Another Varmint gun!

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Buglemintoday
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 ruger

Another Varmint gun!

Post by Buglemintoday »

I'm looking into picking up another Varmint rifle to compliment my AR-15 in .204 Ruger. I really like the 22-250, 220 SWIFT, and I've recently had my eye on a .17 Rem Fireball. Anyone care to comment on any of these calibers? .243 and .25/06 may also be in the running as well.

I've owned a 22-250 and a .223 before, the .22-250 was a Rem 788 and the rifle was junk but I loved the cartridge.

So many choices :D
Last edited by Buglemintoday on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Another Varmint gun!

Post by Captqc »

I've got a Ruger #1 in 22-250 that I love. Some people complain about the accuracy of #1's but to me it's worth working on. The only thing about the 22-250 is that the recoil sometimes makes it so I don't get to see the show thru the scope. I may put a muzzle break on it but I love the looks of this rifle and a brake would detract from the looks a bit. Gary
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Hi Capt!

I have a Ruger #1 in .280 Remington that I absolutely LOVE 8) . In fact, one of the local gun shops has an unfired #1 in .220 Swift and it was one of the guns I was thinking of purchasing ;) I saw it in the shop two weeks ago and went back today just to make sure it was still there :wink:
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Oh, and please dont put a brake on the -250 :eek:

These are beautiful rifles 8)
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

If you have a 204, then you are close to the 22-250 if you are looking at ground squirrels and coyotes. I would look at the 17 Fireball, we took them on the prairie dog shoot last summer. We were easily killing them at 400 yards, once dialed in. You can see the hit in the scope to see all the red mist effect. If you are looking at beyond 400 yards for coyotes and don't care about the pelts, check out the 243 and 25-06, in my humble opinion.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

What kind of varmint hunting will you be doing? What else do you have in the safe to play around with?

I agree with a lot of what Sidewinderwa said. If I didn't have anything for the longer range shots, my first choice would be some version of a 6mm. If I was set on my longer range gun and just wanted something to compliment the AR, I'd go with another .204!

I'm in the process of doing exactly the opposite of what you're pondering. I'm building an AR in .204 to go along with my .204 bolt gun. In my opinion, the .204 is better than any of the other calibers that you mentioned for shooting inside of 400 yards. For that reason, I chose to go with a pair of .204s instead of two different calibers. Again, just my humble opinion. Best of luck with whatever route you choose.
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

I'm beginning to lean toward a .243 with 26" barrel. I've got some deer calibers and elk...I got rid of my 22/250 and 223 and built my AR - 15 in .204 Ruger...Wouldn't mind having something more devastating at longer ranges. 8)

The Fireball is an amazing cartridge and it is still in my mind as well, just not sure if I'm in need of two varmint/predator rifles under .22 cal

I've even considered buying a .243 or .260 Upper and building another AR :lol:
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Buglemintoday wrote:I've even considered buying a .243 or .260 Upper and building another AR :lol:
I don't know how much you want to spend, but you might find some of Robert Whitley's AR uppers appealing.

http://www.6mmar.com/
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Ok here goes my .02.........I go with a 6mm..............a 243 imp with a 8 twist 28-30" barrel or a 6mm Rem barefoot with a good neck and throated for 107 sierra matchkings..........same twist and barrel length. Nothing stands a chance betwee 600 and 1K.........period.
Again just my .02
Later and good luck on your choice.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I built a 6mm AI for my long range coyote gun. I actually went with the a slower twist for the 75 to 85 grain bullets as they are the better varmint weights. I did not think I needed the heavier bullets, with more recoil for varmints. It is not intended for big game, except maybe cougar. I would never give up my two 204s, one bull barrel for sage rats and one lighter rifle for coyoting. I really like the low recoil, see the hit, flat shooting red mist machines for sage rats (17 FB and 20 VarTarg). The pelts are not worth any money so I just want a quick kill.
Buglemintoday

Post by Buglemintoday »

Sidewinder - can you still see the hits in your lighter coyote rifle?
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Yes I can see the hits, most of the time. I could see the head shots on sage rats at 200 yards with it. It will be my coyote rifle the rest of this season. The 17 Fireball has less recoil and hoping the 20 VarTarg will be as nice. Just putting it together now. Can't go wrong with a 204. My lighter rifle is the Savage 11BTH, thumbhole. It is my favorite rifle. All the hits are touching, right out of the box at 100 yards.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Buglemintoday wrote:Oh, and please dont put a brake on the -250 :eek:

These are beautiful rifles 8)
Yea I know, and it may be a sin to put a break on a #1, but one of the reasons I love the .204 so much is that you get to see the show with every shot. When you use the 22-250 you have to be more aware of how you are holding the rifle to see the show. A break will reduce recoil by as much as 40%. I'll leave her alone for now but no guarantees! :wink: Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gary, you may want to consider looking at Magna-Port. They use EDM machining to cut slots in the top of the barrel @ 30* & 60* or thereabouts to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. No screw-on stuff, not much more blast than usual, and does not affect the asthetics of the barrel.

This procedure is very popular with big-bore handgun and rifle shooters, and can sometimes actually add value to a gun so treated.

Remember a long time ago when I told you why I sold my 22-250's, and why all my varmint rifles are smaller cased calibers for squirrels? (I ain't talkin' my Swift or 243AI here.......). Remember? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Buglemintoday wrote:I'm beginning to lean toward a .243 with 26" barrel. I've got some deer calibers and elk...I got rid of my 22/250 and 223 and built my AR - 15 in .204 Ruger...Wouldn't mind having something more devastating at longer ranges. 8)

The Fireball is an amazing cartridge and it is still in my mind as well, just not sure if I'm in need of two varmint/predator rifles under .22 cal

I've even considered buying a .243 or .260 Upper and building another AR :lol:
Buglemintoday, everybody but everybody needs as many sub cals. as is possible to get in the safe. Just wanting them is all the reason a man needs to have them. Cheers, Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '