Carry handgun for calling predators in case a cougar attacks

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Re: Carry handgun for calling predators in case a cougar attacks

Post by giterdone »

Silverfox.....Whenever I am hunting in an area where I may have a chance encounter with something that could cause me bodily harm, my 1911 .45 auto is also my constant companion. The 9mm has to fire three shots to the .45's one to come close in stopping power. I like the .357 mag. I dont like its sharp crack and muzzle jump (unless ported). The larger diameter bullet in the .45 IMHO has more stopping power also. :twocents:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I suppose I can give an opinon on stopping a big cat, since I have hunted them a few times. Now first off I can tell you to FORGETABOUT any 9mm Luger caliber handgun, just for starters. If you want something to stop a big cat or bear you might encounter on a trail hiking or biking, you need a lot more fire-power.

I would suggest at least a 45Long Colt or 41 magnum caliber. They shoot big heavy bullets and make a large entry wound. I do have my CCW weapon, which is a Glock model 29 but this is not the caliber I want in my hands with an angry cougar in front of me about to attack etc. I personally would use my Smith & Wesson model 29 in a .44magnum in my shoulder holster loaded up with hardcast reloads of mine buy Beartooth Bullets. They have a very large metplate on them.

There has been a couple of hunters hurt who tried to shoot big cats in trees with their rifles in hand, then they got a bright idea to become the guy who knocked the big cat down with their small (.38spl & 9mm) handguns. One fellow I hear tell lost and ear and took over 50 stitches to his head to boot. :)
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

Tonk - The Glock 20/20SF is the issued sidearm for the Artic Serius Team from Denmark for stopping polar bears, and is also carried by several of those in LE up in Alaska. I respect those that carry a 6 shooter for protection in the woods, but I would rather have the 10mm with a hot 200-gr Double Tap loading as my carry gun. I have a friend that did dispatch a mad griz sow with 9 rounds of .45 ACP over here in the Ennis area east of West Glacier this past year. He now has also sided up with the Glock 20SF as his daily carry.

What ever you carry, just make sure it is up for the task as shot placement is the key to surviving.
JB
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

JB is correct about shot placement. The key is having enough nerve to stand your ground and make those shots while a beast intent on tearing you apart is charging you. A friend of mine had to shoot a grizzly bear that charged him and his brother shooting past his brother who froze when the bear made his charge. :eek: My go to gun is now a Dan Wesson 10mm. I always joke that I'll save the last round for me if the first six don't drop the critter. :eew: Gary
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

Captqc - That is one beautiful Dan Wesson 10mm there. :eek: simply awesome looking!
JB
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Thanks JB, she looks even better now with her new grips I just got (Christmas present to myself). I'll snap a pic and post it real soon. Gary
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

For personal protection against something that could eat you, I recommend the heaviest round you can hit accurately with and can carry conveniently.

I load two pistol rounds 45 ACP and 44 magnum. The later I use in a scoped Smith 629 and a Ruger 77/44. The latter with heavy 44 Mag rounds makes a very acceptable camp gun. Hits very hard and is handy with a sling for this purpose. That cat would never know what hit him. Recommend recoil pad be added for most shooters. :)

For personal protection I carry a double action S&W compact metal frame in .45 ACP. You can carry it hammer down, safe off. It gets into action as fast as a double action revolver and is very compact for concealed carry. The eight round capacity of hot 185 hollow points would definitely worry a cougar while having manageable recoil. While a steady diet of these rounds is not recommended in an alloy frame, for carry purposes, the pistol would survive a few of them.

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Thanks, one again, for all the suggestions. I purchased an S&W Model 686 in .357 magnum and put a set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it. I also took my concealed weapons carry test and passed with flying colors. Here's a photo of the weapon when it had the Hogue grips on it.

I posted some photos showing the extremely poor fit of the Crimson Trace Grips probably a year ago, but here are a couple of them to let you see the big gaps between the frame and the grips. I also had trouble getting enough windage and elevation adjustment on the laser and sent the grips back in for inspection and repair. Crimson Trace sent out a new set, and I got the laser adjusted so the point of impact is great, but the fit of the grips was every bit as bad as the first set. I just grinned and figured it wasn't going to get any better and kept the second set they sent.

Thanks again for all the good advice.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

For revolvers, my 1st choice would be my Smith & Wesson Model 629 Classic Hunter with full under-lug and unfluted cylinder follwed by .my 357 (S&W 686) that looks just like Silverfox's.

For an auto loader my 1st choice would be my FADM William F. (Bull) Halsy pistol, a 10mm (S&W 1006). I defiently believe in the "hit hard, hit fast and hit often theory when dealing with prediators. Afterwards, a 1911 (45 ACP) or a Glock in 357 Sig/40 S&W/10mm/45 ACP would get the call. I know some don't like Glocks and they're uglier than ole Ma' Barker during the hangover but they just go...and go.....and go. My 1911's function too.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim: No arguement with any of your choices, and I see that "great minds think alike" too..... ;)

When I'm off the property, one of my .45's is usually with me, but for belt carry in the outback in the revolver department, our choices are identical: the S&W .44 Mag N Frame. My belt gun is an uncataloged item, a special run by Lew Horton back in the mid-80's, the Model 29 Classic Hunter, 3" unfluted.

Mine is usually stoked with my own hard cast bullet, the Keith 250gr SWC (No. 429421) over Unique at 1,100 fps.....pleasant to shoot, and brutal kitty medicine.

I just hope I never have to put it to the task for which it is intended.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick,

That's a nice lookin' tool you have there. Outside of mine, yours is the only other unfluted Model 29/629 I've ever seen and the first with the 3" barrel. Mine is the 6" version carried under my arm on my left side and/or on my right hip, depending on how I feel that particular day. Either way, she's ready and like you, I hope I never have to use it.

For auto loader prediator work (2 legged or four...) a 10mm would be a good choice IMO but, with auto loaders thay had better function, elsewise.... :eek: Performance wise, I'm figuring a hot 357 and hot 10mm are probably pretty close to each other but both lack the grunt of a hard hitting 44 Mag. For the two-legged urban prediators, its tough to beat the ole' 1911 45ACP. Heck, I still have the old "Black-Talon" ammo for defensive work (they made some nasty holes, going in & coming out)) ;) .

Jim