New to me pistol...problems and solutions

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

New to me pistol...problems and solutions

Post by acloco »

Have been looking for a double action revolver in 22 rimfire to purchase for teaching NRA and concealed carry classes without breaking the bank either.

Found a stainless Taurus model 94 at a gunshop 2.5 hours east of here for $300. Wow...perfect. I have a couple other Taurus revolvers and have enjoyed them. Convinced myself this would be a perfect addition.

Of course, a person does not get to test fire prior to buying....and now you almost know the rest of the story. :)

Cylinder would not rotate everytime with rounds or empty cases loaded in the cylinder. Ended up being two problems. Bushing on the cylinder was turned around....and....the firing pin spring was broken - one coil. So, with the bushing flipped, the cylinder was too close to the barrel and the firing pin would catch on the fired round or in between two rounds.

Glad I did not have to send this back.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Re: New to me pistol...problems and solutions

Post by TwentyBore »

My first used gun purchase, long ago, went the same way, I got stuck with a gun that didn't entirely work, and by the time I paid to to have it repaired, I would have been into it more than brand-new. Needless to say, I learned my lessons really quick about buying used guns. :x

Fast forward to more recent times, and I have purchased a used gun, but gave it a VERY thorough work-over, and put a good amount of ammo through it before I went ahead - and even then, I wouldn't have done it except it was a very good deal.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Good points about looking revolvers over throughly. Never been inside one of them, I'd imagine it can be pain, especially if the timing is off.

Auto-loaders are the same way and don't over look lever actions either, I've seen some problem childs with those too.

Jim
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

....and it is probably about a 50/50 chance that the dealer whom accepted the trade in, does not know they have a bum firearm on their hands either.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Jim White wrote: Auto-loaders are the same way and don't over look lever actions either, I've seen some problem childs with those too.

Jim
The bad one that I got was, of all things, a pump shotgun. While the action would "lock up" upon closing, it would not fire reliably unless you pushed firmly forward on the forearm while firing.
Gleedaniel13
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

The bad one that I got was, of all things, a pump shotgun. While the action would "lock up" upon closing, it would not fire reliably unless you pushed firmly forward on the forearm while firing.
Because of this I know we have a lot of things learned. As much as possible buy brand new guns. If ever you will buy the used one then try to check it before purchasing. :)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Buying new, I think is a better way to go. But consider this, one of my shooting buddies bought a brand new S&W revolver in .22cal. Don't recall the model #, but was an 8 shot if I am not mistaken. The first one he got had major problems with cylinder alighnment. Cylinder would drag and scuff just on 1 side of it. Sent it back to S&W for repair. S&W told my buddy that this particular revolver had to be destroyed, as in not repairable. They sent a new gun to the dealer he bought the original from. Here in the Republic of Kalifornia he had pay the fees a second time AND wait 10 days again to pick it up. He did go out and shoot the new gun, and it had similar problems. Called S&W a 2nd time. They said to return the gun to dealer, but the dealer would not take the gun back because it was the responsibility of S&W to take care of warranty work. Between him and myself, we own around 14 different models of S&W guns. Needles to say, neither one of us will ever buy another S&W shooting product. Seems like any and all quality control is gone from a lot of manufacturers in this country! :mad:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.