Delete

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Keith in Ga

Delete

Post by Keith in Ga »

Delete
Last edited by Keith in Ga on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Super Carry Pro break in....

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: Glad the Kimber SCP is working for you. Sweet pistols, eh? :wink:

In regard to those 200gr SWC's, a proper taper crimp measuring .469" at the case mouth should let those puppies function 100% in that gun. I've got four of 'em, and all four run that load through them like snot through a goose. I found that some of my old loads put up some years ago using RCBS dies did not give a crimp that gave perfect function through various 1911's using the 200gr SWC (H&G 168). Once I ran them all back through my Dillon .45 taper crimp die using the .469" crimp, problem solved.

Another thing....all my Kimbers work fine using Kimber mags, but I've been changing out to Wilson Combat mags in all the guns here.......you'll notice the difference right away. Wilson's followers are part of the formula, also the external dim's seem to be better, as the mags drop free easily from all four of my guns. Don't get me wrong, Kimber makes primo mags, I just feel (subjectively) Wilson's are better.

Both my carry Kimbers will digest just about any commercial carry load I've ever put through them. Federal Hydra-Shock HP, Winchester PDX HP, PMC Starfire HP, Rem Golden Saber HP, Speer Gold Dot HP and Hornady Critical Defense/Duty all function at a completely reliable 100% level. All seem to shoot well too, it's just picking the most accurate one in your gun, or at this point in time, what you can find and buy a stash of to last a while.....no small chore.

After I got a Kimber 22 Conversion Unit, I find myself always carrying it on one of my alloy frame guns during rat shoots for those little sneakers that pop up 15 yards (or feet!) from the bench. Accuracy using Win Power Point HP's is one ragged hole at 25 yards. Not the equal of my Ruger Target or S&W M41, but plenty accurate for Skippy and his pals.

Looks like you're almost set to have a nice 1911 Dual-Caliber setup in 22/45......let us know how it works out. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Keith,

If you don't have a taper crimp die I'd suggest getting one. The seating die can do it but...it may be putting the slightest-of-slight roll in the crimp and that could be the issue. The .469 Rick refers too is the sweet spot for a lot of guns but you may have to experiment with it to see which one is best but, unless you're a hard-holder or have access (and know how to use) a Ranson Rest you may not be able to tell the difference say between .469 or.470".

Regarding magazines, with the exception of the 1911 I always use factory magazines because they seem to work the best. For the 1911 I've had good luck with the Mec-Gar and Metalform magazines. The contract magazines including the government ones marked "COLT" aren't worth wasting your time on, IMHO.

Good luck,
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Keith
Lee makes a carbide taper crimp die for around $17.I recently got one from MidSouth,but haven't tried it yet.You probably know that Berry is working on a serrated hollow point 45.I'm waiting to try them out.
Keith in Ga

Delete

Post by Keith in Ga »

Delete
Last edited by Keith in Ga on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: Dillon makes a good case for a seating die and taper crimp die.....separate dies for each operation. I tried the RCBS seat/crimp die also, and once I switched to Dillon dies, no problems whatever. Trying to seat a bullet and then crimp it with the same die, at least for autoloading pistols is like chasing your tail.....use separate operations and you'll see why it's a bad idea to try to combine the operation in one die.

Give Dillon a call and snag one of their taper crimp dies, and I bet your Kimber FTF issues go away.....mine sure did. I'd also suggest while you're on the phone with Dillon to get an EGW .45 chamber guage. It has 8 holes reamed with .45acp chambering reamers to check your loads so you don't have to use your barrel. BIG time saver. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails