AR 15 trigger

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
xdguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Thumbhole

AR 15 trigger

Post by xdguy »

Any suggestions on a good AR trigger? I know midway is out of stock on most of theirs, any other places to check? also what kinda poundage would you suggest, i am thinkin 2-3.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: AR 15 trigger

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have a two stage Jewell trigger on my AR and love it. The first stage pull will adjust from 1 to 3 1/2 pounds. The second stage range is from a few ounces to 3 1/2 pounds. You need to add up the two stages to get a TOTAL pull weight.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I have Jewell's in mine that I picked up about 10 years ago (it seems) and they have worked well for me. However, several years ago an outfit called "Giselle" came out with one and it seems the folks in the highpower world really prefer them. They're pricey.

HTH
xdguy

Post by xdguy »

what do you guys think of Jard? and what kinda trigger pull would be decent. it is many going to be used for yotes anf foxes.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Never tried them. One thing to remember, in the target shooting world, lock-time is important and I believe thats one of the reasons the Giselle gets the nod. Another being Jewells have a reputation of not holding their trigger weight day in-and-day out (although I've never experienced that issue) which again, is detrimental in the competition world.

Jim
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

If the rifle is primarily for hunting, I'd look at one of the 'drop in' units from Chip McCormick or Timiney....I have a Chip Mc in one of mine and find it very dependable.

I have a 2-stage Rock River match in another and find that it is just stiff enough for using gloves in cold weather without having to worry about accidental discharges while in the field. This is the same rifle that I use in action competitions and it's very consistent..
AR
Factory/Factory
Apothideus
.204 Ruger Guns: AR build with JP Barrel

Post by Apothideus »

Stay away from Jard! Too hard to adjust properly (if you get the adjustable...). Compared to my CMMG, Chip McC and RRA triggers, the Jard doesn't even come close to making the cut; it does, however, have a very lean 2.0 lb. pull (gritty and creepy, though).
Check PK Firearms, they only list what they have in stock. I would try the RRA Two Stage over the CMMG, but both are fine for us regular guys punching paper and p-dogging, or your case, small dogs.
The CMC is 3 3/4 lbs. (advertised as 3.5...) and I can notice a little bit of creep when I am in the zone. I have not been able to detect creep in the RRA.
IF PK doesn't have the RRA or CMMG, try Brownell's or a Google search.
PK is currently out of RRA and CMMG... keep checking their site, tough.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

I have just installed two JP triggers with their speed hammer. The first went well and is an excellent trigger. However, they are a bugger to install and get adjusted correctly. It takes some time and work!

I have to question JP's quality control because the hammer that came with the second one had not been ground and polished where it contacts the sear like the first one had been. I could not get a nice smooth pull, it was always just a little gritty. I finally used the stock hammer (as it had a smoother surface) and the trigger is now excellent.

I am waiting for a Timney drop-in trigger that I have high expectations for. It is only about $10 more than the JP kits that I got! I will let you know how it goes when it comes in.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
xdguy

Post by xdguy »

well my buddy has a RRA 2 stage he is willing to sell me for 60. you think that is a fair price? and also whats everyones thoughts on them?
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

xdguy wrote:well my buddy has a RRA 2 stage he is willing to sell me for 60. you think that is a fair price? and also whats everyones thoughts on them?
To me, it all depends on what you're using the weapon for? If it's for ground squirrel hunting then they're probably OK. If it hasn't been worked it may have some creep. Be careful working on AR triggers because if RRA is like the old Armalites the hardening is only good for the a few thousands. Below that the metal is soft and the chance for failure is likely.

If it's for target shooting, I'd go with a Giselle or a Jewell although others favor the less expensive one. At the end of the day it's what "you" like.

If possible, put the trigger (RRA) in "your" lower and then check for proper function, feel and so on...

HTH

Jim