Varmit calibers

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Varmit calibers

Post by savageboy23 »

For some reason I am obsessed with small caliber rifles(although I own magnum ones also). I already have a .204Ruger and 2-.223 rem's.
Any suggestions on other calibers? I am waiting on the new .17 hornet and was considering a .220swift? I have access to reloading tools but do not own them myself yet but i do see it in my future :D .
I already sure Rick is gonna say get a 20VT :chin:
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Varmit calibers

Post by Joe O »

So many choices,so little time.I'm a 20guy and am having a ball with my 20 Ackley Bee.I wish one of my 204s was a 20VarTarg.And can think of a few others.When you start loading,you will know.Now standby for the 17 guys to jump in.My eyes are so bad,I cant see the 17cal bullets when I drop them on the floor.LOL
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, if you don't mind some case forming, and likely outside neck turning, then 'yes', the 20VT is quite possibly one of the very most efficient little calibers out there, and also one of the most pure 'fun' calibers I've ever had the pleasure of shooting....mild report, zero recoil, miserly on powder appitite, and reaches out easily to 500 yards with precision accuracy.

This is not to say I've abandoned my other varmint calibers....lots of choices; my lineup other than rimfires:
17 Ackley Hornet
22 Hornet
22 K-Hornet
17 Mach IV
20VT
204 Ruger
223 Rem
223 Ackley
22-250
220 Swift
243 Win
243 Ackley

There's been others that have gone down the road over the years, and many of the above calibers are represented in multiple rifles, but that's my current crop.

If I had to pick a couple to be my "only" guns for the rest of my daze.....I'd pick the 20VT and 204R. All the speed and accuracy I want, with none of the bone-jarring recoil and blast I don't want. But I'll add that the 17 Ackley Hornet is also one of the sweet little calibers that if you've not tried, you owe it to yourself to try one out if possible....another top rated "fun caliber" to be sure with amazing performance all out of proportion to the little modified Hornet case.

The new Hornady Hornet will come close to the Ackley version in terms of speed, only lacking about 200 fps, but is sure to be a commercial hit, as many of us have been shooting the wildcat version with complete satisfaction for many years. Imagine over 3,700 fps from a 20gr V-Max out of the Hornet case......that's efficiency of the First Order. ;) My favorite calibers are the small calibers.

There's lots of choices I've not listed, but that's my varmint battery of calibers......"right now".......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

That's a nice collection Rick. One day my collection will be that nice
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

To supplement the small varmint rounds I would consider either a 24 or 26 cal. The reason is, they are very accurate and arrive with a lot more thump for those (real) long-range shots. I like 25 cals too but the bullet choices are very limited compared to the others.

I too like the 20VT but IIRC, they take a special action, whereas a typical REM SA doesn't work unless it is relegated to single shot mode.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote:I too like the 20VT but IIRC, they take a special action, whereas a typical REM SA doesn't work unless it is relegated to single shot mode.Jim
Jim - The M700's sold as Fireball calibers (17 or 22) will work just dandy to convert to 20 VarTarg, as they were designed to feed the shorter case. It's just the magazine block that's needed really. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
Jim White wrote:I too like the 20VT but IIRC, they take a special action, whereas a typical REM SA doesn't work unless it is relegated to single shot mode.Jim
Jim - The M700's sold as Fireball calibers (17 or 22) will work just dandy to convert to 20 VarTarg, as they were designed to feed the shorter case. It's just the magazine block that's needed really. :D
So true. SavageBoy.. Rick is 100 % on target.. He turned me onto the 20 VT and I can guarantee you will not regret having one.
I go alongwith the comment, that if I had to choose down for the rest of my daze.. It would also be the 204 Ruger and a 20 VarTarg. :D Bill K :lol:
savageboy23

Post by savageboy23 »

I will be for sure buying at least one more .204ruger in a cooper. I have also looked at a Rem 700 204 and possibly a AR.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I started reloading ammo in 1953 but never have reloaded any wild cat ammo. I have shot prairie dogs with 17HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 22 LR, 22 WMR, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win and a few big game cartridges. I wont to try out the 17 Hornady Hornet and 5.7X28 MM cartridges when they are made in the brand of rifle I like. Take a look at the 17 Fireball for your next varmint rifle followed by a 243 Win. With the rifles you now have youll be set up for any varmint hunting you can do. There are some good wildcat varmint cartridges but you need to get reloading to enjoy them.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Plus one to tuck's post above, if you aren't reloading, the 243 ammo in varmint offering is readily availible as is the 17 FB. The 243 plus a 58 grain V-max and a dose of Varget makes an exciting p-dawg round with light recoil or load-up some heavier pills for longer distance shooting. I am guess there are commerical offerings of the 58 grain Vmax or equivlalent available.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I am really wanting a 6mmBR for long range varmint work. Since, I shoot mostly ground squirrels, it will have to wait for a while. Some of the more efficient .243/6mm benchrest calibers seem ideal for varmint hunting. I like the idea of less powder and recoil for PD hunting. Not to mention that the 6mmBR will get you out to 1,000 yds.
K = ½mv2
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I shoot a .204 Ruger, .223 Rem., .22-250, .243 Winchester, .25/06 as varmint and predator calibers. The wife shoots a .204 Ruger, .223 Rem. and the .243 Winchester.
I used to shoot a model 700 Remington in 6mm Remington several decades ago but I traded the rifle off 12 years ago. It was a very good ground hog and coyote rifle, using Sierra BT bullets in the 87 grn HP it shot .385 in MOA groups back in the 70'S, just one heck of an accurate rifle. Sometimes getting new brass cases was a pain in the neck but I did not mind one bit really. :D
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

I sure love my 17Tac.
I have a 17Tac (2), 204, 243, and soon a 20Tac.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
VLSS
.204 Ruger Guns: remmy vlss

Post by VLSS »

17 fireball. I just got one and its a blast to shoot. Not sure why Remington is abandoning the 17's.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

I've been a fan of the .221 Remington Fireball since I picked up a XP 100 chambered in that round.
Flat shooter and hitting steel out to 400+ yards would put a smile on anyones face. :D
Wondered about the 20s but was concerned about trying to handle those "liitle bitty bullets"? Turns out to be NO PROBLEM.
.204 Ruger in a rear grip pistol had too much recoil to see hits through the scope. Even added a brake but havn't fired it yet.
And for a Savage build, cut the back end off of a .204 barrel so you can chamber a resized .221 case in a 20 VT die, add a few more threads up front so you can set the headspace and you're ready to go. Same shoulder angle. Neck size can be a problem with fired, necked down cases but new .221 brass is pretty consistant. No neck turning required. :wink:
Got a 20 VT reamer in the works with a .234 neck so it'll chamber and shoot any brass. 8)

And I might add, if you get a 6BR, the accuracy of even so so rounds will be hard to believe. Bug holes are the norm without too much work. And it won't be too long before you'll be wanting a 22 BR.
Go with a short throat chamber so you can jam your bullets with liter bullets and go heavier as the throat wears.