factory barrel though. The Remington started life as a 700 VS, about 12 - 14 years ago as I recall, and was always a pretty accurate rifle. Time to time I would get 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it - but generally it was more along the lines of a 3/4 MOA rifle. Good enough to do well in some smaller matches, and actually made an impression at some bigger matches too as I recall.

Much as I like my .308's though - there are better cartridge choices for long-range varminting. Consider the .243 Win, .260 Rem, and even the 6.5-284, which is avail in factory form from.... You got it: Savage!

Another one of their match-ready bolt guns - this one in 6.5-284, which can be a real scorcher loaded right.

Any of those cartridges, the .243, .260 and the 6.5-284 will shoot better than the .308 at range because they have significantly less wind drift. I compete using a .308 for a variety of reasons, but am always shooting against guys shooting cartridges that buck the wind better.

I dunno what's up with that new triangular shaped barrel from Remington. I guess it must work okay - but if it was really the hot ticket, I think the guys running custom rifles and winning matches would have been running triangular barrels a long time ago. I'll keep mine round thank you!

Regards, Guy
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Guy much appreciated!!!!! Kinda funny...i just fondled a new Savage F/TR today. I liked it very much! But my only drawback is weight b/c of the 30" barrel. I also looked at the new Rem. XCR Tactical Long Range today. Kind of a sexy rifle also! I appreciated it very much and when I make a decision I think(if it would be okay) I would like to chat with you a little more and pick your brain about a few more questions. Thanks! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

dannybracy wrote:Guy much appreciated!!!!! Kinda funny...i just fondled a new Savage F/TR today. I liked it very much! But my only drawback is weight b/c of the 30" barrel. I also looked at the new Rem. XCR Tactical Long Range today. Kind of a sexy rifle also! I appreciated it very much and when I make a decision I think(if it would be okay) I would like to chat with you a little more and pick your brain about a few more questions. Thanks! -Dan
It's a Savage, not much of a problem to get a couple inches removed...
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Sure - shoot me a question anytime. I don't keep up with the latest & greatest rifles from the big manufacturers very well, but Savage sure has impressed me with the quality/accuracy of their rifles over the past few years.

I shoot primarily Remington & Winchester bolt guns - but if I was starting over in the precision/long-range game, I'd likely be shooting a Savage.

Regards, Guy
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

Here are a couple other choices that are good to go right out of the box. The FN SPR A1 with Mc Millan A3 stock and the Sako TRG 22/42 series. The top is a FN 308 Win while the lower TRG is chambered in 338 Lapua. I just ordered a 22 in 308 Win and cant wait till I get to give it a test run. If it's anything like it's bigger brother, I'll be a happy camper.

Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA