300 yard, 4-position Ruger

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Guy M

300 yard, 4-position Ruger

Post by Guy M »

Been out at the 300 yard line quite a bit lately, banging steel gongs from prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. Am doing better with the precision .308 Win, but the .375 H&H Ruger has been a LOT more fun! :D A 300 gr SPBT launched at 2600 fps really whacks those gongs!

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: 300 yard, 4-position Ruger

Post by acloco »

Nice looking fire/boom stick you have.

Hows the recoil?

Cost per round to shoot?
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Post by Buglemintoday »

Nice looking range and nice #1! I use to have a 458 win mag and loved shooting metal with it :wink:
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

The .375 surprised me with what I consider pretty mild recoil. My typical loads approximate factory power levels, roughly 4,000 - 4,500 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Might be the way the stock fits me, or the nice recoil pad, but it really feels more like a big push rather than a hard smack. I even shoot it from prone, where there is no way to give with the recoil - and it's just not bad. This is from a guy who had shoulder surgery just a couple of years ago. Not that I want to send 50 or 100 rounds downrange at a time - that's for my .308 or my .22 rimfire - but it's really not bad and I've sent 20-40 or so downrange in a single session. It's actually a lot of fun to shoot. Sometimes I have to make myself leave it behind, so I'll do more shooting with the .308 & .22's which are my bread & butter rifles.

Cost? Well, it goes through about 75 - 80 grains of H4350 or Varget per shot, and I purchased a lot of low-cost bullets & brass as well as a couple of sets of loading dies from guys who used to have a .375 in the stable, but no longer do - so shooting it hasn't been too bad - but yeah - the price of brand new factory bullets can make a guy think twice about doing a lot of shooting with it! No doubt... Speer, Sierra and Hornady all still make conventional cup and core bullets for the .375, which are affordable. Start getting into the various "premium" bullets and prices get up around a dollar a bullet real quick. I don't shoot those. Also have some cool looking cast bullets I need to try at reduced velocity.

Good hunting bullets at standard H&H velocity include stuff from 235 - 300 grains, and there are some heavier bullets made as well.

A previous owner took this very rifle to Africa and hammered cape buffalo along with other plains game with it. I don't know if I'll ever get to Africa to hunt, but I sure have plans to exercise the rifle on black bear, elk & mule deer here in the Pacific Northwest. If I ever draw that danged moose tag - I'll use this too. Just because!

Regards, Guy
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I built my shooting buddy a 338 RUM that launches 300 gr SMK's at 2950 fps. Uses 93.x grains of Retumbo. I did some initial barrel break in and load development without the muzzle brake....I had a bruise from the crook of my elbow to the center of my chest...glad the muzzle brake finally arrived!

Nice shooting iro though.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

I used to have a .378 Mark V that I put 270 Noslers in with 112 grains of powder. If I recall correctly MV was 2900 plus. I can guarantee you didn’t fire that puppy prone. You could fire it from the bench, but you didn't hunch over, you fired it with a straight back. Standing was best.

Recoil was a sharp crack at about 80 or so pounds. Very economical to shoot, 10 rounds was a days worth.

Traded it in on a .340 which was much more pleasurable and mild.

:eek:

Guy, I have several boxes of 270 gr engine turned nosler partitions from the old days and some horady 300s if you want them. They work just fine in the h&h.