Has anybody tried this?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Has anybody tried this?

Post by Hotshot »

In an issue of Varmint Hunter Mag. this past year(I don't remember which one) a writer made his XP100 into a switch barrel, and it performed wonderfully. He wrote that he had also done this on Remington rifles very successfully. He also made a statement concerning using factory barrels that was interesting. I don't have the issue with that story to quote, but the writer claimed to have swapped factory barrels without having to adjust headspace in most cases. Has anybody done this? I'm looking for advice from experience. My son-in-law swaps Savage barrels and has all the tools. Why couldn't I use the barrel vise and action wrench to switch Remington barrels as well? I would check headspace before firing.
Guy M

Re: Has anybody tried this?

Post by Guy M »

I know BR competitors who often switch out the barrels on their Rem 700 based rifles. The guys I know all seem to have the recoil lug pinned in place. Once their barrels are chambered and set up for it, they actually twist them on by hand, and "seat" them in place with a snap of the wrist.

Used to have a Win Model 70 set up as a match rifle for NRA highpower competition. Had several barrels for it, all threaded & chambered. I'd use a vise & wrench to swap barrels from time to time. It really wasn't any big deal. Checked the headspace carefully.

It's a fairly common thing in some circles, and yes it can be done.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Same same....regardless of manufacture.

Be careful on the headspace though, they are not all the same.

The 6.5x55 AI that I built on a Savage single shot long action is "nutless", because I was not going to turn the blank outside diameter that much - defeats the purpose of buying the big barrel. Same with the other 6.5x55 AI and 338 RUM that I built for my shooting buddy.

Now, the other Savages that I own, are all of the "nutted" variety. :)
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I didn't think about the recoil lug(already pinned on a Savage) that is a good point.

acloco, I'm glad to hear that you have both male and female Savages. I suppose soon you will have a bunch of rimfires and sub calibers running around your place.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Guy M wrote:I know BR competitors who often switch out the barrels on their Rem 700 based rifles. The guys I know all seem to have the recoil lug pinned in place. Once their barrels are chambered and set up for it, they actually twist them on by hand, and "seat" them in place with a snap of the wrist.

Used to have a Win Model 70 set up as a match rifle for NRA highpower competition. Had several barrels for it, all threaded & chambered. I'd use a vise & wrench to swap barrels from time to time. It really wasn't any big deal. Checked the headspace carefully.

It's a fairly common thing in some circles, and yes it can be done.
I have a good friend who does this same thing but its with a Winchester Model 70. I don't recollect the gunsmith who did the work but IIRC he builds benchrest rifles and he's in the Centralia/Chehalis WA area. The rifle builder puts an index mark on each of the barrels/action and when he swaps them out he just lines them up and usually within a very few shots he's sighted back in. In years gone by I've seen him shooting 1000 yards with it (in 220 Swift flavor) at Ft Lewis and it was a hammer.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Hotshot wrote:I didn't think about the recoil lug(already pinned on a Savage) that is a good point.

acloco, I'm glad to hear that you have both male and female Savages. I suppose soon you will have a bunch of rimfires and sub calibers running around your place.

LOL! Hottyshotty - u r funny. I am still laughing.

223 AI, 22/6mm AI, or 6.5x55 AI count? (fraternal triplets!!!)
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Acloco..............223 AI, 22/6mm AI, or 6.5x55 AI count? (fraternal triplets!!!) :mrgreen:
I like that!! Sure hope all your irons sre shooting well. Thanks for you input on my 6mm Remmy, it's doing real well with 107 sierra's.
Wish I could get out your way to streach it's leggs on some long range P.dogs.
Enjoy the holiday and be safe.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
acloco

Post by acloco »

Ray P - back at you and yours as well.

I truly wish there were more places to shoot PD's, pickin's around here are VERY slim.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Precision Shooter had a good article on a Remington switch barrel in the March 09 issue.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition