6mm Remington....

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

6mm Remington....

Post by Ray P »

I would like to put out a feeler and "best twist" I could put on this caliber. Is this caliber bullet weight specific?? :chin: I'm mainly looking a Bergers 80, 88, and 105 VLD"s and maybe Hornady V-Max's. The boxes of Berger 105's recommend 1 in 8 twist? Whats the down side of shooting 80 grn with a twist that fast? :huh: So many choices?? :wall: I have a 100 pieces of 7 X 57 norma I necked down I like to use for this caliber. 243 Win might be easier but I 'd like to stay with 6mm Remington.
Thanks for any help.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 6mm Remington....

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: My .243 Ackley has a 10 twist, and it shoots Nosler 70's (my primary bullet) very well, as well as 95's and 100's. Have never tried a 105 grain bullet, and I'd guess that Berger is suggesting the 8 twist for that bullet and that bullet only to ensure complete stabilization at all velocities, and so it will stay supersonic at extended ranges.

You really can't over stabilize a bullet, but some of the lighter bullets may not fare well with their thin jackets using the 8 twist. I'm sure someone else can add more, but that's my experience so far with my 6mm.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Rick.........A big thanks on the reply. Yep I hear ya on the 10 twist. I was thinking about the splitting the differance and go with a 9 twist?? Choices we have to make!! This will be the only barrel I put on this rifle. I've looked at Hart barrels web site and the they have twists from 6 to 16 in 243 cal. They are a lot bullet choices and powder choices for this cliber the more I read. I sometimes think I read to much into a caliber??
Thanks again and may you have safe and blessed Memorial Day.
Thank you and all your commrads for letting us fly our Flags proud and free this day and always!
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Go with the 8 twist.

The lighter bullets will still float in the 8 twist barrel.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: While crusing the forum, I came across this post from today about another fellow shooting a 6mm (.243 Win) using the heavier bullets, and makes reference to the lighter slugs and twist rate. I thought you may find it interesting.

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... =18&t=5066
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ray P

Post by Ray P »

acloco........Got my Hart barrel! It has a heavy sendero contour. 1.250 at breach and finishes at .925 at the muzzle. I ordered a 30" / 8 twist for the 6mm remington. My reamer is made off fired round with .003 over on a loaded neck. Min throat specs for a 105 berger. I hope to use H4350/ H 4831 or R19 are my powders of choice. I also picked up a a box of 500 /107 grn sierras.
Later and update when testing is done.
Ray P :wink:
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I am still testing. Probably 40-50 rounds to go. RL19 might just be THE powder to go to with my 22/6mm AI. Speed AND accuracy.....3850+ with 69 gr HPBT's and 3820+ with 75 gr AMax.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

acloco.......Thanks for your post. Thanks for the update on R-19.
My smith has my barrel and reamer. He asked for another pilot to better fit the barrel, we use floating pilots on all our reamer. So it shouldn't be long now. I happy R-19 is working well for you. Just watch lot to lot reliabilty with reloader powders. We've had some scarey results.
Later and thank you.
Ray P
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Well finally got my 6mm Rem and works real good with 107 Sierra's with Hodgen Hyb 100V. 43.0 gets me 3180 out of my 30" 1-8 Hart barrel. Went up on our mountain and streached her legs to 950 yards. 20.5 inches hi put her right on............very impressed for this little cal.
Later
Ray P
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

20.5 INCHES high? Wow I gotta get me one o' them :lol: Good luck with your rifle.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Verminator2.............Yep :eek: ..........I was re-checking it this morning before I posted. My one one program said 22" up from my 100 yard zero and was over shooting........dialed her down and bingo! Yep my friend was impressed to say the least. Our elevation was 1938 ft off our gps. I has figured my velocity to be 3100 to 3125 with out clocking. We pulled the chrony out..........and it suprised me.......Hyb-100v was running at 3180 and H4350/43.0/107 Sierra MK was running at 3148. I think I have a keeper! Will see how the throat holds up. All the articales I read say the long neck of the 6mm Rem is a benfit, so will see.
Thanks and later
Ray P
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Oh at 100 yards :lol: I think the .243 AI I just got is running at about 19.5-21 at 4200ft elevation depending on conditions. Post pics of it later.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Update :eek: ............Some very good results with the 6mm remington. A load of 46.0/ H-4831/ 107 sierra. We put up at target at 650 yards and I shot 3 seperate groups. The first 2 groups were just uder 1/2 moa and the last group made it to a 1/4 moa. My friend was very impressed and now he wants to borrow the reamer and build one.
Yep gota love it when a plan comes together.
Later
Ray P
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Outstanding!

Dad gave me a little 6mm Remington back in 1974, just a sporter-weight 22" barreled Rem 700 BDL. Mostly I used it for varmint shooting. A few years ago my son started using it for everything from rockchucks to mule deer, happily and with great success. Ours certainly isn't the specialized piece of gear that yours is, but I've developed a great respect for the little cartridge over all these years of shooting and hunting with it.

I actually can't think of anything it's ever hit that got away, from ground squirrels to mule deer. Nor of anything that needed a second shot.

Congrats on your rifle - seems like a real winner!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Guy!! Yep from the help from the members on this site. I never owned a 6mm, not even in a 243 winchester. I pulled out some of my dad's old reloading books and manuals and started researching the 6mm remington. When one comes together like this one, or an orginal thats handed down thru family members, you can't seam to part with IT! Now all I have to do is get a deer with it this year. Thanks again and glad to here your 6mm rem is doing it's job!
Later
Ray P