Low Recoil & Big Distance...?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Low Recoil & Big Distance...?

Post by Racr350 »

I guess i finally have to admit it, im a tad recoil sensitive. :oops: And the 204 was a perfect caliber for me to begin my adventure into long range shooting. Now that I've about maxed out my distance limitations with this incredible little peanut shooter, I'm ready to step up a bit to break over the 1K barrier. Obviously I'd like to keep recoil down as much as possible. I just can't seem to shoot with precision when im waiting for a brick to the shoulder, aka flinch. So I've been considering some calibers that Id like to have in a Remington 700, and they are the 243 Win, 7MM Rem Mag, and the 308 Win. I would really like the 7mm Rem Mag, but im not sure how the recoil is on the magnum cartridge. The 243 would be nice to deal with, but i feel like it would just run out of steam past 1000yds and the wind would really bother it. Then theres the ever popular 308 which i hear doesnt kick bad . While its a nice cartridge, it drops...a lot. So lets see what you've guys have for suggestions! Open to other calibers too (but available in R700 pleaseee), but it must be something i can readily get ammo for. Dont have time to reload. :?
Thanks Guys!
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Low Recoil & Big Distance...?

Post by ryutzy »

well I would shoot the .243 AI with 105 or 107 grain VLDs with their very high BC, but that will be a problem if you dont reload. I wouldn't be expecting great results at 1000yrds with factory ammo. I do have a 7mm and it's great. With you struggling with flinching I would stay away from the 7MM or somehow learn to overcome the flinching. The 7MM does have some recoil.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Racr350

Post by Racr350 »

so the 7mm does have some recoil mm? darn..i liked the ballistics of that round. have you shot a 308 for comparison?
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

It's been too long since I've shot a .308 to give an accurate report on that. To be fair I'm shooting stiff handloads out of my 7MM,but I'm sure factory loads still have a decent amount of recoil. JMO but a .308 wouldn't be my choice in a 1000 yrd shoot. That round is a great shooting round, but it drops like a rock after 600 yrds.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Consider the 6.5-08 or now called the .260 Remington. Very high BC bullets, uses the .308 case, much less recoil, and many use it (including my son) for 1,000 yd + shooting. My sons rifle is a .260 Ackley Improved.....truly wicked at long range. :D

6.5mm bullets are some of the highest BC bullets you'll find, and the caliber is now the darling of LR shooters.

Here's a shot of Dave's custom blueprinted 6.5-08 Ackley:

Steel plates or a coyote at 1,000 yards using 'come-ups' is a done-deal with this rifle and 105gr VLD's. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Wow RIO! Nice reloading room. I have a nice room to reload etc, but I'm still working on my collection of stuff. Maybe in a few more years I can get my room as full as yours! ;)
Racr350

Post by Racr350 »

I was definitely liking the sounds of 6mm stuff. But with 260 rifles hard to come by without going full custom, i was a little scared off. Remington does offer a couple in the 700 line and one in the model 7 correct? Hows availability of ammo/prices for the 260? Ive read everywhere that this IS the caliber to have now.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

:eek: Holy Crap Rick! where have you been hiding that baby!!! :huh: Gary Like :lol:
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

The 7mm-08 is another one to consider. It is ever popular amongst us silhouette competitors. Just like the 6.5mm-08 it uses the .308 parent case. Flatter shooting and less recoil than the .308.

Brass is easy to obtain. Either buy it ready to go, or neckdown/resize .308 brass.

There are far better calibers out there than the .308 these days. Not that it is a bad caliber, but I think the military and sniper type shooters are the only reason that cartridge is still around. That seems weird to say about the venerable .308 cause it's not bad... it's just that there is better to be had these days.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trent wrote:The 7mm-08 is another one to consider.
Excellent, accurate caliber to be sure. Here's a comparison of a .270 Winchester with 130gr bullet alongside a 7mm-08 Ackley Improved with a 120gr bullet. My 7mm-08AI will shoot the 120gr at the same speed my .270W will shoot the 130gr bullet, but with TEN grains LESS powder. It is a very efficient cartridge, but has more recoil than the 6.5mm-08 cartridge (.260 Rem). The laws of physics are strictly enforced (ejecta/mass = recoil)

Trent wrote:That seems weird to say about the venerable .308 cause it's not bad... it's just that there is better to be had these days.
Better for what? I'd be very interested to know what other cartridge out there that can equal the .308W in terms of inherient accuracy, and has a weight range of bullets from 90gr all the way to 200+gr, and do it all with 50 grains or less of powder. Speed is not always everything. :mrgreen: It is probably THE most chambered centerfire round in more factory rifles (not military) than any other U.S. cartridge, and RCBS die sales always put it in the Top Ten most reloaded rounds in the U.S. every year.

"Better" is pretty subjective here....... :chin: (But you're right Trent....you CAN go faster if that's what you mean by 'better'. :D )

Captqc: Another closely guarded secret. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

I never said faster = better, and you'll probably never see me say that. :?

More accurate = better.

The 7mm-08, in my opinion, is a better cartridge than the .308. Yeah, the .308 can shoot a 200 grain pill, but the 200gr bullet is generally used in the bigger cases (30-06, .300 win mag... etc). The bullets that make up the "meat and potatoes" of the 7-08 and .308 pretty much overlap each other with the 7-08 missing out on only the heaviest of bullets.

The 7-08 shoots flatter, has less wind drift and better ballistics (and does it with less recoil) than the .308. To me, that equals better.

Just because the .308 is more common does make it inherently "better". The .308 has a LONG and fabulous history, and like I said before... there isn't necessarily anything wrong with it. In 60 years though, I would like to think that we have improved on it.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trent wrote:I would like to think that we have improved on it.
We did as you noted....the 7mm-08 & the 6.5-08 (260 Rem).
Trent wrote:More accurate = better.
Agreed, and the .308Win is one of the most inheriently accurate cartridges out there..... Maybe not 'as good as it gets', but dang close when it comes to medium bores. (Thousands of enemy would agree...... ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

(Thousands of enemy would agree...... ;)
But,,,,, Dead men tell no tales. :wtg:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

6.5x55 or 6.5x55 AI.

Step up to the 140/142 grain bullets. 1K is where the long bullets shine.

I built a 6.5x55 AI expressly to shoot long distance on prairie dogs, yotes, deer, etc. A work transfer prevented ringing my rifle (and the twin that I built with it for my shooting buddy) to find out how well this does on prairie dogs and yotes. The deer definitely did not mind the one shot wonder with the long bullets....even in the 28 mph wind.

Recoil is very tame for a caliber that will reach out there.

7 Mag definitely has recoil. A great alternative to a 7mm/284 caliber that is less in the recoil department is the 280 Rem. I have a barrel, dies, and brass on the way. Look for a report later this year. :) 162 Amax and any of the Bergers, Noslers, Etc...seem to be rather good in BC and fly well. The 7 Mag that I shoot does very well to 1K.

Another alternative, that you might consider....222 Magnum AI. Yeah...sounds weird, but it performs rather well. 80 gr Amax at 3150 does not have a huge wow factor to it, but this bullet flies rather well and hits hard at the other end. ....and...CHEAP brass is available - neck up 204 Ruger brass and shoot. Obviously, recoil is very low for this round. I used a 223 AI reamer and dies for the same. Built this rifle with a light varmint/heavy sporter specifically to be a light walk around rifle for yotes. Has been to the field, but weather and yotes have not cooperated. LESS drop than the 7 Mag with 162 AMax's to 1K yards as well.
Racr350

Post by Racr350 »

I think you guys have talked me into it. Im breaking down and pulling the trigger (no pun intended) on a Savage 12 LRP in 260 Rem. That round just sounds absolutely amazing. Less recoil, more energy, and flatter shooting than a 308 at 1000 yds. Talked to a lot of people and as far as FACTORY rifles go, sounds like you can't beat a Savage. I'm prettttty sure I'm going to start off with the Cor-Bon Match 139Gr Lapua Scenars due to the 1 in 8 Barrel. Now i just have to decide on Optics! Nikon Monarch?? :chin:

Just for kicks because the LRP is also offered in it, Anyone know anything about the 6.5 Creedmoor?? Similar ballistics to the 260 isnt it?