Bedding a Howa rifle??

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Bedding a Howa rifle??

Post by surfclod »

I know "futuretrades" runs a couple Howa rifles and am wondering if anyone else is familiar with the rifles and can give me tips on bedding a Howa rifle.

I plan to do a bedding job on a Smith & Wesson model 1500 in the near future. From what I understand this is a Howa rifle just like the Weatherby Vanguard or the Mossberg 1500 and is a pretty decent rifle. Made in Japan and are quite popular in Australia.

The last time I shot it accuracy was pretty poor (+6" @ 100 yards) but I place a lot of blame on optics as that scope was tried on another rifle and it proceeded to make groups larger than the open sights did. I have a new Leopuld scope to put on it but I also plan to free float the barrel and bed the action.

What I am asking is "Are there any tips on bedding a Howa rifle"

Last spring I bedded a Savage action and it turned out real well, (virtually no uncalled fliers anymore). The Savage, unlike the Remington, has the tang free floating, whereas a Remington action, from what I read should be bedded right to the end of the tang.

Should a Howa be treated like a Remington or does it have a few quircks of its own??
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Bedding a Howa rifle??

Post by acloco »

Let the tang float on Remingtons as well. I stop the bedding at the front of the cutout for the bolt handle.

Howa's are a little more involved to bed...just because of the recoil lug and box....you won't have any problems.

I use carnuba car wax for release agent with marine tex or devcon. Works VERY well.