Need a new rifle

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Need a new rifle

Post by sniper model 12 »

Okay fellas. Looking for a 25.06 (maybe .243) heavy barrel for coyote to deer. Average shots to be taken from 100 to 400 yds in all sorts of weather. Will be matched with a Nikon or Leupy 6-18x40's. Bullets will range from light loads (coyote) to heavier loads (deer) all factory ammo (haven't got the time to reload. . . unfortunately). Needs a trigger with a 1.5-2.5 lb pull.

What is a good manufacturer to go with, and a good model? I prefer Savage, but locally can't find a model with a heavy barrel.

Any recommendations would be great!
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
cynergyguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Re: Need a new rifle

Post by cynergyguy »

Get on the Savage shooters forum and look at Northlander Shooters supply they are an advertiser there and has a few new model 12 vlp in 25-06 at a very good price mid 600.00 range if I remember right, I believe savage has dicontinued that caliber in the mod 12 vlp but Jim has them and will ship to your ffl.
cynergyguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by cynergyguy »

Update I looked on the savage forum and there are 4 of these rifles available for 645.00 all new and unfired, also he has the 243 for 665.00 .I believe these guns fit the requirements you need.
sniper model 12

Yep. They'll do for what I'm looking for. I too had looked again at the Savage main website few minutes ago and found the .243 in the same make and model as my .204. I like that consistency.. . .but I don't like the stock. I've been looking a Bell and Carlson for the 204, but the 243 may get the upgrade.

From what I'm seeing with the 25-06 vs the 243, the smaller calibre gets the job done with a wider bullet selection. The 25-06 locally is limited to 4 manufacturers and 3 grain weights.

With the answer already in mind, I still must ask the question: What are the main drawbacks to the 243 over the 25-06? Lighter grain weights are what would be shot most.

Thanks for your help. I'll chk the Savage forum.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

None.

Highest quality brass available, excellent selection of bullet composition and weight from low to high, less recoil, and very good ballistics.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Why do you need a heavy barrel for 400 yard shots on deer or coyotes? Not necessary for accuracy, unless you're planning on long strings of fire.

This .25-06 Rem 700 with a fixed 6x Leupold does a bang-up job on coyotes and deer. Even 400 - 500 yards has not been a problem, and it is a factory rifle. All I did was a trigger job, and install a good scope, then worked up some nice loads. Last season I ran the 115 Berger VLD at about 3200 fps. Have also had great results from the Barnes 100 gr TSX at 3340 fps. It's a great mule deer bullet, but a little stout for coyotes. I like something that expands more readily for 'yotes.

The 6mm Rem or .243 aren't bad choices at all either. Mule deer at 300 yards drop like a rock when hit through the lungs with a little 95 gr Nosler Ballistic tip... I've been using the 6mm Rem since 1974 with no complaints. The .25-06 does have a power advantage. Either one is easy to shoot and has good accuracy potential.

Pay your money and take your chances. Regards, Guy
sniper model 12

Sweet pics! :eek:

Got lookin' a Rock River site. Got shocked when the drool hit the keyboard.

Maybe I otta get a rig in both calibers.. . . :chin: something like a Thompson Center with swappable barrels. . . . :idea: Then I could shoot a 243 or a 25-06 depending on my mood and location of shooting!

again, awesome pics Guy M :D

heavy barrel is not a requirement, but rat ragging is on the list of summer projects. . . not required, but prefered.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Personally, I would tend to go with the .243 since I may find myself to be in a position where I would have to depend on obtaining ammunition in a store, rather than reloading and I think it's a more common 'stock' item than the 25-06.

I'm just one of those guys that tries to follow my old Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared"

If the total intention was for "Big Game" or really long shots then the 25-06 would get the nod. I just think the .243 offers a little more versatility.. :roll:
AR
Factory/Factory
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have a Ruger #1 25-06 with elite 3x9x50 deer gun. First day hunting shot a coyote from deer stand 110 yards. Killed deer 2nd day 90 yards.
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

First I would agree with others that 25-06 is harder to find ammo.
I load 58 Hornady V Max in my 243 700 Rem and it shoots pretty flat to 300 yds and deer drop like they was stuck by lightning.
Another plus is all the bullets for 6mm-243 should you reload .
I will vote 243 :party1:
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Another vote for the 243. Good performance with less recoil and your not giving up that much performance. Check out the Savage 11BTH. I just got one in a 204 and love the accuracy and the fit.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

The Weatherby Vanguard is available in both 243 and 25-06, and if you wish to pay for this option, you can get the Sub MOA version, guaranteed to shoot under one inch. However, I do not believe these are heavy barrels.

The Tikka T3 Lite Stainless is available in 243, but it is not a heavy barrel.

The Remington 700 SPS Varmint is a heavy barrel, and is available in 243. The new ones have the X-Mark Pro trigger.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
JD

Post by JD »

My TC encore in 25-06 will will easily shoot 1 moa and it did it with every weight bullet I tried: 85- 115 grain factory loads. With handloads it clovered at 200 yrds, I was pleasantly surprised and the guy next to me at the range with his tactical remmy looked a little jealous. :wink:

I actuallly bought it for Muzzel loader season and the 25-06 barrel was just a bonus.

Can't go wrong with either 243 or 25-06 but the slight power advantage of the 25-06 helps knock down some of the larger whitetails.
Marlin 1895 .45-70
Ruger All-Weather Ultra Light .338 Win. Mag
Savage 112 Tac./Tar. .300 win mag.
Steyr Pro Hunter .280 Rem.
TC Encore 50 cal. ML and 25-06
Remington XR-100 .204 Ruger
BRNO 22E .22LR
Marlin 39A Takedown .22LR
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Have a couple of heavy barrel savages and wanted something lighter for a "carry rifle" for yotes. Ended up buying a 243 in a camoed, stainless T3-light. I find it is nicely balanced and much more pleasant to carry in the field as compared with the heavy barrels. Looking for the same rifle now in a 204.

Here's a pic of my 243 T3-lite

Savage Vaporizer
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

FWIW, I nominate Remington Sendero 25-06. 8)
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.