7mm stw Thoughts

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
majcl5

7mm stw Thoughts

Post by majcl5 »

I am considering a 7mm stw new gun. What are peoples thoughts? What gun makers make the 7mm stw? Do they still make the 7mm rum?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: 7mm stw Thoughts

Post by Ray P »

Excellent long range caliber. Remington use to make their Sendero rifle in that caliber. Since the Remington ultra mag case has shown up that has taken center stage. The 7 STW is a belted case, can be made from 8mm remington mag brass or 300 wby brass. Factory barrels are usually have a twist of 9-1/4 to 9-1/2 ( try this load on them Reloader 22/ 77.0/ 140grn Nosler BT).
It is throat burner!!. I've re-barreled mine with a 30" Hart in 8 twist to shoot 180 Bergers @ 3000 fps. A real sweetheart out to 1450 yards so far.
Hope this helps if you come across one.
More questions PM me.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

majcl5 - Do you have any experience with the good old 7mm Remington mag? What do you intend to do with your 7mm STW or 7mm RUM?

The good old 7mm Rem mag is a mighty fine cartridge, and more potent than some load manuals would have you believe. I had no problem, using "book" loads, getting the 175 Sierra, or the 175 Nosler to 2900+ fps. Accurate. Easy shooting. Lethal on a big bull elk. A 160 gr bullet can be moved out at 3,000 - 3,100 fps, and I ran factory 140 gr Remington ammo over the chronograph at an impressive 3225 fps!

The modern alternative is the 7mm WSM, with a very similar case capacity and velocity envelope.

Of course, if you want the STW or the RUM, more powder space to ya! :D

Regards, Guy
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I actually already have my dads rem 700 7mm mag. I load it with 168 Berger vld's and I bought my son a 7 mm. I just have always been intreaged With the 7mm rum and it's long range capibitys. But I am very sold on Berger bullets i have shot a lot of different bullets but have never had the accuracy of a Berger vld's I shoot them in my .300 mag , .243, 7 mm
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

My dad has one (7MM STW (Shooting Times Western-If I remember correctly)) in a Sako, he loves it. He has put up some pretty impressive shooting on elk at the 400-500 yard range. I don't recall what his origional rounds were but I know he now shoots Barnes bullets through it.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

macjl5 - It's a very simple job for a gunsmith to convert many 7mm mag rifles to a 7mm STW, if the magazine box is long enough. On a Remington 700, it's long enough. In that case, all that is needed, is to run the STW reamer into the existing 7mm Rem mag chamber, enlarging it to take the bigger cartridge.

Or if a new barrel is desired or needed, just spin off the old and spin on the new...